Preseason Top Ten in 4A for 2020

FridayMainEvent

1 hour ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

The west in 3A is brutal and much tougher than the west in 4A in my opinion. Would be a good move for y’all. 

That sounds like rough sledding all the way around for a  3A team coming out of the west.I'm not that familiar with the teams over on that side unless they make it to the finals.Then more times then not,we all know what's coming out of the east in 3A .Alcoa is a team you just have to catch in a rebuilding year most of the time unless your Maryville .4A in the east isn't nearly as rough as it has been in the past . Maryville ,before we had 6A was a wall in 4A and at times there have been some other very powerful 4A teams in the Knoxville area that moved on.Catholic,Fulton and then Central. Not saying it's a cake walk because Greeneville and Elizabethton have very strong programs.That Devil team a couple years ago was one of the best teams I have personally ever seen from NET and one of the better teams anywhere in the state that year.

3 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

The west in 3A is brutal and much tougher than the west in 4A in my opinion. Would be a good move for y’all. 

The problem with Swarm's logic is should they get put in with Marshall County, they would go east in 4A.  That means Greeneville, Betsy, and AC.   That path would be just as hard as the current hurdle of the 3A West teams.   Just ask Marshall County.  They've had a couple of teams in recent years that were really good, but couldn't get past the semi finals.

5 minutes ago, FridayMainEvent said:

The problem with Swarm's logic is should they get put in with Marshall County, they would go east in 4A.  That means Greeneville, Betsy, and AC.   That path would be just as hard as the current hurdle of the 3A West teams.   Just ask Marshall County.  They've had a couple of teams in recent years that were really good, but couldn't get past the semi finals.

That's not Swarm's logic MainEventMan. 

We couldn't have gotten out of the 3rd round most likely in quad 2 4a the last decade. Quad 3 4a?? Absolutely. That's what I was referring to. Geography is friendlier to some than others. That was my point in all this. 

Glad to see some good discussion here. Sure hope we get to see some football before long! I enjoy your shows. Keep up the good work. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

We're on the same page and I agree. 

If we went West it's a no brainer. If we go East it's way tougher region schedule and just as tough of sledding in November as it is currently. 

Edit- I'd be okay with either though. At the rate homes are being built and sold in Fairview it's just a matter of time before we're there enrollment wise anyway. Obviously going to 5 classes will shake all that up if it happens. 

Edited by Swarm

1 hour ago, Swarm said:

That's not Swarm's logic MainEventMan. 

We couldn't have gotten out of the 3rd round most likely in quad 2 4a the last decade. Quad 3 4a?? Absolutely. That's what I was referring to. Geography is friendlier to some than others. That was my point in all this. 

Glad to see some good discussion here. Sure hope we get to see some football before long! I enjoy your shows. Keep up the good work. 

The 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017, and 2018 teams would have all had a great shot of reaching the state semifinals in Quads II and III of Class 4A.  They could have been a Second Round of Quarterfinalist team in those year as well in 4A just as they were in 3A in those years.  Milan (twice), CPA, Goodpasture, Pearl-Cohn, and a magical run by Stratford two years ago have been a hurdle in the Quarterfinals of the playoffs.  If Fairview continues to play at a high level (92-29 the last 10 years) and reaches that point enough times that will be a barrier that eventually gets conquered.  A lot of teams that play in enough of those games eventually find that one year where everything falls into place and they get over the hump.  The craziest part of all is that the 2012 Fairview team (record wise although only 8-4) may have been the most talented of all of their teams over the last decade.  They just had so many injuries to key players at the wrong time.  The same thing happened to the 2016 team as well.  I would say that many would have to agree that 7 of the last 10 teams have been among the Top 8-10 teams in the state in their class.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, howdoitknow said:

The 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017, and 2018 teams would have all had a great shot of reaching the state semifinals in Quads II and III of Class 4A.  They could have been a Second Round of Quarterfinalist team in those year as well in 4A just as they were in 3A in those years.  Milan (twice), CPA, Goodpasture, Pearl-Cohn, and a magical run by Stratford two years ago have been a hurdle in the Quarterfinals of the playoffs.  If Fairview continues to play at a high level (92-29 the last 10 years) and reaches that point enough times that will be a barrier that eventually gets conquered.  A lot of teams that play in enough of those games eventually find that one year where everything falls into place and they get over the hump.  The craziest part of all is that the 2012 Fairview team (record wise although only 8-4) may have been the most talented of all of their teams over the last decade.  They just had so many injuries to key players at the wrong time.  The same thing happened to the 2016 team as well.  I would say that many would have to agree that 7 of the last 10 teams have been among the Top 8-10 teams in the state in their class.  

Agree 110% Howdy. You definitely know your Yellowjackets. 

That 2012 team was probably the most talented we ever had IMO. The 2016 team was probably as solid across the board as any team we've had. I think 2013 & 2017 was way on up there too. 2016 had the best shot to get through region 5 but it all fell apart at the end of tbe first half with an injury that just rocked us mentally. #23 is family so It rocked me too. But i digress. Woulda, could, shoulda, I reckon. 

5 hours ago, Swarm said:

Agree 110% Howdy. You definitely know your Yellowjackets. 

That 2012 team was probably the most talented we ever had IMO. The 2016 team was probably as solid across the board as any team we've had. I think 2013 & 2017 was way on up there too. 2016 had the best shot to get through region 5 but it all fell apart at the end of tbe first half with an injury that just rocked us mentally. #23 is family so It rocked me too. But i digress. Woulda, could, shoulda, I reckon. 

Here are the numbers from an overall victories standpoint.  If you look at Class 3A and then look everyone in Division I State-Wide over the course of past decade:

1.)  Alcoa (131 Wins:  #1 in 3A; #2 State-Wide)

2.)  Pearl-Cohn (96 Wins:  #2 in 3A; Tied for #13 State-Wide)

3.)  Covington (94 Wins:  #3 in 3A; Tied for #17 State-Wide)

4.)  Fairview (92 Wins:  #4 in 3A; #20 State-Wide)

Only 22 schools in the state have won 90 or more games over the last 10 years.

Here are the numbers for fewest number of losses over that same period of time.  Again look at Class 3A first then look at everyone in Division I State-Wide:

1.)  Alcoa (15 Losses:  #1 in 3A; #3 State-Wide)

2.)  Fairview (29 Losses:  #2 in 3A; #12 State-Wide)

Only 12 schools in the state have lost fewer than 30 games over the last 10 years.  

2 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

He should be a part of it in 2020 also and be a part of Fairview High School hopefully playing for a State Championship come December.  That's the goal at the end of the day.  

He graduated in 2017 so I don't think he's eligible but I'm sure he's up for it lol. 

Expect Region 4-4A to be as strong as ever this year with the exception of Maplewood. I don't believe they will return to their heights of two years ago. Marshall Co., Nolensville, and Tullahoma return solid numbers of starters. Expect those three to finish as the top three seeds in 4-4A.

DeKalb is the team to beat in 3-4A in my opinion. Remember, two of the previous three years, 4-4A swept 3-4A in the opening round of the playoffs. Last year may have been a fluke. 

Sleeper in 4A? Look no further than Tullahoma, the school I have done play-by-play for 35 years. The Wildcats have their entire line back (I'm talking like eight or nine guys), a dual-threat junior QB in Ryan Scott, a legitimate D1 prospect in Jakobe Thomas, a dynamic, playmaking defensive leader in linebacker Justin Scott, and a couple of transfers who could be the missing pieces.

The schedule is tough for Tullahoma, with trips to Marshall Co. and Maplewood, but the Wildcats get Nolensville at home. 

19 hours ago, Swarm said:

He graduated in 2017 so I don't think he's eligible but I'm sure he's up for it lol. 

Yeah I know when he graduated.  I remember him VERY WELL from that year.  When I was teaching/coaching at Stewart County he caught an 85 yard TD pass right up the seam and outran everyone on the field to paydirt early in the game.  

My post was meant as a compliment to him and all of the other great players that have played for past teams.  #68, #74, #1, #10, and #2 from 2018.  #8, #44, #21, #52, and #50 from 2017.  #23, #4, #7, #75 from 2016.  #80 from 2010.  #21, #10, #19, #88, and #66 from 2011 and 2012.  #23, #25, #22, #5, and #8 from 2013.  There have been so many countless great players to come through the program over the past decade and I wish they all were apart of it every single year.  

It would be so hard to sit here and make an all-decade team out of all of the guys I just mentioned and so many others.  

Edited by howdoitknow