Coach Bowling steps down at Union City

toinemac

I was shocked but this move, but after thinking about the current status of Union City, I'm not really surprised at this move as well. We all know that UC was one of the most successful programs across the state, last decade. But they struggled mightily in the years 2018 and 2019.

First thing is Peabody, in order to reach Cookeville in 2A, it runs through Trenton, hands down. But in 2018, the Tornadoes lost 56-14 and 35-0 in the playoffs. In 2019, the Tornadoes lost 63-14. To put that in perspective, they lost a combination of 154-28 to the Tide in the past two seasons. I know Lake County seemed like they put up 50+ to every single opponent in 2019, but putting up 58 to UC was a shocker to me. It seem like Union City went from a "train wreck and worldbeater" program, to an average team off the street. Everyone is not having a problem scoring off UC, and the Tornadoes offense can't keep up.

Looks like all the defensive coordinators are making the adjustment of dropping the safety and lowering the box, telling the cornerbacks to force everything inside. As @Tide21 is trying to reference, the Union City offense is NOT a system that is built for playmakers. 

I don't know the current status of football that's going on in Obion County, but if I'm Obion Central and specifically the South Fulton Red Devils, they need to take full advantage of the mediocrity seasons that's going on at their neighboring school.

16 hours ago, Tide21 said:

2 maybe 3 kids running the ball with one running it the majority of the time with everyone else blocking isn’t what kids want to do nowadays.  I think They had around 30 players and he kicked like 6 of them off the team right before they played fairley. I’m guessing with him leaving he wasn’t seeing anything coming up this year got an offer and snagged it up. I don’t see his offense working in 6a and not throwing the ball. Now if he adds some throwing in there it may work. 

I think you've hit on something big here. Bowlings offense won't translate well to 6A. And here's why. 

In 6A you normally have really good athletes and depth. At this level you expect multiple athletes to move on to the next level, whatever that may be. The veer showcases about 3 skills players and a few interior linemen. In 6A you will have multiple good skills players. They're not going to just be slot blockers and decoys for very long before they decide they're not going play any longer. As far as the linemen are concerned, they only run block. Next level coaches want to see how a lineman pass blocks. They won't see that with this offense. Therefore, frustration on their part. Is see players not wanting to play in this offense very long. 

Just my thoughts on this move.

Ridiculous!  

Nick Saban quote on the Veer

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/11/18/18099110/alabama-citadel-triple-option-2018

You all are funny.  The Veer is a great equalizer when you have less talent.  At a 6A program like OB he can platoon O and D and actually be able to play real defense spend more time on Offensive wrinkles and Ball Security.  I will gladly go on record as saying this will be a very successful move for Coach Bowling.

5 minutes ago, BigStickDiplomacy said:

Ridiculous!  

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/11/18/18099110/alabama-citadel-triple-option-2018

You all are funny.  The Veer is a great equalizer when you have less talent.  At a 6A program like OB he can platoon O and D and actually be able to play real defense spend more time on Offensive wrinkles and Ball Security.  I will gladly go on record as saying this will be a very successful move for Coach Bowling.

Don't worry, if he runs veer and that jazz at OB he will have FAR less talent than the other teams in that area.  Those D1 kids aren't staying around to play in that system.

7 minutes ago, BigStickDiplomacy said:

Ridiculous!  

2 minutes ago, Jokur said:

Don't worry, if he runs veer and that jazz at OB he will have FAR less talent than the other teams in that area.  Those D1 kids aren't staying around to play in that system.

I hope he is successful. The veer is a great offense. I agree. I just don't know how well it will work with today's generation of player.

If there is little talent at OB like you say, then this move makes more sense.

7 minutes ago, GATNA said:

I hope he is successful. The veer is a great offense. I agree. I just don't know how well it will work with today's generation of player.

If there is little talent at OB like you say, then this move makes more sense.

OB definitely doesn't have a talent problem. I think Jokur was saying if they run the veer they will because the players will move 

Edited by WarEagleCartman

11 minutes ago, WarEagleCartman said:

OB definitely doesn't have a talent problem. I think Jokur was saying if they run the veer they will because the players will move 

You are correct sir. I miss read.

Jokur may very well be correct.

The veer is a great offense for teams struggling with talent. It is an equalizer. But I don't see Alabama running it.

On 2/5/2020 at 6:40 PM, Tide21 said:

2 maybe 3 kids running the ball with one running it the majority of the time with everyone else blocking isn’t what kids want to do nowadays.  I think They had around 30 players and he kicked like 6 of them off the team right before they played fairley. I’m guessing with him leaving he wasn’t seeing anything coming up this year got an offer and snagged it up. I don’t see his offense working in 6a and not throwing the ball. Now if he adds some throwing in there it may work. 

Your head coach seems to disagree if you look at his twitter. He said good luck to all the Mississippi teams defending the Veer. My bet is he knows more about football than you. 

Edited by MidStateFan1

15 minutes ago, MidStateFan1 said:

Your head coach seems to disagree if you look at his twitter. He said good luck to all the Mississippi teams defending the Veer. My bet is he knows more about football than you. 

Are you trying to hurt my feelings ?  I have an opinion and you don’t like it boohoo 

You too can have opinion but you will have to pull your head out first 

2 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Oakland HS is 6A in TN. They run wing t and don’t have a problem getting kids to play and are successful. Why do we think it will be different in OB?  

Do they throw the ball ?  Bowling seems to refuse to throw the ball.  I said earlier it could work but he will have to throw the ball