Region realignment

dontstopbelieving

12 hours ago, cbg said:

The NFHS went to 14 weight classifications several years ago.  A small group of the larger wrestling states have run the numbers and made the  suggestion that wrestling return to 12 weight classifications.  When states like PA and Oklahoma are having issues with forfeits the problem is real.  I am in agreement that 12 weight classifications if spread out would be enough and it would assist with weight cutting at the high school level.  

I think should be odd number weight classes like 13 harder for thing end in ties.

Team Scoring would put more emphasis on wrestling and winning if points were:

Pin--6

Tech w/NF--5

Tech no NF--4

Major--3

Decision--2

FF--1 Point

No big point swing for not wrestling.

If team weighs a wrestler in for a weight but chooses to FF not wrestle. They have to ff that weight and next dual after. Penalty for making weight but coach hold out. Have this all way thru state duals.

Require alot more coach strategy if they choose to forfeit weight classes.

Fan friendly they pay to see competition not hands raised for just walking onto the mat.

They will never realign due to strength or lack of strength , however I agree because regions 2 and 3 are too small.  I’m in R3.  

As far as forfeits, the vast majority of forfeits are due to not having a kid in wt class, and it is definitely not from coaches not trying to recruit those weights, so penalizing forfeits is not the answer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

Yes, I was surprised at the crowd you guys brought to Fairview Elementary. As far as Region 2, Halls has the dominant program there and will have for as long as they stay in the current set up. Not sure if you guys or Sevier County have enough to overtake them based on the youth talent.

Region 3 should be a Heritage-Maryville battle for the next 5+ years. None of the Knoxville teams in that region have strong youth feeders and William Blount's strongest kids are on their elementary team. 

No doubt Hall's is the dominant team! But we are real close to being able to at least compete, not always but a big percentage at the Individual Region's are  Hall's / AC finals... we have won our district 3 in a row and I know that's not saying much, but it's a start I guess? But when it came down to the Region duals we just couldn't over come our forfeits. 

Edited by MatDad

Region 2 and Region 3 should defiantly be combined.  With the acceptation of Stone Memorial (who truthfully should be in Region 4 or maybe 5), I don't think a single coach from those regions would complain.  Halls is unchallenged in Region 2 since Gibbs dropped to A/AA, and Heritage and Maryville seem to be shoe-ins as well for State dual since Satterfield left William Blount. 

I think both Heritage and Halls's coaches would tell you that their programs have been down the last two years, but they both still won their regions due to complete lack of competition. Both of the regions are small in number of teams, but are even smaller when you notice that the teams in each region barely have wrestling.

Region 2 only has 9 teams, and per track, these are the number of wrestlers entered for the region tournament.

1. Sevier County- 14 (only full team in the region- only reason they were at state duals).

2. Halls- 12  (Only solid program in the region, but even they are down right now forfeiting two weight classes)

3. Anderson County - 11 (probably the next best team behind Halls)

4. Karns- 11

5. Powell - 9 (This is a HUGE team for them compared to most years)

6. Seymour - 6

7. Clinton- 5

8. South Doyle - 4

9. Knox Central - 4 (ZERO last year)

And Region 3, with only 8 teams, things aren't much better.  Maryville and Heritage are the only full teams there.  Farragut is the smallest with only 7, and Knoxville West has just been added back after several years without having a program.

If you cut Stone Memorial (logistically makes sense), and combined them, you would have a 16 team region, all located in the greater Knoxville area.  This may sound large, but at best only 6 teams will have a full team each year, and 6-7 of them will field half a team.

You are misinformed about Stone Memorial.  They are closer to Knox Co and Blount Co than any of the other regions since they are literally on I-40.   They also fill 13 or 14 classes most years.  They give Maryville and heritage a good match most years even though they are one of the smallest AAA schools.  However, I do still agree that the regions could be combined WITH Stone included.

11 hours ago, sx1234 said:

Region 2 and Region 3 should defiantly be combined.  With the acceptation of Stone Memorial (who truthfully should be in Region 4 or maybe 5), I don't think a single coach from those regions would complain.  Halls is unchallenged in Region 2 since Gibbs dropped to A/AA, and Heritage and Maryville seem to be shoe-ins as well for State dual since Satterfield left William Blount. 

I think both Heritage and Halls's coaches would tell you that their programs have been down the last two years, but they both still won their regions due to complete lack of competition. Both of the regions are small in number of teams, but are even smaller when you notice that the teams in each region barely have wrestling.

Region 2 only has 9 teams, and per track, these are the number of wrestlers entered for the region tournament.

1. Sevier County- 14 (only full team in the region- only reason they were at state duals).

2. Halls- 12  (Only solid program in the region, but even they are down right now forfeiting two weight classes)

3. Anderson County - 11 (probably the next best team behind Halls)

4. Karns- 11

5. Powell - 9 (This is a HUGE team for them compared to most years)

6. Seymour - 6

7. Clinton- 5

8. South Doyle - 4

9. Knox Central - 4 (ZERO last year)

And Region 3, with only 8 teams, things aren't much better.  Maryville and Heritage are the only full teams there.  Farragut is the smallest with only 7, and Knoxville West has just been added back after several years without having a program.

If you cut Stone Memorial (logistically makes sense), and combined them, you would have a 16 team region, all located in the greater Knoxville area.  This may sound large, but at best only 6 teams will have a full team each year, and 6-7 of them will field half a team.

You are pretty much spot on... we can't compete with Hall's in a dual setting, but what kids we have that are experienced, can compete... and like you said most of these teams will not put a whole team on the mat!!! But I think in a few years that changes. We have got a huge group of youth and we are continuing to grow every year, we have people talking about wrestling and encouraging their kid's to wrestle,those same people a year ago didn't know we even offered wrestling and or had never seen folk style wrestling!!! Our District duals was  televised this year on comcast 95 and on ACTV on Facebook!!! Which I think is awesome and only helps promote the sport... and we want every program to grow and I do my best to promote this Awesome sport the best I can!!!