Who will be new coach at Shelbyville??

District12AA

Unfortunately the success for football has been the detriment of their basketball and baseball programs. Shelbyville when it was 3 classifications for years in the 70, 80 and especially the early 90 made the playoffs and advanced  in some years. Most of those football athletes also played baseball and basketball I am sure. What hurts them is having 2 other schools in their county and I heard one of their feeder schools cancelled their football program after just a few years. That’s gotta be tough. And I hear the pay through the school system for coaches isn’t near what Rutherford and some others pay that are in their region. Add that all up and it currently makes it a challenge for any coach. You just hope for success when you have a run of seniors like they had this year.

53 minutes ago, Observation said:

Unfortunately the success for football has been the detriment of their basketball and baseball programs. Shelbyville when it was 3 classifications for years in the 70, 80 and especially the early 90 made the playoffs and advanced  in some years. Most of those football athletes also played baseball and basketball I am sure. What hurts them is having 2 other schools in their county and I heard one of their feeder schools cancelled their football program after just a few years. That’s gotta be tough. And I hear the pay through the school system for coaches isn’t near what Rutherford and some others pay that are in their region. Add that all up and it currently makes it a challenge for any coach. You just hope for success when you have a run of seniors like they had this year.

Great points. That feeder school, Liberty, is planning to re-start football this coming season and I think they have a new coach too. All your points are valid, though, so it will certainly be up to the next coach to build and improve on what has been happening because there is a lot of positives within the program in the last decade. They have challenges to be sure, but it can be successfully done.

4 hours ago, sportsguy22 said:

Great points. That feeder school, Liberty, is planning to re-start football this coming season and I think they have a new coach too. All your points are valid, though, so it will certainly be up to the next coach to build and improve on what has been happening because there is a lot of positives within the program in the last decade. They have challenges to be sure, but it can be successfully done.

You guys ask about Josh Puckett earlier in this thread.   I interviewed him twice this past season.   The longer of the two interviews was just prior to the second round playoff game.    I'll post a link to that video.   He joined us at the 1 hour mark:

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, FridayMainEvent said:

I've had Coaches contact me about this job.   Number one question is "why haven't they ever had success there"...   (and by success, they mean getting to a semi-final or title game.)

I didn't really have a good answer for them.   Support hasn't always been that great, however over the last couple of years it has improved.    Region is typically pretty balanced and in the past few years, Region 5 hasn't matched up well with region 6 (last year being the exception).   I also mentioned there are 3 public schools in Bedford County, so the talent is split somewhat.   I didn't really have a solid answer.  

My team is a region 1 2A team but I have seen a few Shelbyville games over the last 3 years. I have some family down there. That's a talented football team and with no consistent dominant team year after year in 5A like there is in 6A and 3A ( Maryville and Alcoa) I am surprised they haven't had even more success than they have. As an outsider looking in, it looks like a good job 

After listening to sportsguy22, I was researching shelbyville and they had strong teams in 2013 and 2014 then had a let down with strong talent in 2015...was this due to weak coaching,? The talent was supposed to be there but they lost in the first round...now it looks like Palmer wasn't there. Was he the missing link or was there another reason?

1 hour ago, djslayer said:

After listening to sportsguy22, I was researching shelbyville and they had strong teams in 2013 and 2014 then had a let down with strong talent in 2015...was this due to weak coaching,? The talent was supposed to be there but they lost in the first round...now it looks like Palmer wasn't there. Was he the missing link or was there another reason?

Significant letdown in 2017 too with a lot of talent...his second year as head coach. Regardless, I will choose to look forward with the next coach and not look back. There’s no point at all in doing so.

Josh Puckett was 61-26 in 7 years as head coach at Lake County, including 38-5 the last three years. A 13-4 overall record in the playoffs with two semifinal appearances (2017 & 2018) and most recently led the Falcons to a perfect 15-0 season and the 2019 Class 1A State Championship this past season as they defeated Greenback in the Blue Cross Bowl. His previous assistant coaching jobs were at Cheatham County, East Robertson, Haywood County, Obion County, and Jackson Central-Merry. He’s originally from Greenfield, TN.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 3:27 PM, howdoitknow said:

David O'Connor

Josh Puckett

Lance White

Phillip Shadowens

Kyle Turnbow

Great list of candidates.  SCHS would be lucky to land any of them.  

On 3/11/2020 at 4:59 PM, sportsguy22 said:

Gonna stay out of that speculation and let the decision-makers figure out the best guy for the program. Not sure about that list either. Things are fairly hush, hush. 

On 3/11/2020 at 7:18 PM, howdoitknow said:

Josh Puckett is from Greenfield and has coached at a few stops but since taking over the football program at Lake County they've been a contender every year and this past year they won the Class 1A State Championship.  He's also coached at Cheatham County, East Robertson, and Haywood previously.

Called it for you a few weeks ago.  

• Like 1