3                8               89

4                8               90

5                18*         160      White County listed no participants

6                14            155

7                 17           169

8                 13              97

Total          96            926

Division I A-AA

1               14                101  (4 teams no entrants)

2                12                 85 (1 team no entrants)

3                15               134

4                 16               145

Totals        57                465

Edited by newmat

6 minutes ago, newmat said:

Division I AAA number of entrants in Regional Tournaments:

According to information on Track Wrestling:

Region    Teams   Wrestlers

1               10           100

2                9               66

3                8               89

4                8               90

5                18*         160      White County listed no participants

6                14            155

7                 17           169

8                 13              97

Total          96            926

Division I A-AA

1               14                101  (4 teams no entrants)

2                12                 85 (1 team no entrants)

3                15               134

4                 16               145

Totals        57                465

Division II

17                136

Teams        Wrestlers

Totals:      170              1527

For AAA that’s only and average of 9.64 kids per team and for A-AA that’s an average of 8.16 kids per team. That begs the question, should we drop the state tourney down to 16 kids for the AAA and leave it at 16 for A-AA or join them back together and leave it at 32 man brackets? With some regions 8-10 teams mean you have to win one (if drawn in at the right spot) or possibly two matches to make it. 

You look at the small schools who not have “potentially” as much funding as the bigger schools and have to travel further (in some cases) to the regional tournament. Before people get on me about this statement, it is not one size fits all and the small schools could have more funding than certain bigger schools. 

This seems to be a problem.

10 minutes ago, GoTNwrestling said:

For AAA that’s only and average of 9.64 kids per team and for A-AA that’s an average of 8.16 kids per team. That begs the question, should we drop the state tourney down to 16 kids for the AAA and leave it at 16 for A-AA or join them back together and leave it at 32 man brackets? With some regions 8-10 teams mean you have to win one (if drawn in at the right spot) or possibly two matches to make it. 

You look at the small schools who not have “potentially” as much funding as the bigger schools and have to travel further (in some cases) to the regional tournament. Before people get on me about this statement, it is not one size fits all and the small schools could have more funding than certain bigger schools. 

This seems to be a problem.

Why not be a leader instead of a follower and be an advocate for placing D1 & D2 back together for wrestling?  Everyone back in one division for the individual tournament using a 32 man bracket for each weight.  Leave the dual state championship as it is now.  There is zero reason for any individual sports to be divided into separate classifications or divisions other than to pass out additional hardware to make people feel good.

Agreed.  At a minimum D1 AAA and AA should be joined again.  A lack of kids which leads to many teams without a full roster which leads  to really weak wrestle offs.  I would love to see many of those big school small school match ups matter.  

I was talking to a coach this year and early in the season he had a full team.  At the end he had hardly anybody so I asked what happened.  He said that one of the kids dad's said too much risk of injury and therefore could effect football so that kid quit and then a bunch of the other football kids quit.  I cannot imagine my old man telling me there was too much risk involved in HS athletics.  

Edit: When I say joined I mean for individuals at the end of the season.

Edited by oceansize42

1 hour ago, cbg said:

Why not be a leader instead of a follower and be an advocate for placing D1 & D2 back together for wrestling?  Everyone back in one division for the individual tournament using a 32 man bracket for each weight.  Leave the dual state championship as it is now.  There is zero reason for any individual sports to be divided into separate classifications or divisions other than to pass out additional hardware to make people feel good.

There is a division in all sports the reason is because kids are recruited to go to D2 schools not D1 schools I find it kind of funny everyone wants D2 and D1 together but when it’s discussed for another tournament after state is over D2 has other things going on when we could take the top state placers from SS, D1 and D2 and make another tournament for those guys to compete for the best of the best.. but we don’t.. so why do we continue bringing this idea/complaint up.. 

13 minutes ago, cougars130 said:

There is a division in all sports the reason is because kids are recruited to go to D2 schools not D1 schools I find it kind of funny everyone wants D2 and D1 together but when it’s discussed for another tournament after state is over D2 has other things going on when we could take the top state placers from SS, D1 and D2 and make another tournament for those guys to compete for the best of the best.. but we don’t.. so why do we continue bringing this idea/complaint up.. 

Why can't we get at least D1 AAA and AA together for individuals?  Imagine Bennett and Foreman in AAA 138? Kannedy at 145?  Mason at 126 with Trae? Dalon at 152.  Great to see those kids compete against the best AAA.

10 minutes ago, oceansize42 said:

Why can't we get at least D1 AAA and AA together for individuals?  Imagine Bennett and Foreman in AAA 138? Kannedy at 145?  Mason at 126 with Trae? Dalon at 152.  Great to see those kids compete against the best AAA.

And who is not to say the best in AA could win half of the state titles every year? I feel like the mindset sometimes since these kids go to bigger schools, they must be better. That isn’t always the case. Greeneville, PF, Hixon, Fairview have been pretty competitive when they wrestled the bigger schools in duals or individuals. 

4 hours ago, cougars130 said:

Being recruited has nothing to do with an individual sport!  I understand having divisions in the dual state championships.  There is absolutely no reason that ALL INDIVIDUAL SPORTS such as wrestling, swimming, cross country, track & field, etc... should not be a combined state championship.  The only possible reason is to pass out more state championships and make LITTLE JOHNNY have more self esteem.  

1 hour ago, cbg said:

The only possible reason is to pass out more state championships and make LITTLE JOHNNY have more self esteem.  

I couldn't disagree more....but it's way too much for me to get into tonight...

Maybe one day I will feel like hashing it all out here on the T....just not tonight.  All I can say is that one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Good luck to all tomorrow.

• Like 1

All Individual sports should have one single Tournament for Individual Championships!  

Have as many divisions as you want for team Duals, heck I would add a third division to Public and a small school to private  so that for the team duals there were 5 divisions but for the Individual championship there should only be a single tournament for every kid that competes for HS.  If you did that then you wouldn’t be able to hold the individual tournament in the Agcenter anymore because there would be to many fans so you would have to move it to Bridgestone! 

• Like 2