Preseason Top Ten in 6A for 2020

FridayMainEvent

1 hour ago, MidTennFootball said:

AKA They don't play anybody

I definitely wouldn't say don't play anyone.  Over the last 3 years they have played Alcoa, Greeneville, Farragut, and Oak Ridge.  Alcoa and Greeneville had won State Championships those years.  DB lost to Alcoa 35-31 in 2017 and last year losing 21-6 at Alcoa.  They also man handled Oak Ridge last year 41-6 a team that went into Mount Juliet and won at their place.  MJ was put out by Oakland 24-14 in the 2nd round.  DB was a top 10 Team in 6a last year but once again ran into the Big Red Machine.  

Edited by Swipes

2 hours ago, Swipes said:

I definitely wouldn't say don't play anyone.  Over the last 3 years they have played Alcoa, Greeneville, Farragut, and Oak Ridge.  Alcoa and Greeneville had won State Championships those years.  DB lost to Alcoa 35-31 in 2017 and last year losing 21-6 at Alcoa.  They also man handled Oak Ridge last year 41-6 a team that went into Mount Juliet and won at their place.  MJ was put out by Oakland 24-14 in the 2nd round.  DB was a top 10 Team in 6a last year but once again ran into the Big Red Machine.  

True, their schedule has gotten better. Farragut, OR, Greeneville are also solid, but if they want to beat Maryville they're gonna have to get used to playing elite 6A competition. Sign up for home and with a WilCo school or Whitehaven. May mean fewer wins but may also mean people actually take DB seriously in the playoffs. This year may be the best chance they get in awhile to beat Maryville and they'll still be a underdog

13 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

True, their schedule has gotten better. Farragut, OR, Greeneville are also solid, but if they want to beat Maryville they're gonna have to get used to playing elite 6A competition. Sign up for home and with a WilCo school or Whitehaven. May mean fewer wins but may also mean people actually take DB seriously in the playoffs. This year may be the best chance they get in awhile to beat Maryville and they'll still be a underdog

Not saying you're completely wrong but I would take a game against Alcoa than a team outside of Oakland from Wilco or Whitehaven.  Alcoa would have been a top 3 6a team last year along with Maryville and Oakland.  This season is DB's head coaches 3rd season and with a new athletic director in Franky Debusk I see DB scheduling differently the next cycle.

33 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Not saying you're completely wrong but I would take a game against Alcoa than a team outside of Oakland from Wilco or Whitehaven.  Alcoa would have been a top 3 6a team last year along with Maryville and Oakland.  This season is DB's head coaches 3rd season and with a new athletic director in Franky Debusk I see DB scheduling differently the next cycle.

I agree with your reasoning on Oakland. Since CKC has been there it's Oakland and the rest in *Rutherford County. Willco (two L's) has some talented players as does Wilco (one L). Frankie will keep them on top of the NET.

• 2 months later...
On 4/18/2020 at 11:49 PM, CrossStateTraveler said:

With Maryville losing so much last year, it will be hard (not saying they wont) to repeat this year. They will have their hands full next year at Bradley Central. At least two FBS players on that team. Add in the local refs and that is a tougher game than usual. All I am saying is for the first time in a LONG time, region 2 is winnable by a team not named Maryville. Normally, Maryville just reloads, I truly think it won't be that easy this next year.  

Well, well, well...

Some of you tried to take me to the shed on my statement above.  Looks like you need to talk to Coach Hunt and give him the same treatment as he basically said the same thing I did, but he added McMinn to the mix. 

From Coach Hunt:

“I know and understand that everybody points to Maryville just based on past history, but it’s hard to say who the favorite is,” said Hunt.

“Bradley has probably as good a team as it has ever had, and McMinn County has two players as good as anybody in the region.”

I personally am a big fan of Coach Hunt (and for that matter Coach Quarles.) He is a stand up guy on and off the field. He also shoots straight. 

He also has the same expectations that he did last year, and I think that is one of the things that make the program special.

Too my initial point, I think he and I see it the same way. It "might" not be as easy as it has been in years past. If forced to bet my house on them, I would be taking Maryville as they are the safest bet to win the district again. If using play money, I would have been betting it all on Bradley before Tray Curry was kicked off the team.

I still don't think McMinn can do it. They have two really good players, but one is a lineman, and they lost a very speedy QB that paired with Jalen Hunt was hard to deal with. With the QB being gone I think they aren't as good as they were but could still end up third and at worst 4th.

Lastly when you bring up my post to slam me later in the year, I will just point to this one where your own coach agreed with me.

10 hours ago, CrossStateTraveler said:

Well, well, well...

Some of you tried to take me to the shed on my statement above.  Looks like you need to talk to Coach Hunt and give him the same treatment as he basically said the same thing I did, but he added McMinn to the mix. 

From Coach Hunt:

“I know and understand that everybody points to Maryville just based on past history, but it’s hard to say who the favorite is,” said Hunt.

“Bradley has probably as good a team as it has ever had, and McMinn County has two players as good as anybody in the region.”

I personally am a big fan of Coach Hunt (and for that matter Coach Quarles.) He is a stand up guy on and off the field. He also shoots straight. 

He also has the same expectations that he did last year, and I think that is one of the things that make the program special.

Too my initial point, I think he and I see it the same way. It "might" not be as easy as it has been in years past. If forced to bet my house on them, I would be taking Maryville as they are the safest bet to win the district again. If using play money, I would have been betting it all on Bradley before Tray Curry was kicked off the team.

I still don't think McMinn can do it. They have two really good players, but one is a lineman, and they lost a very speedy QB that paired with Jalen Hunt was hard to deal with. With the QB being gone I think they aren't as good as they were but could still end up third and at worst 4th.

Lastly when you bring up my post to slam me later in the year, I will just point to this one where your own coach agreed with me.

Rofl. You really don’t know Coach Hunt. 

12 hours ago, CrossStateTraveler said:

Well, well, well...

From Coach Hunt:

And if you listen to Dabo Sweeny before games, every team Kliempsein plays is 3 TDs better than his team is. 

Coach Hunt is a class act.  He's always going to give the other guys credit.  That's just what he does.  

But Maryville will still be the snot out of all of those teams on the field.  It's just what they do. 

26 minutes ago, STARSNBARS said:

Eye thaink CST haz a point....Eggsepp eye thaink him and Corch Hunt ere givin' our pore littull fellers way two much creditt......Mairvul mite winn a gaim orr thay mite finnish beelow Hairatige inn tha reejun.......:unsure:

Stars, I hope they go back to that 6A  playoff system that let every team make the postseason.It would be terrible for those poor Maryville boys not to get to travel and play atleast one playoff game.