TN Coach's Poll for 27 January

ArtusCimber

TENNESSEE HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING POLL

From: Jeff Price                                                               Results from 27 January 2020

THIS IS THE SIXTH POLL OF THE SEASON. 

Now in its 28th year, The Poll is primarily a measure of dual meet strength with some consideration to individual tournament strength.   Votes are cast by a state-wide panel of high school wrestling coaches and are based on a maximum Power Ranking of 168.

STATE POLL:

RANK

SCHOOL

POWER

RANKING

LAST WEEK

BAYLOR

CLEVELAND

WILSON CENTRAL

CHRISTIAN BROTHERS

MCCALLIE

FATHER RYAN

BRADLEY CENTRAL

BLACKMAN

MBA

PIGEON FORGE

DOBYNS-BENNETT

NR

SCIENCE HILL

ALSO RECEIVING VOTES: ARLINGTON, BRENTWOOD, INDEPENDENCE, OAKLAND, ROSSVIEW   

Looks like one of the 14 coaches on our panel finally came around and no longer believes that Baylor is the 2nd best team in our state which leaves us with one coach who still does. I have to ask whomever you may be... Coach, do you honestly believe that the 2019-2020 Baylor Red Raiders are the 2nd best high school wrestling team in the state of Tennessee OR do you dislike them so much that you refuse to vote them #1 no matter what? 

22 minutes ago, FargoStrut said:

Looks like one of the 14 coaches on our panel finally came around and no longer believes that Baylor is the 2nd best team in our state which leaves us with one coach who still does. I have to ask whomever you may be... Coach, do you honestly believe that the 2019-2020 Baylor Red Raiders are the 2nd best high school wrestling team in the state of Tennessee OR do you dislike them so much that you refuse to vote them #1 no matter what? 

I don't know, but just throwing this out there. "Could it be that one coach just didn't vote"?

PurpleWrestler, I'm not on the poll and not 100% sure how the scoring is done, but by using some deductive reason, common sense and basic math; I "think" I figured their scoring system out. There are 12 places on our poll- 12th place gets 1 pt, 11th place gets 2 pts,etc all the way up to first place who gets 12 points. There are 14 coaches on the poll who each get to rank their top 12 teams in the state (14 coaches × 12 points for each number 1 vote =.....168 pts, which coincidentally happens to be our maximum power ranking. 

If my best guess pertaining to their scoring system is accurate, this means that 1 of the 14 coaches on this poll does not think Baylor is the best team in the state and voted them in 2nd place behind Cleveland.

Also note that Baylor gained 1 point in the power ranking and Cleveland lost one point in the power ranking over this past week (1st place receives12 points and 2nd place gets 11), which would mean that until Jan 27 there were 2 of our 14 polled coaches who believed Baylor was inferior to Cleveland. 

Baylor has 167 power ranking. 13 Coaches gave them a 1st place vote(12 points) 13×12=156 while one coach gave them a 2nd place rank (11points) added to their 156= power ranking of 167 this week. These are my thoughts on how the rankings are done so No Sir Mr Purple Wrestler do I believe that a coach didnt vote. I believe a coach voted Baylor as an inferior team to Cleveland.

So Baylor could have gone to the Cleveland duals earlier in the year, but they went to a big tourney in ATL (and won) for different competition. Word is they tried contacting the Blue Raiders on several occasions, but nothing was returned. TIFWIW. 

No matter what, whoever would have placed 2nd if they would have gone, that 2nd place finisher would have given the mandatory, "we're not where we want to be, this early in the season, the team you'll see in Feb will be a different team than who finished 2nd....blah, blah, blah" 

Bottom line, last time they wrestled, Baylor won, their team has gotten better, even though they lost a couple of dominant multi-time state champs. Barring injury, they will run through the state tourney and not really be challenged.(Same can probably be said for  the Blue Raiders) but nonetheless, anyone who believes the red team isn't #1 is just petty and only fooling themselves 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SnapAttack said:

So Baylor could have gone to the Cleveland duals earlier in the year, but they went to a big tourney in ATL (and won) for different competition. Word is they tried contacting the Blue Raiders on several occasions, but nothing was returned. TIFWIW. 

No matter what, whoever would have placed 2nd if they would have gone, that 2nd place finisher would have given the mandatory, "we're not where we want to be, this early in the season, the team you'll see in Feb will be a different team than who finished 2nd....blah, blah, blah" 

Bottom line, last time they wrestled, Baylor won, their team has gotten better, even though they lost a couple of dominant multi-time state champs. Barring injury, they will run through the state tourney and not really be challenged.(Same can probably be said for  the Blue Raiders) but nonetheless, anyone who believes the red team isn't #1 is just petty and only fooling themselves 

Shouldn’t they be?

• Upvote 1