Whitwell playing North Jackson - could this be the return

CougarDadx2

• 2 weeks later...

NJ picked Whitwell so they could possibly get to say they beat a Valley team. 
 It’s remember, NJ drives past the team they avoid to play! Unless you want to pay to watch a scrimmage, full concession stand, paid refs and no coaches on the field! That’s not a scrimmage, NJ wanted to play a real game...you want a real game put it in writing!

12 hours ago, CaptainJackRackam said:

NJ picked Whitwell so they could possibly get to say they beat a Valley team. 
 It’s remember, NJ drives past the team they avoid to play! Unless you want to pay to watch a scrimmage, full concession stand, paid refs and no coaches on the field! That’s not a scrimmage, NJ wanted to play a real game...you want a real game put it in writing!

I would love to see NJ play anyone from Bledsoe down to SP, it would bring back memories. But your saying NJ is unwilling? I hear the opposite, was told when CT got the job he wanted an SP game but couldn't work it out? Regardless, I would like to see Vic and CT pull it off. Heck the gate and level of competition would be great for both.

1 hour ago, CougarDadx2 said:

I would love to see NJ play anyone from Bledsoe down to SP, it would bring back memories. But your saying NJ is unwilling? I hear the opposite, was told when CT got the job he wanted an SP game but couldn't work it out? Regardless, I would like to see Vic and CT pull it off. Heck the gate and level of competition would be great for both.

NJ always wanted the game at their place.  They didn't want to do a home and away.  There is no way to keep them from welching if you play at their place 1st.  Jasper thumped them the 1st 2 years and they ran away even harder.  NJ seemed to be stronger in those earlier days as well and they wanted no part of those 90s Jasper teams nor the Pirate teams.  Most of the valley teams play anyway.  NJ wasn't an SVC team so it isn't has historical.  That said, Maybe Jasper can play Whitwell again now that the 3 or 4 year window of Whitwell wins is closed.

Edited by rlh

3 hours ago, rlh said:

NJ always wanted the game at their place.  They didn't want to do a home and away.  There is no way to keep them from welching if you play at their place 1st.  Jasper thumped them the 1st 2 years and they ran away even harder.  NJ seemed to be stronger in those earlier days as well and they wanted no part of those 90s Jasper teams nor the Pirate teams.  Most of the valley teams play anyway.  NJ wasn't an SVC team so it isn't has historical.  That said, Maybe Jasper can play Whitwell again now that the 3 or 4 year window of Whitwell wins is closed.

We had the SVC discussion earlier in the thread, as someone said, by the time NJ was created ('89) the SVC was pretty much done. Still miss buses coming through SP on Friday before and after games - kids yelling out the windows to see who won or lost.

About the time Colquitt had Jasper tuned up NJ came into being - and your right, it was not pretty. Prior to that the B'port and Stevenson teams gave him fits (if I am not mistaken Jasper got deep in the playoffs in '82 but had lost to B'port and Stevenson). In any case that valley has a stretch of good football and I sure wish they could all get back to playing.

3 hours ago, CougarDadx2 said:

We had the SVC discussion earlier in the thread, as someone said, by the time NJ was created ('89) the SVC was pretty much done. Still miss buses coming through SP on Friday before and after games - kids yelling out the windows to see who won or lost.

About the time Colquitt had Jasper tuned up NJ came into being - and your right, it was not pretty. Prior to that the B'port and Stevenson teams gave him fits (if I am not mistaken Jasper got deep in the playoffs in '82 but had lost to B'port and Stevenson). In any case that valley has a stretch of good football and I sure wish they could all get back to playing.

Ironically, K.C. was at Bridgeport for a few years before going to Jasper.  He had  Bridgeport playing pretty tough by the time he went to Jasper. 

On a separate note, it seems that most of the old Bridgeport and Stevenson rivals in Alabama are still around.  Skyline, Section, Fyffe, North Sand Mtn, Geraldine, Madison Co (Gurley) etc.  Fyffe breezed 15 - 0 to a 2a state title in 2019. North Sand Mtn lost a close one in the 3rd rd of 2a playoffs.