Preseason Top Ten in 5A for 2020

FridayMainEvent

1 hour ago, JohnnyUtah said:

Powell will take a step back, talent across the field but breaking in a QB much smaller than Walker will be a factor. Walker saved them last year with his size to extend plays by bouncing off hits and could run if he needed to. West is loaded and as you said OR has the dynamic back to take the game over. 

You’re right Johnny U, wasn’t thinking about losing a player the caliber of Trusley, but that is a pretty big loss. I do expect Lowe to groom another quality QB, but it isn’t easy to replace a guy that good. There were games (OR game comes to mind unfortunately) where he could just take a game over. He was extremely tough to sack. Very good wheels on that young man.

9 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

You’re right Johnny U, wasn’t thinking about losing a player the caliber of Trusley, but that is a pretty big loss. I do expect Lowe to groom another quality QB, but it isn’t easy to replace a guy that good. There were games (OR game comes to mind unfortunately) where he could just take a game over. He was extremely tough to sack. Very good wheels on that young man.

Trusley is the big loss, and Powell's success will heavily depend on the ability of Jordyn Potts to step in and be a solid replacement at QB. He played a lot of mop-up duty as a freshman last year, so he's seen a lot of varsity snaps, but the stakes will certainly be different next season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, osunut2 said:

Trusley is the big loss, and Powell's success will heavily depend on the ability of Jordyn Potts to step in and be a solid replacement at QB. He played a lot of mop-up duty as a freshman last year, so he's seen a lot of varsity snaps, but the stakes will certainly be different next season.

Pretty much everybody in 3-5A has gotten hit hard by graduation.  Obiously the guys at Powell mentioned will have to be replaced, but West has to replace a huge part of the defense in those two guys who are signing D1-A LOIs next week.  Nobody is exempt from losing key players to graduation.  

That said, there's no shortage of talent with those programs.  They'll be fine.  The top 4 all have solid feeder programs.  The cupboards aren't bare.  

• Like 1

If any of you guys are "Jones" for some football discussion and missed our recap of the "Blue Cross Bowl" from last year including Coaches interviews, you can always go back and watch it:  If you've not yet subscribed to our YouTube Channel, got ahead and do that also.  We'll have a Spring Football Preview show in the coming months so if you are a subscriber, you'll receive notification when that show goes "Live" (and yes, it is free to subscribe with no obligations)

It’s way too early for me to make any “predictions” on our team, or honestly our region. Everyone lost a lot of talent in Region 2. I think we’ll be right back in the hunt if everything continues to progress like it has so far. In region 1, I see a potential sleeper team in Daniel Boone. They return most of their good players as far as i know and overall their region will be down. In region 3, I know West and Powell will be good along with Oak Ridge but something is telling me Fulton will be much improved from last year and could contend for that region title. Again, way too early to make any “real” predictions.

Edited by chsbobcat09

1 hour ago, chsbobcat09 said:

It’s way too early for me to make any “predictions” on our team, or honestly our region. Everyone lost a lot of talent in Region 2. I think we’ll be right back in the hunt if everything continues to progress like it has so far. In region 1, I see a potential sleeper team in Daniel Boone. They return most of their good players as far as i know and overall their region will be down. In region 3, I know West and Powell will be good along with Oak Ridge but something is telling me Fulton will be much improved from last year and could contend for that region title. Again, way too early to make any “real” predictions.

You are right, NEVER count out Fulton or Central. I think both Oak Ridge and West will put down Powell into fourth place. B  U   T   it is so early to be sure about anything.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, chsbobcat09 said:

Bobcat, I have to agree with you on Daniel Boone, they will have to be dealt with down the road. The defensive tackle they have is a beast and I think he was an underclassman. I think the difference I see in them and the region 2/3 teams is the total team speed. The teams that end up on top in those regions have so much team speed. And it shows up all the way through the playoffs. Knoxville is loaded with good high school talent/speed. In playing Summit last year in the final, they had very good speed, but I think they were surprised by the total team speed of Central. No disrespect for Summit, but they would have struggled with Powell, West, SD, and Oak Ridge. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how the west works out this next season. Henry  Co. will be right back in it and Summit should be good again. Dyer Co., Page, all will be ready to go.

2 hours ago, dawgs82 said:

Bobcat, I have to agree with you on Daniel Boone, they will have to be dealt with down the road. The defensive tackle they have is a beast and I think he was an underclassman. I think the difference I see in them and the region 2/3 teams is the total team speed. The teams that end up on top in those regions have so much team speed. And it shows up all the way through the playoffs. Knoxville is loaded with good high school talent/speed. In playing Summit last year in the final, they had very good speed, but I think they were surprised by the total team speed of Central. No disrespect for Summit, but they would have struggled with Powell, West, SD, and Oak Ridge. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how the west works out this next season. Henry  Co. will be right back in it and Summit should be good again. Dyer Co., Page, all will be ready to go.

Indeed Dawg, IMO as long as the kid at Henry County stays healthy at QB, they are going to be tough to deal with. Kids just a sophomore I believe, Damron is the name I think. If their Coaches open up the offense this year and play defense like they usually do they should come from the West. Boone’s problem and frankly most of the NETs problem isn’t just speed, it’s being Out-coached. Crockett had just as good a team as anyone in the state the past two years and good speed. Chandley just got out dueled by Rosser. Boone will have a strong offensive attack this upcoming year tho and mark my words they will be trouble for ANYONE. Like I said, tough for me to tell on Regions 2–3 right now. I’m sure we’ll be in the hunt, just hope everyone counts us out like they normally do :thumb:.

Edited by chsbobcat09
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, chsbobcat09 said:

Indeed Dawg, IMO as long as the kid at Henry County stays healthy at QB, they are going to be tough to deal with. Kids just a sophomore I believe, Damron is the name I think. If their Coaches open up the offense this year and play defense like they usually do they should come from the West. Boone’s problem and frankly most of the NETs problem isn’t just speed, it’s being Out-coached. Crockett had just as good a team as anyone in the state the past two years and good speed. Chandley just got out dueled by Rosser. Boone will have a strong offensive attack this upcoming year tho and mark my words they will be trouble for ANYONE. Like I said, tough for me to tell on Regions 2–3 right now. I’m sure we’ll be in the hunt, just hope everyone counts us out like they normally do :thumb:.

Yes sir you got it all right. He is a special player. Our freshman class which is about to be sophomores is one of our best classes in my opinion that we have had in a long time if ever. I'm not counting you guys out thats for sure. Y'all should be fine and right in the hunt again. 

2 hours ago, PatriotsNation said:

Yes sir you got it all right. He is a special player. Our freshman class which is about to be sophomores is one of our best classes in my opinion that we have had in a long time if ever. I'm not counting you guys out thats for sure. Y'all should be fine and right in the hunt again. 

Was talking today about Henry County to some people. I know all about Damron and a kid y’all got, Kendall maybe? Outstanding players. Your coaches should open the offense up this year, y’all could easily average 35 points a game. But no no, please count Central out. We play better when everyone overlooks us. :D

Edited by chsbobcat09
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, chsbobcat09 said:

Was talking today about Henry County to some people. I know all about Damron and a kid y’all got, Kendall maybe? Outstanding players. Your coaches should open the offense up this year, y’all could easily average 35 points a game. But no no, please count Central out. We play better when everyone overlooks us. :D

Sorry to break in but just who in the heck is Central? Bradley CENTRAL? Sullivan CENTRAL? McMinn CENTRAL? Memphis CENTRAL? My guess is everybody should overlook this mystery meat of a team. Are you sure you are not talking about Knoxville Powell CENTRAL? I have heard rumors about them. Probably not true of course. But one thing that is very true is EVERYBODY overlook Central.

This message is tongue in cheek. Knoxville Central will be beast come playoff time. I do know of one school that is a Beast Slayer, though.