Preseason Top Ten in 5A for 2020

FridayMainEvent

10 hours ago, FridayMainEvent said:

I've began looking at what teams have returning for next year.   Any sleepers out there we should keep an eye on or should we expect the traditional powers to dominate again this season?   Who's your top ten right now?   Opinions?

Don’t count out Gallatin.  

10 hours ago, FridayMainEvent said:

I've began looking at what teams have returning for next year.   Any sleepers out there we should keep an eye on or should we expect the traditional powers to dominate again this season?   Who's your top ten right now?   Opinions?

Henry County, Beech, Gallatin, Knox Central those teams are guaranteed to be a factor come play off time. Would love to hear what some teams like that has coming back. 

In no particular order; Powell, Knox West, Henry Co, Gallatin, Beech, Hillsboro, and I hope OR because we have quite a bit of good players coming back, especially on offense with 3 OL, QB, and a top notch RB in Kendall Jackson who could really have a breakout year. In my opinion he has D1 written all over him. As long as Lowe is @ Powell they’ll be a force. I didn’t include Central because of Rosser leaving and they will have a new HC obviously. It may be a seamless transition though, that remains to be seen. The others I have no idea, but have always been in the mix if going by recent standards. I think West has quite a bit of guys returning from a really good team in 2019, so they should be in the hunt as well.

9 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

In no particular order; Powell, Knox West, Henry Co, Gallatin, Beech, Hillsboro, and I hope OR because we have quite a bit of good players coming back, especially on offense with 3 OL, QB, and a top notch RB in Kendall Jackson who could really have a breakout year. In my opinion he has D1 written all over him. As long as Lowe is @ Powell they’ll be a force. I didn’t include Central because of Rosser leaving and they will have a new HC obviously. It may be a seamless transition though, that remains to be seen. The others I have no idea, but have always been in the mix if going by recent standards. I think West has quite a bit of guys returning from a really good team in 2019, so they should be in the hunt as well.

I disagree with Hillsboro.  They have several returning but I do not think they will be a top team.  

Henry County has returning QB Ryan Damron who is a sophomore and I believe will have a big season. Jawon Odoms at WR and CB who just recently got offers from Memphis and Tennessee! He is poised for a big season as well. Several key freshman coming up. Mekhi Sanders at FB/MLB will be a force. Jermarcus Johnson and Zamariyon Kendall I'm assuming will be a one two punch at RB. We expect another big year from HC. 

5 hours ago, FridayMainEvent said:

Qb returns for Shelbyville, but leading RB (Marsh) was a senior.

They had 2 backs I thought.  I could be wrong as I only watched them twice on TV but I thought the back up (4 Maybe) was better than the starter.  They will miss the Smith kid obviously.   Summit is the team to beat outside of Knoxville though imo.  They ran over teams until Central

On 1/28/2020 at 1:34 PM, SweetScience said:

Powell will take a step back, talent across the field but breaking in a QB much smaller than Walker will be a factor. Walker saved them last year with his size to extend plays by bouncing off hits and could run if he needed to. West is loaded and as you said OR has the dynamic back to take the game over. 

• Upvote 1

Finally, Oak Ridge has some returning OL. A stud at RB, a solid WR group and a QB who in one season reached All-time Top Ten in Eight different Quarterback stats. The Defense will be athletic but I personally have no clue how the group will blend together. The Kicking game return several players who struggled at times last season. I expect they will be improved but who knows.

Expectations among the players seem high. From what I can tell the fans are excited. The schedule still has four Class 6A teams to challenge the 5A Wildcats plus District foes Powell, West and Fulton. Then there is Central waiting for any East Tennessee team to try and get passed them on the way to Cookeville.

It is going to be a great season in 2020!

• Upvote 1