What has stopped a True Champion tournamemt

CoachFreemanMTSU

Goodmorning wrestling family!

I was curious as to what has stopped us from creating a tournament that invites the state players from all the divisions for a tournament in the past? I know the National Prep is one big reason. What would the interest in this be? I would like to put something together at MTSU if there is an interest. My idea was more along the lines of doing a Triple Crown of sorts, inviting the 6 place winners from division at state to a tournament that would include folkstyle, freestyle, and Greco for the guys division and freestyle and Greco for the girls division. Would this be of interest to anyone? I thought about having a freestyle and Greco clinic that would be open to all wrestlers before this as well to kind of kick start the freestyle and Greco season. Please respond to this or email me at [email protected] with your suggestions on dates etc and if your wrestlers would be interested in this. Or if you have freestyle/Greco experience or known someone who does that would like to be a clinician. If you have any other ideas that you would like to see happen I would've to hear those as well.

Thank you,

Jacob Freeman 

Head Coach MTSU Wrestling 

[email protected] 

This almost happened last year. I believe they were inviting the 3 state champions in each weight class plus a 4th wild card wrestler in each weight. As I understand it they were going to do a 4 team quad match with wrestlers mixed among the teams. It was supposed to be the same weekend as AAU State. I'm not sure what finally made them cancel, but I assume it was lack of wrestlers wanting to commit to it. Some didn't want to cut weight, some didn't want to risk injury, some for other reasons. Not entirely sure though, just my understanding of it.

It always sounds great in theory, but never has been able to be put together for every weight class.  There are several reasons why a kid may not be interested:  Making weight again, wanting to go to a bigger post season tournament, moving on to a spring sport, not wanting to keep training/practicing for another 2ish weeks in preparation,  and also for anyone that won it as an "under dog"- if they just accomplished their career goal with a state championship, why not just hang your hat on that?  I thought the idea of the 4 person tournament last year would be odd for a kid that wasn't supposed to win AAA.   He just won a state title that nobody predicted him to win, why would he want to go wrestle a 4 person bracket of the A/AA champ, D2 champ, and the guy he just beat at state.

Would it be better if we did a weigh in on Friday night(that way they can eat for Saturday morning and have an earlier start to the tournament) and added say 3lbs to the state weight classes on Saturday, meaning 106 + 2lbs Christmas allowance + 2lbs allowance for consecutive days wrestling = 110lbs + 3lbs allowance making 106lbs now 113lbs and 113lbs now 120lbs. Would that be a better way to be more encouraging to kids to come? I know that doesn't make sense since at that point every weight class bumps up, but that would allow wrestlers to eat and not worry as much about cutting weight, and most wrestlers bump up for the next season anyways. I would want to invite all 6 placers and then place the top 6 from there, but am open to all suggestions. 

Jacob Freeman 

mtsuwrestlingclub@gmail.com

1 hour ago, CoachFreemanMTSU said:

Would it be better if we did a weigh in on Friday night(that way they can eat for Saturday morning and have an earlier start to the tournament) and added say 3lbs to the state weight classes on Saturday, meaning 106 + 2lbs Christmas allowance + 2lbs allowance for consecutive days wrestling = 110lbs + 3lbs allowance making 106lbs now 113lbs and 113lbs now 120lbs. Would that be a better way to be more encouraging to kids to come? I know that doesn't make sense since at that point every weight class bumps up, but that would allow wrestlers to eat and not worry as much about cutting weight, and most wrestlers bump up for the next season anyways. I would want to invite all 6 placers and then place the top 6 from there, but am open to all suggestions. 

Jacob Freeman 

mtsuwrestlingclub@gmail.com

It will not work with most of the top D2 wrestlers opting to attend the National Preps.  Why would a D2 state champion with aspirations of wrestling in college want to attend another state level event when they could go and be seen by the top division 1 programs in the US?  The real solution is to convince the TSSAA to place everyone back together for all individual sports.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, cbg said:

It will not work with most of the top D2 wrestlers opting to attend the National Preps.  Why would a D2 state champion with aspirations of wrestling in college want to attend another state level event when they could go and be seen by the top division 1 programs in the US?  The real solution is to convince the TSSAA to place everyone back together for all individual sports.

If I am correct, the National Preps this year is the same weekend this year as the Tennessee State Championships. I know that has been an issue in the past but would not be an issue this year. Actually this year would be the perfect year to do this since the Prep is the same weekend. I want to go ahead a say, in no way do I want to take anything away from any one of these great wrestlers that work their tails off to become a state placer. No matter what it is a great accomplish. I just want to give all these wrestlers another chance at a high level tournament that they might not be able to get due to a number of reasons. There are great wrestlers in all the divisions and many of them have aspirations of wrestling in college. This would be another chance to show case their wrestling against top level talent.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

The freestyle/greco state championships don’t discriminate between public schools and private schools. I wrestled state champions from both divisions at that tournament during my career. If we want to see the best individuals, we need to encourage everyone to compete in the international styles.

People need a change of pace after the season culminates in the cow palace. I personally don’t care for all of these spring/summer folkstyle tournaments, I want to see nothing but free/greco until Fargo is complete 

• Like 3

On 2/12/2020 at 8:25 AM, cbwrestler10 said:

The freestyle/greco state championships don’t discriminate between public schools and private schools. I wrestled state champions from both divisions at that tournament during my career. If we want to see the best individuals, we need to encourage everyone to compete in the international styles.

People need a change of pace after the season culminates in the cow palace. I personally don’t care for all of these spring/summer folkstyle tournaments, I want to see nothing but free/greco until Fargo is complete 

Absolutely. Folkstyle should be ILLEGAL after the state tourney until next season Oct.

Change things up rules n styles to prevent burnout and get opportunity to face different competitors in state, Regions and Nationally.

• Like 1