I’ll Say It

eastten

I lost respect for the committee when Heather Butler of GC, who is the all time point leader in the OVC, didn’t win the award. She went 70-1 and won back to back AA state championships. For the record, I think they got the three girls right in single A.

Edited by pioneer42
  • Upvote 1

First of all I would like to congratulate all the finalists.    Many of the girls selected this year were probably pleasantly surprised.  We should not take that joy away from them.  However, the selection process is lacking and is laughable.  I know for a fact that one of the girls, not to be named, has physically not gone into the locker room at the half with her teammates.  Instead she went and sat with her dad in the stands.  Yet, let’s award that attitude with a finalist nomination.  That is what pisses me off. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Quatrefoil said:

First of all I would like to congratulate all the finalists.    Many of the girls selected this year were probably pleasantly surprised.  We should not take that joy away from them.  However, the selection process is lacking and is laughable.  I know for a fact that one of the girls, not to be named, has physically not gone into the locker room at the half with her teammates.  Instead she went and sat with her dad in the stands.  Yet, let’s award that attitude with a finalist nomination.  That is what pisses me off. 

Absolutely, not taking anything away from the girls. They are all good players. However, I know for a fact there are 5+ girls in East Tennessee more skilled, better players and just absolutely upstanding young women who were left off these lists. (And that’s just this area). Because they don’t play in storied program? On the best team? Their coaches don’t kiss enough butt? 

Frustrating, to say the least. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, eastten said:

Absolutely, not taking anything away from the girls. They are all good players. However, I know for a fact there are 5+ girls in East Tennessee more skilled, better players and just absolutely upstanding young women who were left off these lists. (And that’s just this area). Because they don’t play in storied program? On the best team? Their coaches don’t kiss enough butt? 

Frustrating, to say the least. 

Yep, you nailed it

I don't think an argument can be made against any of the finalists.  There are definitely other young ladies that deserve recognition but I would not take any of the current finalists off the list. 

I could certainly get on board with adding two more finalists in every class.  Recognizing five finalists rather than three would not have any negative outcome.  

• Like 2

My opinion....

I think if you're going to be a Miss Basketball finalist, you should absolutely be on one of the best teams in the state with an exception here and there. And if your team isn't one of the best teams in the state, you better be putting up big time numbers.

Not everyone can get a trophy here, and the finalist mentioned are worthy. Are there some other players who could replace one of the finalist, sure.... but only 3 are mentioned as finalist.

One thing that I will agree with that Quatrefoil mentioned is the character of the player and the way things are done within that player's success. I will agree with that...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eastten said:

Just. Because. A. Player. Plays. In. A. Storied. Program. Does. Not. Mean. They. Should. Be. A. Miss. Basketball. Finalist. 

East Tennessee snubbed again. Let’s release names of “committee” members. 

I think they got it wrong as well....and I hope that we are given a chance to show the validate that to the rest of the state....in Murfreesboro very soon.

• Upvote 1

I put more faith in the Coaches Poll that Tim puts out, versus the AP Poll. Are AP voters the same people voting on these state awards? It is darn near impossible to see all of these high school players and teams. I think the coaches see more players and teams than the media representatives do, with the exception of a small handful. I think media voters probably have sports that they pay more attention to. Coaches are focused specifically on that sport. Local media has to cover both boys and girls hoops, finish football season, look forward to baseball/softball, and cover soccer and everything else. I have a ton of respect for them, but is this a flawed system? I think it is.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GCPioneer said:

My opinion....

I think if you're going to be a Miss Basketball finalist, you should absolutely be on one of the best teams in the state with an exception here and there. And if your team isn't one of the best teams in the state, you better be putting up big time numbers.

Not everyone can get a trophy here, and the finalist mentioned are worthy. Are there some other players who could replace one of the finalist, sure.... but only 3 are mentioned as finalist.

One thing that I will agree with that Quatrefoil mentioned is the character of the player and the way things are done within that player's success. I will agree with that...

I just know some of the finalist aren’t even the best player on their team. Some are not the best player in their district. Does not make sense.

And we’ll just have to agree to disagree. I do not think you should get this honor because you play on a team that has a history of success or recent success. This isn’t a team award and if Player A can line up against Player B and is better, they should be the one recognized  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, eastten said:

I just know some of the finalist aren’t even the best player on their team. Some are not the best player in their district. Does not make sense.

And we’ll just have to agree to disagree. I do not think you should get this honor because you play on a team that has a history of success or recent success. This isn’t a team award and if Player A can line up against Player B and is better, they should be the one recognized  

If you're not good enough to make your team one of the best in the state, then you're not a Miss Basketball finalist... sorry.....

I'm not real sure who you're referring to about not being the best player on their team....

Edited by GCPioneer