Individual Regions

Bump11

Any reason why Region 7 had a true 4th place and no other region had that?  Doesn’t a double elimination tournament mean you can only lose twice. Can’t that unfairly add team points by allowing two kids that have lost twice wrestle again?  Just curious on thoughts and why it isn’t consistent throughout the state. 

There's not really any unfairness across regions as to point scoring, since you only get scored against teams in your own region anyway.  In that round, there are no advancements; the place points are balanced (gain/lose 2). The only extras created by the true 4th (other than the fact they’re scoring six places) is the chance for major/tech/pin bonuses.

As for why only region 7-AAA, they are apparently the only one whose schools voted for it (other than the girls' regions, which go 8-deep in case the opposite region can't fill its places). I imagine any other region desiring to use the format would be allowed to.

1 hour ago, Feedback said:

Any reason why Region 7 had a true 4th place and no other region had that?  Doesn’t a double elimination tournament mean you can only lose twice. Can’t that unfairly add team points by allowing two kids that have lost twice wrestle again?  Just curious on thoughts and why it isn’t consistent throughout the state. 

Each region votes on their own bilaws. Theoretically if all the coaches voted on it they could just hand pick who goes to state.

I understand it only effects team points within that region. I would have thought TSSAA would have all regions doing the same thing.  It just surprised me that region 7 was the only region and for state you only place the top 4 to make it. Teams could potentially be rewarded for having more kids in consolations then in the finals. And kids that lose their 4th place spot after wrestling for 3rd would not have in other regions. Fyi- this had no bearing on my wrestler. Just thinking of others and how they would have made it if in a different region. 

I took a look at the R7 tournament on track, and these things stuck out to me. There are 17 teams and seven don't even have ten wrestlers. Only three have the full 14. All weights have at least ten wrestlers though.

From that I'd infer a few things:

1. Most coaches really aren't concerned with grabbing a few extra points for a team title.
  2. Many of the teams do not see one another during the regular season
  3. With fewer regular season head-to-heads and some end of season weight changes among wrestlers, it is hard to seed wrestlers beyond the first few
  4. Knowing that there they'll be wrestling for a "true fourth" may expedite seeding meetings. I.e. if your wrestler found himself wrestling the eventual #1 and #3, he still gets the chance to show he deserves the spot despite the match-ups he had, and cannot argue that he'd have had a better chance had he been seeded differently.

I really don't know the reasons, and I'm sure there may be more to it than that, but that is what seems most rational to me.