Eagleton College and Career Academy

BarneySox2007

While it's true there are some BCS players that siphon off to Alcoa and Maryville every year, it is NOT the reason they are making ECCA a high school. Think about it. Who benefits the most? Eagleton is a feeder for Heritage. Heritage has struggled as a 6A/5A school, so if they reduce the school population, they can potentially go down a class in 2022 and *possibly* become a more competitive team.  The result will be that WB remains a 6A football team, Heritage becomes a 4A team and ECCA is a 2A team (if they can fill a full team). I'll apologize in advance if someone has already made this point.

Edited by Mayvis
grammar

30 minutes ago, Haydiboy said:

So they built a whole school bc of football

Actually the school building is already there and has been for decades. This situation is actually 6 one way or half a dozen the other. When this gets going full steam the Eagleton school will take half the Heritage team and a small portion back from Alcoa then a few from William Blount and possibly 2 or 3 from Maryville that want more playing time. Where it will hurt is Heritage. They only had just over 30 for spring practice and even if they move down to 4A they won't be competitive but could actually be worse off. I'm sure this school isn't for football but the county is going to put fake grass out for this school unlike the two other ones. This is the distance from other schools as a bird flies so you all be the judge what school could lose players to form this new High School. Alcoa 2 miles away, Heritage 5.2 miles, Maryville 4 miles and William Blount 6.3 miles away. Alcoa has more kids from the Eagleton area on it's roster then Heritage actually has right now. Personally I think these Eagleton kids will come closer to staying together once this school goes online. Just an educated guess but I'm usually right.

So, you guys actually think this will hurt Alcoa? No chance whatsoever. While I don’t know the exact numbers of how many Eagleton kids now go to Alcoa, it’s got to be minimal. I’m not trying to be elitist, but realistically only the most outstanding of athletes would even have a chance to play there. Those are few and far between.

Hopefully, ECCA will get this right. While most of my knowledge is in the basketball realm, what I can say is BCS does a HUGE disservice to the middle school athletes. Many of the middle school (and even some high school) coaches (from all sports) are dads (or are somehow related) to players. When you start playing daddy ball, it harms everyone. As a result, good athletes will seek out opportunities at other schools-and there are plenty around here to choose from. 

1 hour ago, Mayvis said:

So, you guys actually think this will hurt Alcoa? No chance whatsoever. While I don’t know the exact numbers of how many Eagleton kids now go to Alcoa, it’s got to be minimal. I’m not trying to be elitist, but realistically only the most outstanding of athletes would even have a chance to play there. Those are few and far between.

Hopefully, ECCA will get this right. While most of my knowledge is in the basketball realm, what I can say is BCS does a HUGE disservice to the middle school athletes. Many of the middle school (and even some high school) coaches (from all sports) are dads (or are somehow related) to players. When you start playing daddy ball, it harms everyone. As a result, good athletes will seek out opportunities at other schools-and there are plenty around here to choose from. 

Sure it will be felt some. The saving grace for Alcoa is all the apartments that are being built a mile down the road from the high school. The negative is that would push them into 4A especially how Blount County is growing. The one surprising thing so far to me is Maryville Christian School hasn't stepped into the football world yet but when it does all the money will come flying in from the people that are sick and tired of how all three schools are run in this county.

44 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Sure it will be felt some. The saving grace for Alcoa is all the apartments that are being built a mile down the road from the high school. The negative is that would push them into 4A especially how Blount County is growing. The one surprising thing so far to me is Maryville Christian School hasn't stepped into the football world yet but when it does all the money will come flying in from the people that are sick and tired of how all three schools are run in this county.

So you think Alcoa going to 4A would be a negative for them?  They will still win the gold ball almost every year. Sure they may have a slightly tougher row to hoe but seriously they would be the favorite every year. 

1 hour ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

So you think Alcoa going to 4A would be a negative for them?  They will still win the gold ball almost every year. Sure they may have a slightly tougher row to hoe but seriously they would be the favorite every year. 

Why don't they just go ahead and play up now?

11 minutes ago, JustinBuck said:

Why don't they just go ahead and play up now?

The coach won't do it. Likes those cream puffs that don't have the financial means to compete. When Nix takes that ship over I bet he won't pussyfoot around and move right up the ladder and play somebody worth going to see. Otherwise the only reason to go see Alcoa and a team like Union County would be to get some hamburgers half price before leaving the game.

1 hour ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Only if Eagleton keeps the kids they start off with. It would be a little tougher than usual. Otherwise they could win it in 5A.