Inter-Divisional Internet Championships

NotSurprised

8 minutes ago, cbg said:

What does recruiting have to do with INDIVIDUAL STATE CHAMPIONS?  I fully understand the separation along whatever lines are required for team state championships but I am talking about individual state championships.  

Understand what your saying but at the end of the day these kids at Baylor are not from TN. So you have kids who grow up in TN, training to be a state champ their entire life, just for a school to go to GA, IL, etc, scoop up a nationally ranked kid, maybe not even live in TN, and win a TN state title. It’s all within the rules, but to say private school and public school should be combined for the individual tournament is non sense. We aren’t talking about a national tournament or prep nationals. Now combining small school and large school for individual makes more sense.

1 hour ago, cbg said:

What does recruiting have to do with INDIVIDUAL STATE CHAMPIONS?  I fully understand the separation along whatever lines are required for team state championships but I am talking about individual state championships.  

The same thing on why most D2 or FCS schools don’t play or wrestle against D1. I mean heck why do they have divisions in college at all for wrestling, I mean they should all be the same and all wrestle together for one trophy!

56 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

The same thing on why most D2 or FCS schools don’t play or wrestle against D1. I mean heck why do they have divisions in college at all for wrestling, I mean they should all be the same and all wrestle together for one trophy!

I am dating myself but back not to long ago the NAIA, NCAA D2 & NCAA D3 divisions had individuals that participated in the NCAA D1 Tournament.  It was discontinued due to the fact that several D2 & NAIA wrestlers won national championships and made the D1 coaches & schools look bad.  Just like anything in life you can run, duck, dodge and juke but you cannot escape the fact that iron sharpens iron.  The question has been ask many times before why there needs to be multiple state champions crowned in an INDIVIDUAL SPORT?  What happens when the D1 kids and the D2 kids have to compete for both jobs and college acceptance against one another?  Don't say that it is different because it is the exact same thing.  Look I know that the rules will never be changed back because we are now a soft society that avoids competing against each other.  I am of the generation that at 8 years old you had to "TRYOUT" for the local Little League baseball team.  There were kids every year that were cut because they were not deemed to be good enough to play Little League baseball.  Yes, the coaches tried to teach fundamentals but they also wanted to WIN and that's not a bad thing.  The problem with that is that at some point everyone is told they are not good enough for whatever reason and as educators & parents we must prepare kids for the fact there is always someone better.  By having divisions all we have done is water down the competition for everyone and we are not teaching those valuable lessons.  

Edited by cbg
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, cbg said:

I am dating myself but back not to long ago the NAIA, NCAA D2 & NCAA D3 divisions had individuals that participated in the NCAA D1 Tournament.  It was discontinued due to the fact that several D2 & NAIA wrestlers won national championships and made the D1 coaches & schools look bad.  Just like anything in life you can run, duck, dodge and juke but you cannot escape the fact that iron sharpens iron.  The question has been ask many times before why there needs to be multiple state champions crowned in an INDIVIDUAL SPORT?  What happens when the D1 kids and the D2 kids have to compete for both jobs and college acceptance against one another?  Don't say that it is different because it is the exact same thing.  Look I know that the rules will never be changed back because we are now a soft society that avoids competing against each other.  I am of the generation that at 8 years old you had to "TRYOUT" for the local Little League baseball team.  There were kids every year that were cut because they were not deemed to be good enough to play Little League baseball.  Yes, the coaches tried to teach fundamentals but they also wanted to WIN and that's not a bad thing.  The problem with that is that at some point everyone is told they are not good enough for whatever reason and as educators & parents we must prepare kids for the fact there is always someone better.  By having divisions all we have done is water down the competition for everyone and we are not teaching those valuable lessons.  

Tell me how many of those there was because I would bet you they didn't split it because of what you are saying! So to back that up please bring out the facts because again that's not at all what I heard from some coaches on the reason for the split for all college divisions and I can go back and look up all the champs and it's  littered with wrestlers from Oklahoma, Okie State, Iowa and what not and it has grown exceedingly even more the past few years. I mean if you think UTC can recruit even close to the same caliber wrestler that Penn State or Iowa or Ohio State can I am not sure that you are all there. There's a much bigger difference between the private schools compared to big and large school. One which can actually house their students, pay their coaching staffs handsomely (or why do you think Yost jumps from Cleveland to McCallie?) they have as much room in some of their athletic centers compared to some schools have in their entire building(I trained in the SAC so I promise I understand what it means to a kid walking into that beautiful building compared to walking into the Soddy Daisy wrestling arena which is probably older than you are.) oh and also let me know how many wrestlers the kids club for both McCallie and Baylor have in them because I have seen you as well as a lot of supposedly knowledgeable people on here State that youth wrestling is the lifeblood for a school to be competitive and in my 25 plus years in wrestling in TN as well as North Georgia I haven't seen a ton of youth kids developed through a youth program for one of those private schools. Now I do with Father Ryan and to a point now CBHS, but seems like to me Baylor and McCallie wait until the kids are developed and go out and pick them up when the hard work for years has been put through. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cobrakid8 said:

Tell me how many of those there was because I would bet you they didn't split it because of what you are saying! So to back that up please bring out the facts because again that's not at all what I heard from some coaches on the reason for the split for all college divisions and I can go back and look up all the champs and it's  littered with wrestlers from Oklahoma, Okie State, Iowa and what not and it has grown exceedingly even more the past few years. I mean if you think UTC can recruit even close to the same caliber wrestler that Penn State or Iowa or Ohio State can I am not sure that you are all there. There's a much bigger difference between the private schools compared to big and large school. One which can actually house their students, pay their coaching staffs handsomely (or why do you think Yost jumps from Cleveland to McCallie?) they have as much room in some of their athletic centers compared to some schools have in their entire building(I trained in the SAC so I promise I understand what it means to a kid walking into that beautiful building compared to walking into the Soddy Daisy wrestling arena which is probably older than you are.) oh and also let me know how many wrestlers the kids club for both McCallie and Baylor have in them because I have seen you as well as a lot of supposedly knowledgeable people on here State that youth wrestling is the lifeblood for a school to be competitive and in my 25 plus years in wrestling in TN as well as North Georgia I haven't seen a ton of youth kids developed through a youth program for one of those private schools. Now I do with Father Ryan and to a point now CBHS, but seems like to me Baylor and McCallie wait until the kids are developed and go out and pick them up when the hard work for years has been put through. 

What can help you the most can be found here,

https://www.time4writing.com/elementary-school/grammar-skills/ 

53 minutes ago, sx1234 said:

What can help you the most can be found here,

https://www.time4writing.com/elementary-school/grammar-skills/ 

If I cared anything about grammar I wouldn’t be on a wrestling board at all. Considering you have a pro wrestling pic as your profile you probably aren’t very smart to begin with good grammar or not! 

• Upvote 1

On 3/3/2020 at 12:16 PM, cobrakid8 said:

oh and also let me know how many wrestlers the kids club for both McCallie and Baylor have in them because I have seen you as well as a lot of supposedly knowledgeable people on here State that youth wrestling is the lifeblood for a school to be competitive and in my 25 plus years in wrestling in TN as well as North Georgia I haven't seen a ton of youth kids developed through a youth program for one of those private schools. Now I do with Father Ryan and to a point now CBHS, but seems like to me Baylor and McCallie wait until the kids are developed and go out and pick them up when the hard work for years has been put through. 

You speak a lot about being around to see all things TN wrestling, but somehow don’t recall the Red Raider wrestling club winning the kids state consistently during Mike Sutherland’s time? At the same time you fail to acknowledge the talent that trained in that room. The last time I heard someone ask Mike how many highschool state champs came out of the club he replied “I’m not sure.” That’s how many there have been. The thing about kids clubs at Baylor and McCallie is that they actually help the rest of the schools in Chattanooga as much if not more than they do their own programs. Wanna know why? Because Baylor and Mccallie  ,News Flash, don’t have elementary schools and not every kid in those clubs goes on to attend the respective school due to several reasons. The reason Baylor and Mccallie dominate Chattanooga wrestling is because their administration prioritizes the sport. There was a time when the administration at Soddy cared about wrestling and combining that with years of hard work by some great coaches, they were able to compete just as Cleveland and Bradley have been able to. If you wanna be great, build a continuous culture over decades and reap the benefits. So cry all you want about private this, advantage that. No one really cares, work harder.

Edited by NotSurprised
typo
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, NotSurprised said:

You speak a lot about being around to see all things TN wrestling, but somehow don’t recall the Red Raider wrestling club winning the kids state consistently during Mike Sutherland’s time? At the same time you fail to acknowledge the talent that trained in that room. The last time I heard someone ask Mike how many highschool state champs came out of the club he replied “I’m not sure.” That’s how many there have been. The thing about kids clubs at Baylor and McCallie is that they actually help the rest of the schools in Chattanooga as much if not more than they do their own programs. Wanna know why? Because Baylor and Mccallie  ,News Flash, don’t have elementary schools and not every kid in those clubs goes on to attend the respective school due to several reasons. The reason Baylor and Mccallie dominate Chattanooga wrestling his because their administration prioritizes the sport. There was a time when the administration at Soddy cared about wrestling and combining that with years of hard work by some great coaches, they were able to compete just as Cleveland and Bradley have been able to. If you wanna be great, build a continuous culture over decades and reap the benefits. So cry all you want about private this, advantage that. No one really cares, work harder.

mike had a huge club at Baylor, but you could prob count on one hand how many kids actually ended up going to Baylor.......so that has NOTHING to do with Baylor’s success, but more to do with other programs getting petty good kids.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2020 at 10:22 AM, Rasslinking said:

Let’s be real....there are 7 divisions with 16 man brackets....Brookwood being the 3rd best team in CH division. You better be placing 11.

CH from back in the day.....most definitely could have competed, maybe beat Baylor..... no way they compete this year though.

I wanted to say...I don't like the 7 divisions either.  It may make sense for some sports, but they don't do it in GA. for lacrosse......so why not use those divisions for wrestling. Then it would be 1A-5A and 6A-7A. 

I helped run the state tournament here for about 10 years.  The reason for the 16 man brackets was to shorten the length of the tournament and reduce cost of places like the Gwinnett Arena.  So, now we have sectionals ahead of the state tournament.  So you go region, section, state.....top 8 from each section to state. 

And to keep focus on this thread........I also had a nephew that was a state champ at Baylor.  I'm guessing had he not gone to Baylor, he was probably zoned for Soddy Daisy.

Odd how Corday was at Buford last year??......where my youngest was....but she was a manager. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RMC said:

I wanted to say...I don't like the 7 divisions either.  It may make sense for some sports, but they don't do it in GA. for lacrosse......so why not use those divisions for wrestling. Then it would be 1A-5A and 6A-7A. 

I helped run the state tournament here for about 10 years.  The reason for the 16 man brackets was to shorten the length of the tournament and reduce cost of places like the Gwinnett Arena.  So, now we have sectionals ahead of the state tournament.  So you go region, section, state.....top 8 from each section to state. 

And to keep focus on this thread........I also had a nephew that was a state champ at Baylor.  I'm guessing had he not gone to Baylor, he was probably zoned for Soddy Daisy.

Odd how Corday was at Buford last year??......where my youngest was....but she was a manager. 

Baylor is an incredible school and wrestling program. I can see why kids want to wrestle there. A number of out of state kids have had successful careers over the past few seasons.

Based on Track, it listed where most of the kids started, but not sure how accurate and I would defer to @durdon who follows the area more closely.

106: Corday - Georgia

113: Bond - Alabama 

120: Hartline - Soddy Daisy 

126: Tisdale - East Ridge

132: Horst - Gallatin 

138: Dendy - Chattanooga

145: Radpour - Chattanooga

152: Mannella - Georgia

160: Alvarez - Georgia

170: Garriques - Illinois 

182: Duffy - Chattanooga

195: Harper - Georgia