Preseason Top Ten in 5A for 2020

FridayMainEvent

On 3/3/2020 at 7:23 PM, BooWhoWiseMan said:

I am not a Summit fan but just a realist.  I am sure Gallatin USB looking forward to that rematch because it means they are in the playoffs but it will end the same way.

Let's just hope next time we don't have to wait almost 3 hours extra for them to arrive to Calvin Short Stadium. Very odd night to say it in the least. 

52 minutes ago, thegreatone36 said:

Let's just hope next time we don't have to wait almost 3 hours extra for them to arrive to Calvin Short Stadium. Very odd night to say it in the least. 

No love lost for Summit but they waited that same 3 hours on a cramped bus.  But what really surprised me was the way Summit dominated Gallatin that night especially on defense.  From what I had heard Gallatin was an extremely physical team and Summit just whipped them in every phase

2 hours ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

No love lost for Summit but they waited that same 3 hours on a cramped bus.  But what really surprised me was the way Summit dominated Gallatin that night especially on defense.  From what I had heard Gallatin was an extremely physical team and Summit just whipped them in every phase

Definitely was an off night.  

2 hours ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

It was definitely a good night for them. But they ultimately just had a better gameplan than other teams. Load the box and stop Briggs.  With our backup qb in that game and the previous 3 or 4 games, we simply lost our passing attack which allowed teams to load up. Pretty simple to control a game when you can do that. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FridayMainEvent said:

Appreciate the insight.  Especially on Boone and West.   Hard to keep up with the entire State.   That's what makes this site such a valuable resource!

The thing about Boone is they aren’t gonna beat anyone with speed. They are however well coached and they have a good young QB and RB. Good WRs also. They will be overlooked by most but they are a contender. They were two stops away from potentially beating SD in round two of the playoffs. They kept it close the entire game @SD. Most of that team returns. Scary potential playoff matchup with anyone they face.

6 hours ago, Swipes said:

I agree with most of your assessment but Boone's Starting RB was Charlie Cole who committed to play at Army and was injured in the Game against Greeneville.  The RB your talking about is a converted WR after Cole went down.  I would have liked to have seen how they would have faired against South Doyle last year if Cole was Healthy at 6'2 230lb at RB and MLB.

I know he was converted but that kid, Blair maybe? He ran hard after Cole went down. He’ll be used in multiple positions this upcoming year and they have a good young QB. Defense may have a few questions but I think they will be good enough. Not saying they are going undefeated or anything, but Boone will be a tough game for anyone except maybe Elizabethton and Greeneville. Wouldn’t overlook them tho.

4 hours ago, thegreatone36 said:

It was definitely a good night for them. But they ultimately just had a better gameplan than other teams. Load the box and stop Briggs.  With our backup qb in that game and the previous 3 or 4 games, we simply lost our passing attack which allowed teams to load up. Pretty simple to control a game when you can do that. 

People's inability to give credit where it might be due is mind boggling sometimes. Summit sat on a bus for 3 hours, while Gallatin got to sit in the comfort of their home locker room. They arrived, has probably about ten minutes to get dressed, warmed up, took the field, and #### down a vaunted Gallatin Offense. I think that game is available in Facebook watch or YouTube. Go back and watch the dominating performance of both Offensive and defensive lines. Really no argument to be had. Conditions were even, Summit showed up to play and Gallatin didn't. Plain and simple. Gallatin is going to be solId again. Coach Watson is doing a great job. However, they lost a great senior class too. Everyone is in the process of trying to figure out what they have, and that has been infinitely more difficult to predict since there will not be a spring practice. Hopefully, all players are doing as much as they can during this time. Coaches will earn their stipend when they all return to activity trying to play catch up with the time that was missed. Time will tell how well goes for each team. Good luck to everyone. 

2 hours ago, FYB said:

People's inability to give credit where it might be due is mind boggling sometimes. Summit sat on a bus for 3 hours, while Gallatin got to sit in the comfort of their home locker room. They arrived, has probably about ten minutes to get dressed, warmed up, took the field, and #### down a vaunted Gallatin Offense. I think that game is available in Facebook watch or YouTube. Go back and watch the dominating performance of both Offensive and defensive lines. Really no argument to be had. Conditions were even, Summit showed up to play and Gallatin didn't. Plain and simple. Gallatin is going to be solId again. Coach Watson is doing a great job. However, they lost a great senior class too. Everyone is in the process of trying to figure out what they have, and that has been infinitely more difficult to predict since there will not be a spring practice. Hopefully, all players are doing as much as they can during this time. Coaches will earn their stipend when they all return to activity trying to play catch up with the time that was missed. Time will tell how well goes for each team. Good luck to everyone. 

I think everybody gave them credit after that game and the games thereafter.  They had 30 mins after they got off the bus to get dressed and warm up.  They did exactly what thegreatone said, they loaded the box and came after Gallatin.  No excuses they were the better team that night.  That was a strange very cold night.  I hope for a rematch.  

1 hour ago, FridayMainEvent said:

We've got our 2020 Preseason Top Ten posted now:

FME Preseason Top Ten

I agree with most of your 5A.   But no Dyers County?  And your honorable mention you had Page.  I hear they could be way down.  They lost 10 starters on. Oh sides of the ball.  Hasn't Halls been down in recent years?  What do they have coming back.  Also very very East Tn heavy.  Are you connected to that side of the state?