One State Tournament

901Hoops850

How many states lump all classifications together for the state tournament? I'd love to see that. I know the attendances at these high schools are not comparable, but it all comes down to how many girls play basketball. What I see at the AAA level locally is that there are not strong JV programs, so the "program" is not very big. Some of these A and AA teams that I see in the summer or preseason have 20 kids around their program. There are so many good teams around the state across divisions! What is you took the top 32 teams in the state?

For example: Greenfield, Ensworth, Macon County, Arlington, Bearden, Summertown, Upperman, Northview Academy, Brentwood Academy, Trinity Christian, Houston, Clarkrange, Stone Memorial, Bradley Central, Loretto, Beech, Whitehaven, Westview, Gibson County, Goodpasture, Briarcrest.....etc. 

That'd be an incredible tournament to watch. I don't think this state does a good enough job of showcasing all of the classifications. I think the most popular teams around the state are the smaller schools, whereas in football or boys basketball, it's different. I think some schools do a good job of scheduling these kinds of games. I think Arlington does a good job of going and playing the Greenfield's and Gibson County's...but alot of teams across the state just pound on weaker schools in their classifications and then want to be recognized when the rankings come out.

This hypothetical depends on who’s allowed into the tournament.

Greenfield may be the best public school team in TN this year. I haven’t seen all the top AAA teams so hard for me to say definitively.

Ensworth is the best team in TSSAA this year.

Hamilton Heights is the best team in Tennessee.

21 minutes ago, Indian said:

You could have it the following weekend. Division I-A,AA, and AAA champs, Division II A and AA champs. One team gets a bye (random). Double header Friday night. Semifinal games at 12 and 2 Saturday then finals at 7 on Saturday night. 

I like that idea and it makes TSSAA more money. That would be awesome. 

1 hour ago, maddams said:

This hypothetical depends on who’s allowed into the tournament.

Greenfield may be the best public school team in TN this year. I haven’t seen all the top AAA teams so hard for me to say definitively.

Ensworth is the best team in TSSAA this year.

Hamilton Heights is the best team in Tennessee.

You are probably right. 

1 hour ago, Indian said:

You could have it the following weekend. Division I-A,AA, and AAA champs, Division II A and AA champs. One team gets a bye (random). Double header Friday night. Semifinal games at 12 and 2 Saturday then finals at 7 on Saturday night. 

I think Kentucky does this. My issues are including the Private Schools that load up on talent, Public Schools have tried for years to get a separation of classes and when both were together Private Schools won a much larger percentage of the State Championships and teams like CPA were still playing public schools and dominating the girls and boys divisions. I don’t think the public schools would vote for this type of tournament. 

Plus I don’t think many coaches would enjoy celebrating a State Championship then playing a week later and getting beaten by 30. Maybe the best idea would be to have this the next season during the regular season around Christmas with both Boys and Girls teams competing.

4 hours ago, Khall555 said:

I think Kentucky does this. My issues are including the Private Schools that load up on talent, Public Schools have tried for years to get a separation of classes and when both were together Private Schools won a much larger percentage of the State Championships and teams like CPA were still playing public schools and dominating the girls and boys divisions. I don’t think the public schools would vote for this type of tournament. 

Plus I don’t think many coaches would enjoy celebrating a State Championship then playing a week later and getting beaten by 30. Maybe the best idea would be to have this the next season during the regular season around Christmas with both Boys and Girls teams competing.

But then it wouldn’t be nearly as fun because all of the seniors from each of the teams would be graduated and gone if you waited till the next year

15 hours ago, sportslover88 said:

But then it wouldn’t be nearly as fun because all of the seniors from each of the teams would be graduated and gone if you waited till the next year

Name one coach that wants to win the State Tournament, celebrate on the court, cut down the nets, and then play another state Tournament a week later and get beat by 30. Teams want to end the season with a win not a loss. With this idea the TSSAA should just get rid of divisions and classification and have one huge State Tournament.