AAA Individual State Predictions

TalkingSense

1 hour ago, cougars130 said:

You got me lol.. 17.5 is not bad lol.. good work on your predictions this far.. hopefully everybody makes weight on day 2.. 

Just like in the interview with Kevin Dresser (Iowa State) when he spoke of coaching 17 or 18 years in high school before becoming the head coach at Virginia Tech.  You must micro manage everything that high school wrestlers do including personally weighing them 4 or 5 times per day.  If a coach begins the season doing this and is consistent throughout the season the kids will make weight without any questions.  If a coach leaves it up to the kids there is a chance that a kid will break and not make weight.  Not too many years ago failing to make weight was unacceptable behavior and if a kid failed to make weight a coach could put them off the team forever.  With the soft parents we have today it appears to be ok with kids not making weight.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Can anyone state what happened with the Oakland kid at 182? He won his first match by pin, forfeited to Palmieri second round and came back to win in by pin in the conso.  Not sure in 25 plus years of wrestling I have seen that happen. Also seemed like a lot of first round forfeits compared to years past also. 

2 hours ago, cbg said:

Just like in the interview with Kevin Dresser (Iowa State) when he spoke of coaching 17 or 18 years in high school before becoming the head coach at Virginia Tech.  You must micro manage everything that high school wrestlers do including personally weighing them 4 or 5 times per day.  If a coach begins the season doing this and is consistent throughout the season the kids will make weight without any questions.  If a coach leaves it up to the kids there is a chance that a kid will break and not make weight.  Not too many years ago failing to make weight was unacceptable behavior and if a kid failed to make weight a coach could put them off the team forever.  With the soft parents we have today it appears to be ok with kids not making weight.  

Great points CBG. I would add - if unsupervised there isn't a "chance" a kid may not make weight, there's a "good chance" that they won't make weight. 14-17 year old kids don't always understand that one pound of water equals to one pound. When kids get thirsty (hungry is easy) they lose their minds. Here's some unsolicited advice for any young coaches:

1) ALWAYS have a certified scale wherever you go.
2) NO ONE leaves from the hotel (if on the road), or school to go to the weigh in until they are on weight. Obviously plan accordingly to make sure everyone arrives either at your school or wherever your scale is with plenty of time to spare (example if you have a local tournament with a 8 am weigh in that's 30 minutes away, they should plan to be at your school by 6-6:30am. NO ONE (except Hwy and those with zero weight issues) just shows up at the weigh in. They meet at your school.
3) When on the road at a hotel, if there is a next morning weigh in, no one goes to bed until they are within 1 pound (every 8 hours of sleep equates to drifting 1 pound). Those close with weight sleep in rooms with at least one coach.
4) Get to the weigh ins one hour in advance. The first thing EVERYONE does is check their weight on the check scale

NO exception to the rules. No one should be running or scrambling to make weight AT the weigh ins. If so, this falls directly on the coach.