AAA Individual State Predictions

TalkingSense

A GA state champ wrestled in a tournament here and got first seed because he was a state champ. He got beat twice here and what should have been a finals match was in the semis because of that “state champ”.  The whole point of having to place the top 4 for regions is to bring the best. The fact that we have some regions that have less teams is unfortunate. Hopefully, as wrestling gains more attention those areas will become more competitive but every region has strong kids.  It’s math if you have 8 kids half is those place. If you have 32 there are far more not placing that could have with 8 kids. 

19 minutes ago, Ummmno said:

There's 7 divisions in Georgia. You'll never ever ever be able to convince me its more difficult to medal in that state than in Tennessee.

I've seen kids go to tournaments in Alabama and beat state champs and medalists bad then come back here and not even hit the podium. More divisions DOES NOT mean stronger wreslting.

georgia and alabama may not be the best example, but there are state medalists in tennessee that would not medal in other states or come close. if you take every medalist from all 3 divisions and ship them to every other state, i would almost guarantee that more than half the time, ATLEAST 50% would not medal elsewhere or even qualify. i’m not saying the quality of wrestling is bad here or we don’t have some studs, cause we absolutely have some. some of the best kids in the country wrestle in tennessee and we should be proud of that... but to say that having 32 kids makes it better than other states that send less is absurd. they don’t send less because the competition is worse, they do it because 32 waters down the tournament. they do it because they have more than one tournament to go through to qualify, so that it guarantees the best of the best get there..not a kid who goes 2-26 but gets in because there’s only 2 other kids at his weight. 

and for your “artiles vs bradford” argument, that’s due to lack of seeding..not quality of wrestlers. that says nothing about the rest of the bracket. that’s pure randomness because they don’t seed. that’s why not every first or second round match is that caliber. 

Edited by Bump11

Ok let's be honest and say that overall the top wrestlers in Georgia are better than most of the top wrestlers in Tennessee and one of the main reasons is that the population base is almost double that of Tennessee.  The problem with GA is that they have 7 divisions and that waters down the competition.  Tennessee had the opportunity to become a very competitive wrestling state but we now have 3 divisions and that really weakens the competition level.

• Like 1

Just now, cbg said:

Ok let's be honest and say that overall the top wrestlers in Georgia are better than most of the top wrestlers in Tennessee and one of the main reasons is that the population base is almost double that of Tennessee.  The problem with GA is that they have 7 divisions and that waters down the competition.  Tennessee had the opportunity to become a very competitive wrestling state but we now have 3 divisions and that really weakens the competition level.

thank you. GA is similar as far as watering it down but just because a state champ there may not be a state champ here, doesn’t make our state tournament better. just means theirs is watered down too

1 minute ago, Bump11 said:

georgia and alabama may not be the best example, but there are state medalists in tennessee that would not medal in other states or come close. if you take every medalist from all 3 divisions and ship them to every other state, i would almost guarantee that more than half the time, ATLEAST 50% would not medal elsewhere or even qualify. i’m not saying the quality of wrestling is bad here or we don’t have some studs, cause we absolutely have some. some of the best kids in the country wrestle in tennessee and we should be proud of that... it to say that having 32 kids makes it better than other states that send less is absurd. they don’t send less because the competition is worse, they do it because 32 waters down the tournament. they do it because they have more than one tournament to go through to qualify, so that it guarantees the best of the best get there..not a kid who goes 2-26 but gets in because there’s only 2 other kids at his weight. 

Having more divisions doesn't ensure the strongest go, in any capacity. Its more like its giving out participation ribbons. Look at small school division here. Besides a very small select handful in the last x amount of years that it was implemented (2012 I think?). The other medalists are weak. Its not making the state stronger its making it weaker. if you want a stronger tournament and if you want stronger state champs cut the divisions completely. Don't add to them.

48 minutes ago, Bump11 said:

interesting. i mean, if it works, it works..but it’s not a necessity. i remember when i was in school and we’d have our home tournament, and all the coaches would come the night before and sit in a room and do it all. technology is taking over the world. but the “lack of results on track” isn’t a good excuse. it was done before track, it can be done without it. 

Why wouldn't you do it in track?  Coaches are already required to use it for OPC anyway.  

2 minutes ago, Ummmno said:

Having more divisions doesn't ensure the strongest go, in any capacity. Its more like its giving out participation ribbons. Look at small school division here. Besides a very small select handful in the last x amount of years that it was implemented (2012 I think?). The other medalists are weak. Its not making the state stronger its making it weaker. if you want a stronger tournament and if you want stronger state champs cut the divisions completely. Don't add to them.

I disagree with this mentality.  TN as a whole has gotten MUCH stronger in the last several years.  The evidence of that is incontrovertible.  Too much focus on the elites drives out those who could have become contenders.  TN should stay focused on the beginners and the middle.  Those who want to be elite are going to become just that....no matter how many divisions are in the state

9 minutes ago, mat73557 said:

I disagree with this mentality.  TN as a whole has gotten MUCH stronger in the last several years.  The evidence of that is incontrovertible.  Too much focus on the elites drives out those who could have become contenders.  TN should stay focused on the beginners and the middle.  Those who want to be elite are going to become just that....no matter how many divisions are in the state

No the growth of TN wrestling as of late is directly related to the growth in youth programs. Start young and grow with the program and the high school program grows.

It has zero to do with adding a small school division.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1