Who will be new coach at Shelbyville??

District12AA

42 minutes ago, 422PT said:

Still the teacher pay and coaching supplement is only totaling 60k max so even if they actually gave that much you would be at 110.... I think the general public assumes that coaches make a whole lot more money than is actually paid..

It's pretty sorry pay for the mass amount of hours and work that goes into it, especially when you consider the social and success expectations and compare the money to what most college educated professionals in the business world make for working MUCH less hours........and when was the last time a business exec got fired for making a mistake that had absolutely nothing to do with the job? 

I agree with almost all that you said.  I would argue that as a high school coach you are always on the job and what you do off the field is as important as what you do on the field.  As the coach you are the face of the school and the primary leader of these young men.  If you to be a coach then simply don't drink and drive etc etc.  (not saying Palmer did that just using as example).  Like or not coaches should be held to a higher moral standard than the rest of us.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

I agree with almost all that you said.  I would argue that as a high school coach you are always on the job and what you do off the field is as important as what you do on the field.  As the coach you are the face of the school and the primary leader of these young men.  If you to be a coach then simply don't drink and drive etc etc.  (not saying Palmer did that just using as example).  Like or not coaches should be held to a higher moral standard than the rest of us.  

I tend to agree

1 hour ago, sportsguy22 said:

"Absolutely nothing to do with the job"? That would not apply to this situation whatsoever. Several things that were happening had everything to do with the job. Don't automatically believe the spin.

I have no idea why this particular coach was let go - what I am saying is sometimes social factors that are put onto preachers are some how expected of teachers - By parents who don't hold themselves to the same accountability .... It's like because the taxes pay the salaries then the parents somehow are allowed to expect and have an impact on whether or not they get to keep the job... 

1 minute ago, 422PT said:

I have no idea why this particular coach was let go - what I am saying is sometimes social factors that are put onto preachers are some how expected of teachers - By parents who don't hold themselves to the same accountability .... It's like because the taxes pay the salaries then the parents somehow are allowed to expect and have an impact on whether or not they get to keep the job... 

I don't have a problem with high expectations -- I have a problem with being held to higher standard by people who do not hold themselves to the same standard. I whole heartily believe that a coach should set an example - but I also think people make mistakes and should not necessarily be fired for making one.... If it's not written into policy then don't fire a good coach because he makes a mistake on the weekend far away from school or school events.

5 minutes ago, 422PT said:

This particular situation had zero to do with the parents first off. More importantly, as the previous posts explained, it is very important that coaches are held to a high standard. They are looked up to as leaders, examples, and role models by the kids/athletes in our schools. You just cannot survive or be legitimate by teaching many of the values, morals, and ethics that you are in fact not living out yourself in many areas. It just doesn't work and the kids suffer as a result.

Just now, sportsguy22 said:

This particular situation had zero to do with the parents first off. More importantly, as the previous posts explained, it is very important that coaches are held to a high standard. They are looked up to as leaders, examples, and role models by the kids/athletes in our schools. You just cannot survive or be legitimate by teaching many of the values, morals, and ethics that you are in fact not living out yourself in many areas. It just doesn't work and the kids suffer as a result.

I'm not disagreeing with you..... WHAT i am saying is do you hold yourself to the same standard? If you make a mistake (say you had 3 drinks at dinner and blow .081 after being pulled over..... You get a DUI (not that Palmer did cause I don't think he did) - Is it okay for your boss to fire YOU?

I just think sometimes things get blown way out of proportion sometimes because coaches are public figures... And for the money they are paid, it's really ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, 422PT said:

I'm not disagreeing with you..... WHAT i am saying is do you hold yourself to the same standard? If you make a mistake (say you had 3 drinks at dinner and blow .081 after being pulled over..... You get a DUI (not that Palmer did cause I don't think he did) - Is it okay for your boss to fire YOU?

I just think sometimes things get blown way out of proportion sometimes because coaches are public figures... And for the money they are paid, it's really ridiculous.

I can tell you his situation was not DUI-related whatsoever. The Summit coach kept his job after a DUI and there are other examples of that too. That is not necessarily an offense worthy of a dismissal standing on its own. As for what all he did, it would be worthy of a dismissal no matter the job. Again, certain jobs put people in different circumstances. It's just the way it is. If you are leading kids, you are held to a higher standard...like it or not. Good conversation by the way.

3 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

I can tell you his situation was not DUI-related whatsoever. The Summit coach kept his job after a DUI and there are other examples of that too. That is not necessarily an offense worthy of a dismissal standing on its own. As for what all he did, it would be worthy of a dismissal no matter the job. Again, certain jobs put people in different circumstances. It's just the way it is. If you are leading kids, you are held to a higher standard...like it or not. Good conversation by the way.

I just think at some point you are a hypocrite if you expect someone else to do right and you aren't doing right yourself... general statement - and if you are gonna hold coaches to that kind of scrutiny and expect them to win or be fired, THEN PAY THEM accordingly. Big time college coaches are PAID for winning and PAID to be held to expectations. High School coaches are not. 

3 minutes ago, 422PT said:

I just think at some point you are a hypocrite if you expect someone else to do right and you aren't doing right yourself... general statement - and if you are gonna hold coaches to that kind of scrutiny and expect them to win or be fired, THEN PAY THEM accordingly. Big time college coaches are PAID for winning and PAID to be held to expectations. High School coaches are not. 

So, we just let them lead our kids and continue being horrible examples in many ways like nothing is happening?? That is a naïve, passive thing to do. Then, our kids suffer and get bad leadership at schools (some already get that at home too). As for this specific situation, it could absolutely not continue...serious stuff.

1 hour ago, 422PT said:

No one said fire a coach for losing.  In colleges there have been numerous coaches fired for moral discrepancies.   Also it is the school system and admin that sets the expectations for these coaches not the parents.  Parents should never have input in hiring and firing of coaches..imo

49 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

So, we just let them lead our kids and continue being horrible examples in many ways like nothing is happening?? That is a naïve, passive thing to do. Then, our kids suffer and get bad leadership at schools (some already get that at home too). As for this specific situation, it could absolutely not continue...serious stuff.

Not at all what i am saying. The Coach and Teacher should be held to board standards, not your thoughts as a parent what the standards should be ..... you made my point for me when you "so we just let them......"

Unless you are a Principal it is not your decision.  You don't sign the paycheck so you have no input.

All I am saying is let the Principal do their job of following and enforcing school board policy.

And why don't you enlighten the rest of us as to what actually happened - then maybe I will see and understand what you are saying. Not that it matters what any of us think (unless one of us is the Principal that let him go)

4 minutes ago, 422PT said:

Not at all what i am saying. The Coach and Teacher should be held to board standards, not your thoughts as a parent what the standards should be ..... you made my point for me when you "so we just let them......"

Unless you are a Principal it is not your decision.  You don't sign the paycheck so you have no input.

All I am saying is let the Principal do their job of following and enforcing school board policy.

And why don't you enlighten the rest of us as to what actually happened - then maybe I will see and understand what you are saying. Not that it matters what any of us think (unless one of us is the Principal that let him go)

He was not fired from his teaching position, just the football job. When you are getting paid extra by a local business for the "good" you are doing in the community, you are held to a higher standard. Hard to get on this forum and state what actually happened.