Who will be new coach at Shelbyville??

District12AA

11 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

Josh Puckett is from Greenfield and has coached at a few stops but since taking over the football program at Lake County they've been a contender every year and this past year they won the Class 1A State Championship.  He's also coached at Cheatham County, East Robertson, and Haywood previously.

Lance White has been the Defensive Coordinator at Independence since 2013.  Prior to that he coached at Lebanon, LaVergne, and Wilson Central.  He also served as an assistant coach at Daniel Boone in East TN.

Blade's teams are known more for their offense than their defense.

On 3/11/2020 at 5:58 PM, jimmycrackedthatcorn said:

Where is he from and why is he looking for a job right after winning state? 

My friends son played for Lake County and I have attended several of their games over the last few years so heres what I know. Puckett is currently at Lake County High School where he just finished up a 15-0 season after winning state and has a record of 38-5 over the last 3 years. The team this year was 1 of only 4 undefeated teams in the state with the second highest scoring offense at 48.8 PPG. He was also 7A coach of the year and TN coach of the year finalist. The two previous years his teams finished in the semi finals, the man can straight up coach, a guru on both sides of the ball. He puts tremendous focus on getting the guys in shape and prepared in the weight room. He is very good with both offense and defense and the players love him and his coaching style. His youngest son is an upcoming junior that can ball out too. Cayden is an impressive athlete on both sides of the ball. He can play RB, QB, WR, FS, S and compete with anyone. He'll be playing QB for LC this year, has a great arm and isn't afraid to tuck it. He was really impressive in Cookeville, especially when their starting RB left the game with a broken collar bone in the second quarter.  He does a lot at Lake County with very little, I've been very impressed with him. He is also the head coach in baseball and they made it to state last year as well. I wish nothing but the best for him and his family.  If yall have a chance of landing him at Shelbyville you better snag him. 

Edited by OCRebel00

Let me say up fron I do not know him.  But often times at the lower levels you can have 5-6 athletes and win big.  Maybe he just more athletes to play with tha. The other teams.  Maybe he is the second coming of Saban like you seem to think.  I personally think you never know how good of a coach a person is until they are able to win with lesser talent.  Very very few coaches have done that in middle tn imo.  I can think of 1 maybe 2.  But if he is just using Shelbyville or any other school for a "pay raise" then that says a lot right there.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, OCRebel00 said:

I was just saying if he were to consider leaving it would be for better opportunities for his family, pay is generally at least a factor.  As far as just having a few athletes that are better, they beat (2) AA schools, (2) AAA, and a AAAA school this year. 

Leaving a job for another for money and using a school to get more money from current school is two different things.

And your example of all the wins LC got this year over higher classes proves my point.  They obviously had 3A and 4A level athletes.  With more and better athletes than the other 1A schools even I could have won.  Now he could be the greatest coach ever for all I know but my point (which I have said on other threads) is that a lot of very average coaches win a lot of games because they have superior athletes.  But those same coaches wouldn't win if other teams had equal athletes.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

Leaving a job for another for money and using a school to get more money from current school is two different things.

And your example of all the wins LC got this year over higher classes proves my point.  They obviously had 3A and 4A level athletes.  With more and better athletes than the other 1A schools even I could have won.  Now he could be the greatest coach ever for all I know but my point (which I have said on other threads) is that a lot of very average coaches win a lot of games because they have superior athletes.  But those same coaches wouldn't win if other teams had equal athletes.

The question is how the program is run, attitude/temperament, staff, willingness to adjust, offseason, community and booster relations, etc. Athletes come and go, but these constants need to remain, so it’s not all about the wins and losses, especially at the high school level. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1