Preseason Top Ten in 4A for 2020

FridayMainEvent

On 3/31/2020 at 8:43 PM, FridayMainEvent said:

Alright fellas, I seriously like to see some "Top Ten" lists from you guys.   

I'm planning to do a our "Spring Preview Show" sometime in the next couple of weeks and I do respect the opinion of many of your guys.    We plan to reveal our spring top ten on this show and your input would be appreciated.   Obviously, I try and keep up with returning players and other indicators, but first hand knowledge from you guys goes a long way in our decision process.    Help us out by providing your top ten and reasoning behind it.

Thanks so much guys!

2020 Mavericks load up again for another exciting season.  They will miss 3 year starter Austin Elliott, and some big boys up front including Gage Terry, Matt Murphy, and Jacob McCall.  The bulk of the starters return, and the Mavs look to be reloaded again for 2020.  They will return Russ Lindsey and Stone Cummins, arguably two of the best tandem LB's to come through the program, Oglesby, Sexton, and Goins all return with playing time in the trenches.  Behind them a talented group of cover guys and solid tacklers on defense with Thomas, Vowell, White, Godwin-Milller, Terry , and Williams who all saw playing time during the 2019 season.  Look for  Brock, Meier and Cox to  be immediate impact players as well. Hatmaker returns at QB after a 2000 yard junior season throwing the ball to all the guys listed above.  This team is loaded again.   The young guns, like Vowell, Noe, Miller,Russell, West and Davis will all be on the field as well.  QB-2 Martinez is an X factor, and look for him to play a lot this season as he gets ready to take the wheel  on Fridays.  He is a stud and has a cannon as he proved in 2019 on Friday nights connecting on several TD passes throughout his freshman campaign.  The Mavericks will have 5 Star Kicker Punter Daniel Bethel back to kick and punt, so don't look for any returns in that area.   The staff in intact as usual, and the stampede will continue.  Elizabethton and Greeneville always have the key to the gate, and we will always look forward to hosting either of these two fine programs this year as the playoffs on this side of the state in 4 A will come through Anderson County.   I am sure I left a few names, and I am sure someone will be able to help me remember a few returning starters from last season, so feel free to mention any that I forgot.  I know the Maverick fans are chomping at the bit for 2020, and it will be here before we know.  As Coach Terry always says, "#HookEm"

1 hour ago, olhickory said:

2020 Mavericks load up again for another exciting season.  They will miss 3 year starter Austin Elliott, and some big boys up front including Gage Terry, Matt Murphy, and Jacob McCall.  The bulk of the starters return, and the Mavs look to be reloaded again for 2020.  They will return Russ Lindsey and Stone Cummins, arguably two of the best tandem LB's to come through the program, Oglesby, Sexton, and Goins all return with playing time in the trenches.  Behind them a talented group of cover guys and solid tacklers on defense with Thomas, Vowell, White, Godwin-Milller, Terry , and Williams who all saw playing time during the 2019 season.  Look for  Brock, Meier and Cox to  be immediate impact players as well. Hatmaker returns at QB after a 2000 yard junior season throwing the ball to all the guys listed above.  This team is loaded again.   The young guns, like Vowell, Noe, Miller,Russell, West and Davis will all be on the field as well.  QB-2 Martinez is an X factor, and look for him to play a lot this season as he gets ready to take the wheel  on Fridays.  He is a stud and has a cannon as he proved in 2019 on Friday nights connecting on several TD passes throughout his freshman campaign.  The Mavericks will have 5 Star Kicker Punter Daniel Bethel back to kick and punt, so don't look for any returns in that area.   The staff in intact as usual, and the stampede will continue.  Elizabethton and Greeneville always have the key to the gate, and we will always look forward to hosting either of these two fine programs this year as the playoffs on this side of the state in 4 A will come through Anderson County.   I am sure I left a few names, and I am sure someone will be able to help me remember a few returning starters from last season, so feel free to mention any that I forgot.  I know the Maverick fans are chomping at the bit for 2020, and it will be here before we know.  As Coach Terry always says, "#HookEm"

No such thing as 5* punters/kickers

10 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

No such thing as 5* punters/kickers

National Kicking GURU Chris Sailer would beg to differ.  chrissailerkicking.com/playerranking will guide you through the kickers and punters from all over the nation. Coach Sailer host kicking academies all over the nation throughout the year to evaluate kickers. He actually does his homework and ranks his kickers instead of just going on a thread and shooting his mouth off.  If you look, you will see a list of young men who work at their craft and attend these clinics to get the rankings they get. 

2 hours ago, olhickory said:

National Kicking GURU Chris Sailer would beg to differ.  chrissailerkicking.com/playerranking will guide you through the kickers and punters from all over the nation. Coach Sailer host kicking academies all over the nation throughout the year to evaluate kickers. He actually does his homework and ranks his kickers instead of just going on a thread and shooting his mouth off.  If you look, you will see a list of young men who work at their craft and attend these clinics to get the rankings they get. 

Not saying you are wrong because I'm very familiar with Chris Sailer's camps (Both Greeneville's LS and Kicker attended last year).  He goes off a 5star (D1 recruit) 4star (D2 recruit) ands 3star (D3 recruit) and not the same as national ranking such as Rivals, 247 Sports, etc. were no kicker or LS will have a 4 or 5 star next to their name.  Sailer's had Albright as a 5star on his site, the #2 LS in the nation, and played in the Army All-American game but 247 has him as a 2 star and a UT Committ.  He had Jones (Greeneville's kicker as a 5 star and he committed to Mars Hill ) so year right on one hand but not on the national ranking stage since they don't use Chris's rankings for that.

Edited by Swipes

4 hours ago, olhickory said:

But the kicker at Lexington claims he is a 5* as well, and the kicker at Westview claims that he is a 4.5* (which no one gives out "half stars"). According to Rivals, our best player in the state is a 4*. You're telling me that on April 5, 2020 is the day where we have two 5* kickers, a 4.5* (somehow) kicker, but our best player is not a 5*? Man, times have changed. 

Edited by TryNotToSuck

On 4/5/2020 at 1:10 PM, TryNotToSuck said:

But the kicker at Lexington claims he is a 5* as well, and the kicker at Westview claims that he is a 4.5* (which no one gives out "half stars"). According to Rivals, our best player in the state is a 4*. You're telling me that on April 5, 2020 is the day where we have two 5* kickers, a 4.5* (somehow) kicker, but our best player is not a 5*? Man, times have changed. 

Here again, not going to debate whether or not Tennessee has two 5 star kickers , but I will reiterate that the Mavericks are loaded again, and excited to get this season started.  They have a ton of skill player talent, a returning QB who threw for 2000+ yards, a top ranked kicker/punter, and a new face or two that are gonna surprise some folks.   In saying that, I also understand that Greeneville and Elizabethton will also be very good on the east side of the state.  They do a great job every year, and this year will be no different.  It makes it that much more fun to know that East Tennessee football  is alive and well.  I cannot wait to see the fireworks , big plays, and the big games at AC this fall.  Let's get this virus out of here and get this thing kicked off.  

14 hours ago, olhickory said:

Here again, not going to debate whether or not Tennessee has two 5 star kickers , but I will reiterate that the Mavericks are loaded again, and excited to get this season started.  They have a ton of skill player talent, a returning QB who threw for 2000+ yards, a top ranked kicker/punter, and a new face or two that are gonna surprise some folks.   In saying that, I also understand that Greeneville and Elizabethton will also be very good on the east side of the state.  They do a great job every year, and this year will be no different.  It makes it that much more fun to know that East Tennessee football  is alive and well.  I cannot wait to see the fireworks , big plays, and the big games at AC this fall.  Let's get this virus out of here and get this thing kicked off.  

Question for you olhickory,  What do you think the Mav's have to do to get the big greene devil off their back?  AC has had  talented teams the last 3 years but seem to lay an egg against the Devil's, especially the last 2 years.  You do return Hatmaker at QB that threw for over 2,000 yards last year but only had 66 yards passing and 2 int's agains the Devils. In that game it looked like he was just throwing it up and hoping his WR's could get the ball (Didn't work against an athletic and disciplined Secondary)   .  AC was also avg. 45 points a game when they met Greeneville at AC last year to put up 7 point in the first quarter off good field position to not come close to the end zone again the rest of the game

1 hour ago, Swipes said:

Question for you olhickory,  What do you think the Mav's have to do to get the big greene devil off their back?  AC has had  talented teams the last 3 years but seem to lay an egg against the Devil's, especially the last 2 years.  You do return Hatmaker at QB that threw for over 2,000 yards last year but only had 66 yards passing and 2 int's agains the Devils. In that game it looked like he was just throwing it up and hoping his WR's could get the ball (Didn't work against an athletic and disciplined Secondary)   .  AC was also avg. 45 points a game when they met Greeneville at AC last year to put up 7 point in the first quarter off good field position to not come close to the end zone again the rest of the game

Thats a great question, one for a coach to answer more than me.  Now, I know you will admit that Greeneville has been very talented as well. It wasn't like the Mavericks were favored, but you are right, our qb, and I love him, didn't have a good game.  It wasn't his first BIG game as he played Powell, South Doyle, and Jeff Co as good as any could play, but struggled against Greeneville's aggressive Defense.  The scheme is as good as there is high school in my opinion, and the defense has gotten better each year as the coaches and kids have improved, but the Mavericks haven't been able to get by Greeneville.  Same could be said with Elizabethton and Anderson County.  Elizabethton has struggled with the Mavericks the last two times they have met.  I think I read where Coach Witten said that it was big for his team not to have to play AC last year.   Another reason to look forward to the playoffs this season, as I think those three will be the east side rep for the championship.  I know Greeneville has beaten the Mavericks two in row at Maverick Stadium, but they are gonna have to do again this year as the playoff picture will go through Anderson County again.  I am thinking that if  Anderson County can get one of their big backs going late in the season this year, look out because they will be able to throw it with a senior qb and the receiving group they had.  I watched them at 7v7 late February and they were hitting on all cylinders.  So I guess my answer is that the Mavericks will have to run the ball a little more in those late playoff games, and I think they will with the offensive line to do it.  Kicking game will be top notch, and defense will be as good as it was last season with a ton of depth  returning.   

57 minutes ago, olhickory said:

Thats a great question, one for a coach to answer more than me.  Now, I know you will admit that Greeneville has been very talented as well. It wasn't like the Mavericks were favored, but you are right, our qb, and I love him, didn't have a good game.  It wasn't his first BIG game as he played Powell, South Doyle, and Jeff Co as good as any could play, but struggled against Greeneville's aggressive Defense.  The scheme is as good as there is high school in my opinion, and the defense has gotten better each year as the coaches and kids have improved, but the Mavericks haven't been able to get by Greeneville.  Same could be said with Elizabethton and Anderson County.  Elizabethton has struggled with the Mavericks the last two times they have met.  I think I read where Coach Witten said that it was big for his team not to have to play AC last year.   Another reason to look forward to the playoffs this season, as I think those three will be the east side rep for the championship.  I know Greeneville has beaten the Mavericks two in row at Maverick Stadium, but they are gonna have to do again this year as the playoff picture will go through Anderson County again.  I am thinking that if  Anderson County can get one of their big backs going late in the season this year, look out because they will be able to throw it with a senior qb and the receiving group they had.  I watched them at 7v7 late February and they were hitting on all cylinders.  So I guess my answer is that the Mavericks will have to run the ball a little more in those late playoff games, and I think they will with the offensive line to do it.  Kicking game will be top notch, and defense will be as good as it was last season with a ton of depth  returning.   

Greeneville has been extremely talented and always has been. (Coaching and weight lifting has been what has changed in Greeneville starting in 2007). Since that coaching change and lifting like they should they have went 153-24 in 13 years with 10 years at least making it to the Quarters, 4 state championships, and 1 runner up.  In 4a i don't think anyone can say they have done that in the last 13 years.  I definitely think it is a matchup issue for the Mavs when it comes to Greeneville.  Greeneville has had more speed than the Mavs and even Betsy the last 2 years (Yes I know Betsy Beat us in the play-off after going up 13 to 0 without our speed demon in Gudger who got hurt in the AC game and Everhart the Marshall Commit hurting his knee that he had surgery on and didn't play D against Betsy).  Betsy got the Greene Devil's off their back last year but didn't get the Mavs so i'm hoping they travel to AC this year before we do lol.  Greeneville hasn't lost to the Mavs since 2005 (at AC and my first start as a Sophomore Linebacker so i remember real well and got revenge shutting at the Mav's at home the next year) and 3 in a row at AC with none of those 3 being a close game.  It's going to take a balance attack of run and pass to beat the Greene Devils not just getting a big back going (You didn't have a problem doing that last year with Holmes avg 7 yards a carry but had no passing game and the 2 previous years you relied on the pass to much forcing Stanton to throw the ball all over the field leading to 6 Int's in those 2 games).  Should be another great year of football if we get to play it with the same 3 coming out of the East to hopefully bring the Gold Ball back East were it is use to being in 4a.

On 3/31/2020 at 8:43 PM, FridayMainEvent said:

Alright fellas, I seriously like to see some "Top Ten" lists from you guys.   

I'm planning to do a our "Spring Preview Show" sometime in the next couple of weeks and I do respect the opinion of many of your guys.    We plan to reveal our spring top ten on this show and your input would be appreciated.   Obviously, I try and keep up with returning players and other indicators, but first hand knowledge from you guys goes a long way in our decision process.    Help us out by providing your top ten and reasoning behind it.

Thanks so much guys!

This is fun to listen to if you are able to.  These guys just did the top 10.  Listed the Mavericks at preseason #4.  Coach Witten was on the show, class act, as always.  I hear Mavericks got a transfer LB right before the break. Excited to see who that is, he will join maybe AC's best linebacking crew they have had in years.  Thanks for the show, I can't wait to see these teams battle it out this season, its just what our communities need 

Wow. Marshall and Nolensville back in there again.  Another tough year for my Raiders.  I do think Nolensville will not be quite as good as last year.  I think it is so unfair how they can be pushing 6A numbers playing in 4A.  Marshall not sure what they got coming back but they are always good.  I think their stud RB is gone though