Jump to content

Inter-Divisional Internet Championships


NotSurprised
 Share

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, mat73557 said:

allowed to do the same things that D2 schools are able to do. 

 

That would be fine with me if the public schools and private schools had the exact same rules.  Remember that we are discussing an INDIVIDUAL SPORT and not a team sport.  What is unfair about the two divisions competing for a single division state championship in all individual sports?  As a public school athlete back in the day I would have been embarrassed to have been beat by a "TEA SIPPER" from MBA or McCallie.  Let's not forget that every school has both advantages and disadvantages that other schools are not provided.  It's what you do with those advantages and disadvantages that make a great program or bad program.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, cbg said:

What is unfair about the two divisions competing for a single division state championship in all individual sports?  

First thing that comes to mind is access to high quality coaching and superior facilities.  Then I would add that practice rooms tend to have more and/or better quality practice partners on a day in day out basis than public schools.  And then...I would also think that access to higher level competition via travel creates an advantage that most public schools can't compete with. 

That's just off the top of my head tho.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mat73557 said:

First thing that comes to mind is access to high quality coaching and superior facilities.  Then I would add that practice rooms tend to have more and/or better quality practice partners on a day in day out basis than public schools.  And then...I would also think that access to higher level competition via travel creates an advantage that most public schools can't compete with. 

That's just off the top of my head tho.

Are you talking about Cleveland? Or did I just disprove that entire statement?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mat73557 said:

First thing that comes to mind is access to high quality coaching and superior facilities.  Then I would add that practice rooms tend to have more and/or better quality practice partners on a day in day out basis than public schools.  And then...I would also think that access to higher level competition via travel creates an advantage that most public schools can't compete with. 

That's just off the top of my head tho.

Are you saying that the private school  wrestling coaches are better than you and your contemporaries?  When I was a public school student my coach would have been totally embarrassed if someone had even suggested that he was not as good of a coach as the private school coaches.  Let's be real and say that facilities are nice but facilities do not make a champion, that comes from hard working kids that are motivated by dedicated good coaches. Having a defeated attitude before you even begin is not what I wanted for my children or even my grandchildren.  I want coaches that are willing to accept the challenge and take on the very best the State of Tennessee has to offer.  When the public school students graduate they must compete for college acceptance with the private schools kids and they must compete against the private school graduates for jobs.  Why would we compete in everything that life has to offer but refuse to compete for a state championship in an individual sport?  Just because I attended a public school does not mean that I am not the best in the 100m, men's bowling, 1500m, pole vault, men's tennis, diving, 106/lb wrestling, etc... Is a defeated attitude before you even begin what you really want to convey to your student athletes? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, jojopanono said:

Anyone who would like can go to a d2 school. Make the grades and pay the money and you too can run with the big dogs. For the love of GOD please stop beating this horse!

The level of sarcasm in this post is quite dignified, as this degree of humor is unappreciated by most in our society.  Kudos to you!

Edited by sx1234
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are a lot of assumptions in these arguments, and a lot of people with very short memories of who won state titles before the splits came into affect.  I would agree that this year, if  there was 1 state tournament for all schools, the majority of state champions would have came from D2 schools (I'd say 6 or 7-not quite 10).  However, If you look in your programs at the years all schools were combined, you will see that the majority of individual state champions came from public schools (AAA or A/AA now).  To call D2 "the big dogs" is pretty laughable, as it wasn't that long ago that D2 was referred to as the "JV State Tournament" by most coaches.  Also- when you look at kids in D2 that used to be in public schools and feeder programs for public schools, how can you say that the better coaches are in private schools?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

CBG......I'm with you on this one. 

But I am glad someone didn't inform the private schools in Georgia they were supposed to be better.  I'm not as close to sport as I used to be, but I'm thinking Camden County or Collins Hill would still hang with any Tennessee private school.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, cbg said:

Are you saying that the private school  wrestling coaches are better than you and your contemporaries?  When I was a public school student my coach would have been totally embarrassed if someone had even suggested that he was not as good of a coach as the private school coaches.  Let's be real and say that facilities are nice but facilities do not make a champion, that comes from hard working kids that are motivated by dedicated good coaches. Having a defeated attitude before you even begin is not what I wanted for my children or even my grandchildren.  I want coaches that are willing to accept the challenge and take on the very best the State of Tennessee has to offer.  When the public school students graduate they must compete for college acceptance with the private schools kids and they must compete against the private school graduates for jobs.  Why would we compete in everything that life has to offer but refuse to compete for a state championship in an individual sport?  Just because I attended a public school does not mean that I am not the best in the 100m, men's bowling, 1500m, pole vault, men's tennis, diving, 106/lb wrestling, etc... Is a defeated attitude before you even begin what you really want to convey to your student athletes? 

What?  This doesn't address the original argument in the slightest.  As a whole, private schools have access to better facilities, better coaching, better partners, and more travel opportunities.  Sure, there are outliers on both sides.

All this stuff about defeated attitudes is irrelevant to my original point.  Privates, in general have access to things that the majority of public schools do not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RMC said:

CBG......I'm with you on this one. 

But I am glad someone didn't inform the private schools in Georgia they were supposed to be better.  I'm not as close to sport as I used to be, but I'm thinking Camden County or Collins Hill would still hang with any Tennessee private school.

Maybe back in the day Collins Hill, but pretty sure Baylor would have slapped them around this season. Baylor was loaded and I think they would also have had a shot with Camden. As far as the rest of the state, Camden isn’t even close to the biggest school in your state and still would have the highest student population of any TN high school, Collins Hill would be about 1000 more than our highest Collierville. Now maybe if you said Jefferson I would agree, they of course would still be considered a big school in TN instead of a AAA school as they are in Georgia. But again still not sure which if any GA teams would have beaten baylor this year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mat73557 said:

What?  This doesn't address the original argument in the slightest.  As a whole, private schools have access to better facilities, better coaching, better partners, and more travel opportunities.  Sure, there are outliers on both sides.

All this stuff about defeated attitudes is irrelevant to my original point.  Privates, in general have access to things that the majority of public schools do not.

I am guessing if these great beautiful campuses did nothing to recruit people we should tell D1 schools to quit, they are wasting their time with these multi million facility upgrades. heck I would almost bet McCallies Sports and Activites Center is bigger than a lot of schools. You dang right if I could afford it my son would be going there, so let’s not pretend public and private schools are apples to apples at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, mat73557 said:

What?  This doesn't address the original argument in the slightest.  As a whole, private schools have access to better facilities, better coaching, better partners, and more travel opportunities.  Sure, there are outliers on both sides.

All this stuff about defeated attitudes is irrelevant to my original point.  Privates, in general have access to things that the majority of public schools do not.

Coaches are the exception haha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

Announcements




×
  • Create New...