DII Individual State Predictions

TalkingSense

Pretty easy to predict due to the small number of teams and the fact that most of the good wrestlers have already competed against each other this season.  There are typically very few upsets and the same can be said for both AAA & A-AA.  If everyone was back together with a 32 man bracket you would see many more upsets beginning in the round of 16 and the elite 8 round due to parity.  

12 minutes ago, Bearcat90 said:

The slow death of high school wrestling in Tennessee will be related to the 3 divisions.  There is already a lack of depth made worse by separating the quality kids.  

Everyone wants to be given a state championship without putting in the time and work.

106 Cordey over Bronson

113 Bond over McTorrey

120 Dalrymple over Braman

126 Taylor over Wesnofske

132 Horst over Bowers - great matchup

138 Dendy over Pitts

145 Marchetti over Anthony - upset pick

152 Bowers over Madson

160 Whitworth over Spell

170 Miller over Cagle - co-main event

182 Duffy over Sewell

195 Petersen over Harper - best matchup

220 Wooten over Chambers

285 Howard over Gray

*** The better thread would be who wins combined brackets

Marchetti got caught this weekend.  Region duals they wrestled very close (9-7 I believe) and Marchetti was in it to the end.  Marchetti majored Barnes at State duals.  So it should be Marchetti vs. Anthony in the finals and I believe Marchetti has the ability to pull an upset.  Honestly, of all the weights, I think this is the only viable upset.

1 hour ago, BiffmarFairview said:

Do Alvarez and Spell have any common opps or have they wrestled each other this year?  If Im going to pick an upset it would be Omaury over Spell at 160. 

The most recent common opp that I can see is Jack Revere of BGA.
Spell pinned him in the 1st, and Alvarez beat him 13-7. They both also beat Miller from FR by pin

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PurpleWrestler said:

The most recent common opp that I can see is Jack Revere of BGA.
Spell pinned him in the 1st, and Alvarez beat him 13-7. They both also beat Miller from FR by pin

Both wrestled Schroeder from MBA in the State Duals- both won by pin. I like Alvarez although Spell looks very strong and wrestles with an edge (2 penalty pts Vs Schroeder in 1st period). Alvarez has wrestled Whitworth very competitively (have not seen many be able to do this over the years) and took him into OT at the Regionals where Whitworth won 5-3- and I think when they wrestled during the season Whitworth won 6-4. I see Whitworth Vs Alvarez in finals...and this match should be close.

Interestingly, Spell did not wrestle against McCallie in the first round of the state duals, but did wrestle in later matches- so did not face Whitworth.

Edited by TrustMe
Update
  • Like 2