Fight nights

CoachKramer

45 minutes ago, deadlift said:

Fight Nights have helped the middle TN area get much better. I say “area” because it is helping everyone and not just the elite, well funded individual programs. 

The better wrestlers in middle TN are spread out among a large number of teams rather than concentrated in a few teams like some other areas. 

I’ve only been back in TN for 12 years and I’ve seen a huge shift in the number and quality of State medals collected by middle TN. I do credit Fight Nights for part of that trend. 

Dave, the working together as a collective has made all of middle TN better over the past decade.  Anytime that you can train together instead of isolation there is a huge benefit to everyone.  Bradley county and Chattanooga area kids have been training together for decades. The exact same thing has been happening with all of the top GA kids as regardless of the HS they go to they all train together.  
The only difference being that you will see less than 10% of the joint training being live and the majority being hard drilling, play wrestling and rep after rep.  I’ve seen this exact model nationwide in the areas that are dominate in wrestling. 

My point is that if you guys want to go to the next level and start dominating the state you guys need to move away from the heavy amount of live that you guys are doing when your kids get together to train and move to more hard precise drilling and play wrestling model instead.  

If a major training center were to open in the Nashville area like Compound, Young guns, level up etc that was not tied to any specific school that focused on hard drilling and play wrestling instead of live where the majority of middle TN kids could go train together nightly then within two years Middle TN would dominate this state. 
In my opinion for what it’s worth, it is the reliance on heavy live is what is holding Middle TN back.  

I think the important thing here is we have teams willing to open up their doors to the other schools around them to get better. Mat time is key to get better. If I am a HS school kid, I am going to this (it would not be my only training I hope) and live wrestle with the State placers, state champs, state qualifiers to get myself better. I bet there is some teaching going on, with wrestler to wrestler, that helps as well. This is just one way to get better and not the end all be all that I feel like it is being perceived as such. These coaches are taking time away from families and other responsibilities to open their facility for these kids and I, for one, am very grateful! Maybe another coach in the area will provide drill sessions 1 hour each week, and one coach will do freestyle/Greco. I’m not sure how they will do it, but let’s keep the main thing the main thing. We have coaches willing (in the off-season after spending countless hours working with these kids) to take more time out of their lives to help improve these kids and give them more mat time

Edited by GoTNwrestling

12 minutes ago, durdon said:

Dave, the working together as a collective has made all of middle TN better over the past decade.  Anytime that you can train together instead of isolation there is a huge benefit to everyone.  Bradley county and Chattanooga area kids have been training together for decades. The exact same thing has been happening with all of the top GA kids as regardless of the HS they go to they all train together.  
The only difference being that you will see less than 10% of the joint training being live and the majority being hard drilling, play wrestling and rep after rep.  I’ve seen this exact model nationwide in the areas that are dominate in wrestling. 

My point is that if you guys want to go to the next level and start dominating the state you guys need to move away from the heavy amount of live that you guys are doing when your kids get together to train and move to more hard precise drilling and play wrestling model instead.  

If a major training center were to open in the Nashville area like Compound, Young guns, level up etc that was not tied to any specific school that focused on hard drilling and play wrestling instead of live where the majority of middle TN kids could go train together nightly then within two years Middle TN would dominate this state. 
In my opinion for what it’s worth, it is the reliance on heavy live is what is holding Middle TN back.  

I agree with you, if they had a training center. The ideal situation would be to have one in almost every region or close to almost all schools, but Chattanooga is the exception here. They have the funds (as they have one already) and the community interest to make those commitments. Right now, I think coaches and communities are doing great for what they have right now, but working on getting improvements. As Middle TN grows in to dominating year in and year out, the other regions, I think the interest will grow and continue to grow. As you know, wrestling is not as recognized (stereotyping the entire state here, as multiple other sports which makes it more challenging. If Middle TN said let’s open one for football, baseball, etc. to make our kids better, dominate the state and get these kids scholarships, I guarantee it would be more likely for this facility to open fairly quicker than a facility for wrestling. I would love to see all regions make this step, but being close to Nashville helps them. It would be awesome to see every region getting double digit placers every year and not knowing who will be your eventual champion for every weight class as there are a few guys every year who could peak and get that title. 

Edited by GoTNwrestling

I don’t see middle TN as being held back. I see middle TN as an area to learn from. Our abundance of really good wrestlers are spread out between a large number of different teams. But if y’all want to give some advice on getting a majority of those kids on the same team then we’re all ears. Lol

But there is some misinformation if you think that fight nights are the only thing going on up here after the regular season. Fight nights are just one small part.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, deadlift said:

I don’t see middle TN as being held back. I see middle TN as an area to learn from. Our abundance of really good wrestlers are spread out between a large number of different teams. But if y’all want to give some advice on getting a majority of those kids on the same team then we’re all ears. Lol

But there is some misinformation if you think that fight nights are the only thing going on up here after the regular season. Fight nights are just one small part.

At Beech we are starting a heavy lifting program 3 days a week. One day a week we will add Technique/drill sessions to the end of the lift. Thursday will be live goes to work on that technique in a live setting... also “fight night” gets mat time for the young guys. It gives a way for someone to add 5-7 matches to work on a technique. 

I will say this, we have had kids wrestle freestyle matches and or folk style matches at fight night... it is up to the kids.

• Like 1

Benefits:

1.  Opportunity for all kids of all levels to stay exposed  to wrestling in the off season to continue to learn and grow at their own pace.

2.  Short travel for large room (lord knows we've heard enough about the bradley/Chatt rooms)

3.  Fairview may have 3 kids want to do work intermittently through the "off season" to supplement their national/FS/Greco competition schedule.  At fight nights they have several like minded kids in the room with them when they want to show up to do extra work, whereas if they didn't have fight nights, two kids would have to get a coach to let them in the gym to get in some work.

4.  Stay in shape

5.  Learn from other kids and coaches

6.  Stay connected to big school and D2 kids that they competed against for years in AAU

Disadvantages:

:?:

While I'm at it, let me go ahead and thank these coaches and programs for their commitment to raising the level of competition across the board in middle tn and opening their doors to kids from our program and others.  Some wise man once said, "It's just small school, who cares?"  Well we do at Fairview and apparently so do several coaches who afford us an opportunity to grow with them despite our school division status.

Edited by Biffmar4
left stuff out
  • Like 2

Ladies & Gents:  wrestling/training centers do cost money and it's nothing more than "Travel Wrestling" much like travel baseball or AAU Basketball.  Someone must pay for the gym, elite high level instruction, utilities, entry fees, travel cost to elite tournaments, etc...  I am just not convinced that the majority of wrestling families are willing/able to pay $5000.00 ($800.00-$1200.00 per month) for instruction not counting the cost of travel & uniforms for 3-5 months of wrestling.  It's not free and someone has to pay the bills.  I am fully aware that some areas of the state have a "SUGAR DADDY" that is not only able but willing to give back to the sport but unfortunately that is not the case for most areas.

Edited by cbg
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, cbg said:

Ladies & Gents:  wrestling/training centers do cost money and it's nothing more than "Travel Wrestling" much like travel baseball or AAU Basketball.  Someone must pay for the gym, elite high level instruction, utilities, entry fees, travel cost to elite tournaments, etc...  I am just not convinced that the majority of wrestling families are willing/able to pay $5000.00 ($800.00-$1200.00 per month) for instruction not counting the cost of travel & uniforms for 3-5 months of wrestling.  It's not free and someone has to pay the bills.  I am fully aware that some areas of the state have a "SUGAR DADDY" that is not only able but willing to give back to the sport but unfortunately that is not the case for most areas.

Very true, we had the same issues with “travel soccer” huge amounts of money I finally just got tired of paying. I will say that Chattanooga area for sure is blessed with some very generous donors to give back but Lord knows both Memphis and Nashville have more Millionaires compared to Nooga area, maybe someone should start beating some bushes to see if an ex wrestler or even someone who just loves the sport will come out with some money. And yes the end of this is a joke

Edited by cobrakid8