Region 1- 11

Region 2- 4

Region 3- 4

Region 4- 19

Region 5- 11

Region 6- 19 

Region 7- 8

Region 8- 8

The obvious weak links are region 2 and 3, then when you look at the state team duals there are 4 teams that go two and out, all 4 of those teams came from region 2 and 3. My proposal for new regions would be to combine region 2 and 3, and then take region 5,6, and 7, and turn them into 4 regions. This is the most realistic solution I can come up with that would keep things in the same current format so the T$$AA can continue to make the most money possible on the state tournaments. What are some other thoughts on this?

18 minutes ago, dontstopbelieving said:

Per Hamm's rankings the amount of ranked wrestlers per region is:

Region 1- 11

Region 2- 4

Region 3- 4

Region 4- 19

Region 5- 11

Region 6- 19 

Region 7- 8

Region 8- 8

The obvious weak links are region 2 and 3, then when you look at the state team duals there are 4 teams that go two and out, all 4 of those teams came from region 2 and 3. My proposal for new regions would be to combine region 2 and 3, and then take region 5,6, and 7, and turn them into 4 regions. This is the most realistic solution I can come up with that would keep things in the same current format so the T$$AA can continue to make the most money possible on the state tournaments. What are some other thoughts on this?

They’re not going to realign regions based off wrestling. If things change it’ll be due to football.

13 hours ago, dontstopbelieving said:

Per Hamm's rankings the amount of ranked wrestlers per region is:

Region 1- 11

Region 2- 4

Region 3- 4

Region 4- 19

Region 5- 11

Region 6- 19 

Region 7- 8

Region 8- 8

I can't speak on Region 3 but in Region 2 the youth programs are starting to take hold... before in some of these schools you didn't start wrestling til high school!!! But with the up and coming youth programs K up to the high school level, things will change drastically in my opinion!!!

One of the biggest challenges facing some of these teams are filling weight classes... when you give up 4 or 5 weight classes it's hard to be competitive! On our team out of the 14 w/classes through out the season we averaged giving up 4 classes! Right now we have 12, 4 of which are freshman and only back up's/ jv for 4 weights. 

Hopefully though the kids moving up through elementary and middle school will carry over into high school and fill these weights and even have 2 deep?!? 

On 2/11/2020 at 11:40 PM, MatDad said:

One of the biggest challenges facing some of these teams are filling weight classes... when you give up 4 or 5 weight classes it's hard to be competitive! On our team out of the 14 w/classes through out the season we averaged giving up 4 classes! Right now we have 12, 4 of which are freshman and only back up's/ jv for 4 weights. 

Hopefully though the kids moving up through elementary and middle school will carry over into high school and fill these weights and even have 2 deep?!? 

The NFHS went to 14 weight classifications several years ago.  A small group of the larger wrestling states have run the numbers and made the  suggestion that wrestling return to 12 weight classifications.  When states like PA and Oklahoma are having issues with forfeits the problem is real.  I am in agreement that 12 weight classifications if spread out would be enough and it would assist with weight cutting at the high school level.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MatDad said:

Anderson county, it's really starting to take off and grow in this area. 

Yes, I was surprised at the crowd you guys brought to Fairview Elementary. As far as Region 2, Halls has the dominant program there and will have for as long as they stay in the current set up. Not sure if you guys or Sevier County have enough to overtake them based on the youth talent.

Region 3 should be a Heritage-Maryville battle for the next 5+ years. None of the Knoxville teams in that region have strong youth feeders and William Blount's strongest kids are on their elementary team. 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 11:18 PM, MatDad said:

I can't speak on Region 3 but in Region 2 the youth programs are starting to take hold... before in some of these schools you didn't start wrestling til high school!!! But with the up and coming youth programs K up to the high school level, things will change drastically in my opinion!!!

The real need and push is for ALL schools to push get approved for TMSAA Teams. The teams regulated by the schools and have parents to push for this to happen.

Then you have youth programs feeding into feeder schools Middle Schools to the High Schools.

• Like 1