Preseason Top Ten in 4A for 2020

FridayMainEvent

3 hours ago, FridayMainEvent said:

I've began looking at what teams have returning for next year.   Any sleepers out there we should keep an eye on or should we expect the traditional powers to dominate again this season?   Who's your top ten right now?   Opinions?

It is my opinion that the usual suspects will be sitting ready to win the 4A championship again this year.  I am on the Eastern side of the state, so I am more familiar with Anderson County, Elizabethton, and Greeneville.  I know Anderson County is loaded at the skill positions for 2020, and Elizabethton and Greeneville will always have very good teams.  Those three, as they have the last three years, will fight it out for the opportunity to play whoever wins the west side of the state.   The road to Cookeville this year will travel through Anderson County again, and the winner of that game will host a semi round game to go to the championship.  I know all three of the above mentioned teams cant wait to play the other, and as a fan, we can't wait to watch it.  

3 hours ago, olhickory said:

It is my opinion that the usual suspects will be sitting ready to win the 4A championship again this year.  I am on the Eastern side of the state, so I am more familiar with Anderson County, Elizabethton, and Greeneville.  I know Anderson County is loaded at the skill positions for 2020, and Elizabethton and Greeneville will always have very good teams.  Those three, as they have the last three years, will fight it out for the opportunity to play whoever wins the west side of the state.   The road to Cookeville this year will travel through Anderson County again, and the winner of that game will host a semi round game to go to the championship.  I know all three of the above mentioned teams cant wait to play the other, and as a fan, we can't wait to watch it.  

Like you said out of the East you have your normal top 3.  In my opinion coming into next season i see it as 1. Betsy (There return a bulk of that state championship team including the entire OL, Rollins (Early Favorite to win a Mr. Football), Hughes, Morton, etc.  They started a ton of Juniors and Sophomores last season. 2.  Greeneville.  Mason Gudger will be the work horse (One miss tackle and aren't catching him), but a lot of young talent will step up.  QB is back and AC still hasn't gotten the Greene Devil Monkey off their back. AC. 3. AC has the talent to play with anyone the one glaring weakness has been overall team speed in the losses I've seen in the past 3 years.  Yes they have some fast players but overall team speed hasn't been on the level of the last 3 state championship teams that have represented Quad 1.  This isn't coming from a Betsy fan either just a Rival (A Greene Devil) who watches a lot of football

I don't know too much about what the West side of the state has coming back from last years teams.  I know you will have a good breakdown FridayMainEvent so i'll wait to see your favorites on that side :thumb:

• Like 1

I'd say the Top 10 could look something like this based on last year.

1. Elizabethton-champs until proven different

2. Greeneville-always find a way to be a top team

3. Springfield-state runner up

4. Anderson County-good team, return a lot of talent and experience

5. Nolensville-final 4 team last year, newer school, won't be in 4a for long

6. Haywood-final 4 team, always a factor out west

7. Crockett County-quarters team that put up big points in the playoffs

8. Livingston Academy-11-1, great season, don't know what they return

9. Dekalb County-quarters team last season, don't know what they return

10. East Hamilton-2nd year under the new coach, turned it around last season, lost some key guys, return the qb, OL, and some skill.

1 hour ago, 423Ball said:

I'd say the Top 10 could look something like this based on last year.

1. Elizabethton-champs until proven different

2. Greeneville-always find a way to be a top team

3. Springfield-state runner up

4. Anderson County-good team, return a lot of talent and experience

5. Nolensville-final 4 team last year, newer school, won't be in 4a for long

6. Haywood-final 4 team, always a factor out west

7. Crockett County-quarters team that put up big points in the playoffs

8. Livingston Academy-11-1, great season, don't know what they return

9. Dekalb County-quarters team last season, don't know what they return

10. East Hamilton-2nd year under the new coach, turned it around last season, lost some key guys, return the qb, OL, and some skill.

That's a great breakdown and eerily similar to what I currently have.

19 hours ago, Swipes said:

Like you said out of the East you have your normal top 3.  In my opinion coming into next season i see it as 1. Betsy (There return a bulk of that state championship team including the entire OL, Rollins (Early Favorite to win a Mr. Football), Hughes, Morton, etc.  They started a ton of Juniors and Sophomores last season. 2.  Greeneville.  Mason Gudger will be the work horse (One miss tackle and aren't catching him), but a lot of young talent will step up.  QB is back and AC still hasn't gotten the Greene Devil Monkey off their back. AC. 3. AC has the talent to play with anyone the one glaring weakness has been overall team speed in the losses I've seen in the past 3 years.  Yes they have some fast players but overall team speed hasn't been on the level of the last 3 state championship teams that have represented Quad 1.  This isn't coming from a Betsy fan either just a Rival (A Greene Devil) who watches a lot of football

I don't know too much about what the West side of the state has coming back from last years teams.  I know you will have a good breakdown FridayMainEvent so i'll wait to see your favorites on that side :thumb:

Great Post, I can go with you on the Mavs not being as fast the last couple years.  I can go with the team speed to a point, but East Ham, East Ridge, Chatt Central and Chatt Howard  all seem to be faster than the Mavs the last three years.  I think the 2019 Greeneville team was faster,  When I watch most games, and some teams are way faster than the Mavs but don't match the physicality of the them.  Greeneville has been more physical, and the Mavs coaches know that has been a difference.  The Mavs have beaten Elizabethton both times (17,18) when they have met in the past at Anderson County, and Elizabethton was a very  physical team both games.  The Mavs were just too much for them.   Last year, Elizabethton had a great football team, with most coming back.  This will make for an exciting season in 4A. Greeneville will be great and Gudger can go the distance anytime.  He was held to one long run against the Mavs last season, but that was enough.   I have enjoyed the build up to those three games the past 3 seasons, and this year will be no different.  The playoffs have to come through Anderson County, and I know this AC team has depth and more skill level talent than they are used to having.  They will lose some size up front , but with that they will have athletic kids up there that can move their feet, and give defenses problems.   Should make for an exciting playoff season.  

18 hours ago, olhickory said:

Great Post, I can go with you on the Mavs not being as fast the last couple years.  I can go with the team speed to a point, but East Ham, East Ridge, Chatt Central and Chatt Howard  all seem to be faster than the Mavs the last three years.  I think the 2019 Greeneville team was faster,  When I watch most games, and some teams are way faster than the Mavs but don't match the physicality of the them.  Greeneville has been more physical, and the Mavs coaches know that has been a difference.  The Mavs have beaten Elizabethton both times (17,18) when they have met in the past at Anderson County, and Elizabethton was a very  physical team both games.  The Mavs were just too much for them.   Last year, Elizabethton had a great football team, with most coming back.  This will make for an exciting season in 4A. Greeneville will be great and Gudger can go the distance anytime.  He was held to one long run against the Mavs last season, but that was enough.   I have enjoyed the build up to those three games the past 3 seasons, and this year will be no different.  The playoffs have to come through Anderson County, and I know this AC team has depth and more skill level talent than they are used to having.  They will lose some size up front , but with that they will have athletic kids up there that can move their feet, and give defenses problems.   Should make for an exciting playoff season.  

Championships are always won in the trenches so yes speed doesn't  always win but it helps lol.  Physicality is what won Sullivan South playoff game against East Ham as the 3 seed vs the 2 seed and also beating Chatt Central the year before as the 3 seed.

I was talking to a buddy the other day how AC can't seem to beat Greeneville and Betsy couldn't seem to beat AC.  Gudger was maintained most of the game last year but once he made one person miss he just kept gaining on everyone for the long TD run.  It's definitely the same 3 man race as the last 3 years!  Look forward to another awesome season!

Edited by Swipes

12 hours ago, WarEagleCartman said:

Haywood just had 2 seniors commit to Florida State today. They still have a mess load of talent coming back including a D-1 RB and lineman  

Williamson and Douglas will be big shoes to fill.  Is Camron Markeston's little brother?

Edited by FridayMainEvent

31 minutes ago, dhstennis said:

Lemme get in on this fun...it's been a long 3 years

1. Elizabethton

2. Greeneville

3. Springfield

4. Hardin Co.

5. Haywood Co.

6. Anderson Co.

7. Nolensville

8. Dekalb Co.

9. Livingston Academy

10. Liberty Tech

So you think Liberty will be better than north side and south side?  What about Lexington??

7 hours ago, FridayMainEvent said:

Williamson and Douglas will be big shoes to fill.  Is Camron Markeston's little brother?

Williamson was injured mid October and didn't play after that. Their stud rb missed the playoffs too I believe. They have talent everywhere. Idk if Cam and Markeston are related but they both have the freak gene.