Fight nights

CoachKramer

24 minutes ago, JIII said:

I am curious to know what is the advantage of these said Fight Nights? We don’t have them in the Chattanooga area and it seems that it works out just fine. Do the kids not show up if it’s technique driven?

There is none.

Unless of course you consider live wrestling with various different opponents having varying body types, skill sets and technique for up to 3 days a week for the entire spring for free having some type of benefit. But I'm not sure who in their right mind would consider that beneficial.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Newestguy said:

There is none.

Unless of course you consider live wrestling with various different opponents having varying body types, skill sets and technique for up to 3 days a week for the entire spring for free having some type of benefit. But I'm not sure who in their right mind would consider that beneficial.

I didn’t say that there wasn’t a benefit but you would think that a technique driven approach has more benefits for everyone. An excessive amount of live wrestling has lots of inherent risks for the kids participating that are unnecessary. The sport as a whole is extremely physically demanding and yet it appears that it is being doubled down on in the spring. I would think that technique would be the focus in the off season to improve the skill set of the wrestlers. However keep doing what your doing if you think that is what wins team championships.

14 minutes ago, JIII said:

I didn’t say that there wasn’t a benefit but you would think that a technique driven approach has more benefits for everyone. An excessive amount of live wrestling has lots of inherent risks for the kids participating that are unnecessary. The sport as a whole is extremely physically demanding and yet it appears that it is being doubled down on in the spring. I would think that technique would be the focus in the off season to improve the skill set of the wrestlers. However keep doing what your doing if you think that is what wins team championships.

IMO coaching wrestling is a 3 pronged approach
1) Technique - which obviously is first demonstrated and taught but is improved through drilling and repetition.
2) Live wrestling - Which can't be replicated. Teaches what works in the real world and how to "win"
3) Strength and conditioning

During the season live wrestling takes place in 2 ways
1) Match competition which is prescheduled
2) In practice with the same partners over and over again

The "fight nights" allows wrestlers to get DIFFERENT competition besides what they see everyday in their own room. It also allows kids to wrestle as much as they want. Get tired - rest. The chances of getting injured drilling are just as high when live wrestling (at least that's been my lifetime experience).

Many camps are nothing but technique. Many camps are nothing but live wrestling. Many are both.

There is no right or wrong. But I do think most coaches would find it odd (unless being invited to teach at a camp) teaching technique to someone else's wrestlers - hence fight night. 

Edited by Newestguy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Newestguy said:

IMO coaching wrestling is a 3 pronged approach
1) Technique - which obviously is first demonstrated and taught but is improved through drilling and repetition.
2) Live wrestling - Which can't be replicated. Teaches what works in the real world and how to "win"
3) Strength and conditioning

During the season live wrestling takes place in 2 ways
1) Match competition which is prescheduled
2) In practice with the same partners over and over again

The "fight nights" allows wrestlers to get DIFFERENT competition besides what they see everyday in their own room. It also allows kids to wrestle as much as they want. Get tired - rest. The chances of getting injured drilling are just as high when live wrestling (at least that's been my lifetime experience).

Many camps are nothing but technique. Many camps are nothing but live wrestling. Many are both.

There is no right or wrong. But I do think most coaches would find it odd (unless being invited to teach at a camp) teaching technique to someone else's wrestlers - hence fight night. 

When it comes to training,  90% of training at the HS level should be technique driven and 10% should be live.  Actually that 90% might be low.  Hard drilling with a purpose is how kids develop and get better in this sport, not live matches in practice. 
Fight night and practices that focus mostly on live Matches in my opinion are completely worthless 

Fight Nights have helped the middle TN area get much better. I say “area” because it is helping everyone and not just the elite, well funded individual programs. 

The better wrestlers in middle TN are spread out among a large number of teams rather than concentrated in a few teams like some other areas. 

I’ve only been back in TN for 12 years and I’ve seen a huge shift in the number and quality of State medals collected by middle TN. I do credit Fight Nights for part of that trend. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, durdon said:

When it comes to training,  90% of training at the HS level should be technique driven and 10% should be live.  Actually that 90% might be low.  Hard drilling with a purpose is how kids develop and get better in this sport, not live matches in practice. 
Fight night and practices that focus mostly on live Matches in my opinion are completely worthless 

I would tend to agree with you in the BIG SCHEME OF THINGS. 

The bottom line is - it's off season. If kids don't want to workout they won't. Whatever can be offered for them to get some work in is a good thing. If it takes "fight nights" to get them to workout great. If you want to be a nazi and MAKE them come to drill sessions, more power to you. IMO freestyle/greco over the summertime is a great change of pace and generally speaking the BEST MOST SUCCESSFUL in the sport wrestle greco/freestyle (that's not my opinion, that's a fact). 

Someone asked a question - "why/what's fight nights" implying that since they don't do that in Chattanooga it must be stupid, and I simply gave my 2 cents. It isn't bad. Is it better than freestyle/greco - no. Is it better then the same ole, same ole they get doing the season? IMO yes, just to for something a bit different.

Edited by Newestguy