Inter-Divisional Internet Championships

NotSurprised

3 hours ago, FRHSIrishVol said:

Baylor is an incredible school and wrestling program. I can see why kids want to wrestle there. A number of out of state kids have had successful careers over the past few seasons.

Based on Track, it listed where most of the kids started, but not sure how accurate and I would defer to @durdon who follows the area more closely.

106: Corday - Georgia

113: Bond - Alabama 

120: Hartline - Soddy Daisy 

126: Tisdale - ?

132: Horst - Gallatin 

138: Dendy - Chattanooga

145: Radpour - Chattanooga

152: Mannella - Georgia

160: Alvarez - Georgia

170: Garriques - Illinois 

182: Duffy - Chattanooga

195: Harper - Georgia

220: Chambers - Soddy Daisy

285: Christensen - ?

106: Corday - Atlanta area

113: Bond - Chattanooga area 

120: Hartline - Chattanooga Area 

126: Tisdale - Chattanooga area 

132: Horst - Nashville area 

138: Dendy - Chattanooga Area 

145: Radpour - Chattanooga Area 

152: Mannella - Atlanta area 

160: Alvarez - Chattanooga area 

170: Garriques - Chicago 

182: Duffy - Chattanooga Area 

195: Harper - Chattanooga Area 

220: Chambers - Chattanooga area 

285: Christensen - Chattanooga area 

so really Baylor only has 4 Borders that are starters on there team and two of them didn’t make the state finals. The rest of their kids are Chattanooga area kids. Noah and Corday are their only borders that are really high level kids and Noah grew up in the Chattanooga area. 
Whoever thinks that Baylor and McCallie are recruiting kids all over the country is nuts. Both McCallie and Baylor have a ton of GA kids because Chattanooga is on the GA/TN line.   Ask anyone who lives on lookout mountain and they will tell you they live in Chattanooga even though they have a GA address.  Most of the people that live in the dalton area actually work in Chattanooga.
Gunner Baylor’s Chicago kid just showed up there this year because he went to Baylor for academics.  He had to find the wrestling coaches and tell them he wanted to wrestle because nobody in their program knew who he was. 

This perception that Baylor is recruiting and getting kids from all over is bunk. They are getting all the kids in North Ga/Chattanooga area that all grew up on travel team that Dendy coached for years with his son. It just happens that all those kids are a lot better than rest of the kids in our state. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, durdon said:

so really Baylor only has 4 Borders that are starters on there team and two of them didn’t make the state finals. The rest of their kids are Chattanooga area kids. Noah and Corday are their only borders that are really high level kids and Noah grew up in the Chattanooga area. 
Whoever thinks that Baylor and McCallie are recruiting kids all over the country is nuts. Both McCallie and Baylor have a ton of GA kids because Chattanooga is on the GA/TN line.   Ask anyone who lives on lookout mountain and they will tell you they live in Chattanooga even though they have a GA address.  Most of the people that live in the dalton area actually work in Chattanooga.
Gunner Baylor’s Chicago kid just showed up there this year because he went to Baylor for academics.  He had to find the wrestling coaches and tell them he wanted to wrestle because nobody in their program knew who he was. 

This perception that Baylor is recruiting and getting kids from all over is bunk. They are getting all the kids in North Ga/Chattanooga area that all grew up on travel team that Dendy coached for years with his son. It just happens that all those kids are a lot better than rest of the kids in our state. 

Hahahah oh Durden 

That’s EXACTLY was recruiting is. Nothing wrong with it. It’s with in their rules.

But ONLY 3 kids ever wrestled in thier kids club... hartline Duffy  and chambers( possibly radpour, never heard of him though)

Harper....Chattanooga...haha get out of here. Just bc his parents moved doesn’t mean he wasn’t recruited.

Alvarez is from Dalton Georgia

Dendy is from Lafayette Georgia

Bond is from Chattooga Georgia 

And when you say Gunner showed up for academics shows your ignorance.

They put Dendy’s dad on staff bc he would recruit these kids for them.

It’s OK, you guys are allowed to recruit. It’s all with in the rules, just don’t try and make it sound like they are developing talent. Makes you look stupid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, durdon said:

Honestly it doesn’t matter if they are “recruiting” under one person’s guidelines or they aren’t. Why are they not “recruiting” all over the country if they are allowed to? I believe at one point they were ranked 40th in the country? I guarantee if McCalle, Baylor and CBHS were recruiting all Over the country, it would help the perception of Tennessee as a whole in wrestling (as we have seen huge progress in the last few years), but also when they travel to Tennessee tourney’s they are making homegrown kids better. To me, it’s a win, win if the D-II schools stay in their own division, wrestle public schools in tourneys and duals but recruit nationally 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rasslinking said:

Hahahah oh Durden 

That’s EXACTLY was recruiting is. Nothing wrong with it. It’s with in their rules.

But ONLY 3 kids ever wrestled in thier kids club... hartline Duffy  and chambers( possibly radpour, never heard of him though)

Harper....Chattanooga...haha get out of here. Just bc his parents moved doesn’t mean he wasn’t recruited.

It’s OK, you guys are allowed to recruit. It’s all with in the rules, just don’t try and make it sound like they are developing talent. Makes you look stupid.

I never said they weren’t recruiting, I said they are just really only recruiting local area kids.  Just like every other school in the state does, public and Private. 

Thr Harpers live in Chattanooga now.  They are Tennesseans. . Alverez, Dendy, Bond, Whitworth, Braman all love in Ga and they can all get to a Baylor or McCallie in less than 20 minutes.  They all live in the Chattanooga AREA even though they have GA address. They are 100% LOCAL KIDS!!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rasslinking said:

Hahahah oh Durden 

What part about Baylor not having an elementary school to create said feeder club with kids guaranteed to attend the highschool do you not understand? This was completely skipped over in over in @Rasslinking 's reply to my last post as well. Where do you suppose Baylor find 14 kids willing to pay to attend the most expensive middle and highschool in the state? Keep in mind with all the "recruiting" talk, per TSSAA if an athlete receives more financial aid to attend a private school than they qualify for they are ineligible to compete in TSSAA sports. McCallie is in the same position. Great kids wanna be around other great kids, that is why people move to Chattanooga and Cleveland. They want to be surrounded with like minded folks who have similar goals. Because of this the families and kids make great sacrifices to put themselves in what they see as the best position for themselves. If Baylor could truly recruit in the capacity that you guys like to pretend they can things would be significantly more lopsided. They would not lose kids due to financial or academic reasons. As @durdon has mentioned before Baylor or Mccallie could start a youth team that travels and competes like minion does then allow all elite wrestlers in said club into their school for free and simply remove themselves from TSSAA like Hamilton Heights has done in Basketball. This would almost guarantee that all the tough wrestlers within an hour of Chattanooga attended said school, so be careful what you wish for.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 11:53 PM, NotSurprised said:

You speak a lot about being around to see all things TN wrestling, but somehow don’t recall the Red Raider wrestling club winning the kids state consistently during Mike Sutherland’s time? At the same time you fail to acknowledge the talent that trained in that room. The last time I heard someone ask Mike how many highschool state champs came out of the club he replied “I’m not sure.” That’s how many there have been. The thing about kids clubs at Baylor and McCallie is that they actually help the rest of the schools in Chattanooga as much if not more than they do their own programs. Wanna know why? Because Baylor and Mccallie  ,News Flash, don’t have elementary schools and not every kid in those clubs goes on to attend the respective school due to several reasons. The reason Baylor and Mccallie dominate Chattanooga wrestling is because their administration prioritizes the sport. There was a time when the administration at Soddy cared about wrestling and combining that with years of hard work by some great coaches, they were able to compete just as Cleveland and Bradley have been able to. If you wanna be great, build a continuous culture over decades and reap the benefits. So cry all you want about private this, advantage that. No one really cares, work harder.

You do know that Steve Henry is the Principal at Soddy Daisy high do you not? So to say that he doesn't prioritize wrestling at Soddy would be one of the most idiotic things I have seen on this site! 

Also Yes back in the day Baylor did have a pretty good kids club, but I don't see that anymore and not having an elementary school does nothing to change the fact they no longer do considering I have MANY friends that their children SWIM with their elementary age kids club swimming program while there are many other swim programs around here. Same can be said for McCallie, heck my kid goes to summer camp there and participates in soccer camp as well as academic ones like 3D printing and CAD drawings for engineering. They just do not care to have a program when they can pick kids up from other clubs to wrestle once they reach that age.  I mean do you not think either school has enough alumni now to have a complete wrestling kids program? Heck most of Soddy's wrestling club now are parents I graduated from in 99.

Also, do not tell me that privates do not have huge advantages, they can pick and choose exactly who they want in their schools(and how much they pay, and for anyone that wants to fight about this I have stood in the rooms with those at both big private schools here and was told how to get around filling out that "financial aid" qualification form as well as the other day and boarding scholarships they offer). Do you think Hardy who helped McCallie win a state title this year was there because of his shockingly good grades and great behavior? He was already kicked out of Baylor for his actions and I can promise you his grades are not all that good (just good enough to get him into college and that's about it). He is at that school just like a ton of their athletes because he can play a sport, not grades or anything else and ALSO if what he had done at Baylor had been at a public school he would have been kicked off his high school team and never played again. Instead we had the old privates cover up the misdeeds and he was kicked off just to turn up over at McCallie. Privates for sure can get away with a lot more of that and covering up compared to a public school and all because of their big prize sports!  

17 minutes ago, NotSurprised said:

What part about Baylor not having an elementary school to create said feeder club with kids guaranteed to attend the highschool do you not understand? This was completely skipped over in over in @Rasslinking 's reply to my last post as well. Where do you suppose Baylor find 14 kids willing to pay to attend the most expensive middle and highschool in the state? Keep in mind with all the "recruiting" talk, per TSSAA if an athlete receives more financial aid to attend a private school than they qualify for they are ineligible to compete in TSSAA sports. McCallie is in the same position. Great kids wanna be around other great kids, that is why people move to Chattanooga and Cleveland. They want to be surrounded with like minded folks who have similar goals. Because of this the families and kids make great sacrifices to put themselves in what they see as the best position for themselves. If Baylor could truly recruit in the capacity that you guys like to pretend they can things would be significantly more lopsided. They would not lose kids due to financial or academic reasons. As @durdon has mentioned before Baylor or Mccallie could start a youth team that travels and competes like minion does then allow all elite wrestlers in said club into their school for free and simply remove themselves from TSSAA like Hamilton Heights has done in Basketball. This would almost guarantee that all the tough wrestlers within an hour of Chattanooga attended said school, so be careful what you wish for.

Again, I don't mind the recruiting that Baylor, McCallie or any of the other privates do. As stated above it raises TN wrestling up to a higher level I am all for it. HOWEVER to think that not having an elementary school is an impediment to that shows ignorance! As you stated before it seems they had a great program many years ago and no longer have that.

Also there are so many ways around how much a kid qualifies for when it comes to financial aid that it's not even funny, that is the reason both state pretty much exactly this same statement "need is determined by School and Student Service for Financial Aid (SSS) and by Baylor’s Financial Aid Committee." 

Do you know why they put "Baylor's Financial Aid Committee?" Plus both also have day and boarding school student scholarships in which the school themselves are in charge of handing out. Read the rules for TSSAA and let me know if those also are allowed by TSSAA for the athlete to still be eligible. 

RMC, yes your nephew would have wrestled for Soddy Daisy and been a state champ for Soddy Daisy DANG good wrestler!

15 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

You do know that Steve Henry is the Principal at Soddy Daisy high do you not? So to say that he doesn't prioritize wrestling at Soddy would be one of the most idiotic things I have seen on this site! 

Also Yes back in the day Baylor did have a pretty good kids club, but I don't see that anymore and not having an elementary school does nothing to change the fact they no longer do considering I have MANY friends that their children SWIM with their elementary age kids club swimming program while there are many other swim programs around here. Same can be said for McCallie, heck my kid goes to summer camp there and participates in soccer camp as well as academic ones like 3D printing and CAD drawings for engineering. They just do not care to have a program when they can pick kids up from other clubs to wrestle once they reach that age.  I mean do you not think either school has enough alumni now to have a complete wrestling kids program? Heck most of Soddy's wrestling club now are parents I graduated from in 99.

Also, do not tell me that privates do not have huge advantages, they can pick and choose exactly who they want in their schools(and how much they pay, and for anyone that wants to fight about this I have stood in the rooms with those at both big private schools here and was told how to get around filling out that "financial aid" qualification form as well as the other day and boarding scholarships they offer). Do you think Hardy who helped McCallie win a state title this year was there because of his shockingly good grades and great behavior? He was already kicked out of Baylor for his actions and I can promise you his grades are not all that good (just good enough to get him into college and that's about it). He is at that school just like a ton of their athletes because he can play a sport, not grades or anything else and ALSO if what he had done at Baylor had been at a public school he would have been kicked off his high school team and never played again. Instead we had the old privates cover up the misdeeds and he was kicked off just to turn up over at McCallie. Privates for sure can get away with a lot more of that and covering up compared to a public school and all because of their big prize sports!  

1- Henry ran off the best coach to ever grace Soddy Daisy and the man behind their success in the 2000s, and they have not been successful since he moved to an administrative role (48th place at the state this year with 17 team points.) It takes a whole lot more than sitting in an office and wanting to be good.

2- Swimming is not a TSSAA sanctioned sport which means it is not subject to the rules I mentioned before which affect the sport we are actually talking about. Due to them not being under these rules they compete for a Prep National Title every year. (Similar to Hamilton Heights in Basketball)

3- I am pretty certain every school in the SE lowers its standards for the cash cow that is Highschool Football. That is a completely different discussion that should be had on its own board. We are talking about wrestling on this one.

4- There are quality wrestlers who would contribute that are turned away from Baylor every year because they cannot attend and be eligible to compete for the price their parents would like to pay. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NotSurprised said:

1- Henry ran off the best coach to ever grace Soddy Daisy and the man behind their success in the 2000s, and they have not been successful since he moved to an administrative role (48th place at the state this year with 17 team points.) It takes a whole lot more than sitting in an office and wanting to be good.

2- Swimming is not a TSSAA sanctioned sport which means it is not subject to the rules I mentioned before which affect the sport we are actually talking about. Due to them not being under these rules they compete for a Prep National Title every year. (Similar to Hamilton Heights in Basketball)

3- I am pretty certain every school in the SE lowers its standards for the cash cow that is Highschool Football. That is a completely different discussion that should be had on its own board. We are talking about wrestling on this one.

4- There are quality wrestlers who would contribute that are turned away from Baylor every year because they cannot attend and be eligible to compete for the price their parents would like to pay. 

1. I was around for that success in the 2000's as i was helping coach there during it, Soddy also had success in the 80's and 90's and would have won a few more state titles if not for the Bradley juggernaut teams at that time which would not even wrestle the privates. So don't tell me he ran off the reason they were good during that time period. Now if you want to say losing Turner hurt the program a lot that is probably a true statement but even Rabbit wrestled for RED BANK before he transferred over and Soddy was successful before that point even winning the first ever large division state title with Henry at the helm. Now if it was my team after Henry retired Shane would have been coaching the team, but lets not pretend he would have stayed there, I love Shane but he didn't even stay at Boyd for a minute. As my example earlier even Yost (you know a Soddy boy) left Cleveland while winning state titles to coach at McCallie (head coach in waiting) because public schools cannot come close to paying what a private school can. So again please try and give me a history lesson, because it won't work for you.

2. TSSAA rules have NOTHING against a private school having a youth wrestling program so that's not a real excuse, as a matter a fact they could actually offer it for free and bring in kids that might not be able to afford the sport and maybe build up some really good younger wrestlers. I mean the endowment is huge there, spend a little bit and get it done.

3. EVERY sport has its kids that are studs and they are given leeway on their transgressions. I have seen it in wrestling in private schools while not as much in public. I mean one former Soddy wrestler that was a placer and very well going to be a state champ was kicked off because of getting caught with weed, seen the same in private school kids where daddies money kept mouths shut. Also please don't even try and make all these private school wrestlers are there because of being so bright they need the best education, it would probably take me a few days to get their grades and what classes they take and when I was around these places in the mid 2000's wrestlers and football players were not taking hard classes and passing with all A's either. Just like with big time NCAA schools there are some really bright kids brought in that are elite but there are also some real morons that can barely tie their shoes there doing just enough with their tutors to pass to stay eligible.

4. Sure there are and again I stand by my statement the school can get what you pay brought down to what you want to pay very easily as I have a kid that isn't even elite in sports about to go into middle school that we have talked to both these schools as well as Boyd on him going to school there. 

But how about this, NotSurprised, you are right, there is no advantages for private schools. So answer me this, why are people if there are no advantages sports wise where privates across the nation usually have to have their own classifications stupid enough to pay above the costs of some college education to send their kids to private schools? Before you say academics I say BS, I spent time teaching in both, a smart kid is going to be a smart kid no matter where he goes to get his education. My son went to Soddy, he had a full ride to many schools and a 31 on the ACT, his younger brother will probably do the exact same thing and after all those years if I had sent them to private I would have saved tons of money sending him to public schools that I can spend on his college OR if he gets a free ride like my oldest I can spend on myself. Never have really understood why people think they have to go to a private school for a great education. As long as you the parent stay involved and help them to grow and learn a public school can be just as good academically. I guess sports wise neither of mine will ever get to walk in everyday to play inside the SAC or walk onto a college like campus like both McCallie and Baylor, but I also get to race cars and spend that saved money elsewhere. 

3 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

Again, I don't mind the recruiting that Baylor, McCallie or any of the other privates do. As stated above it raises TN wrestling up to a higher level I am all for it. HOWEVER to think that not having an elementary school is an impediment to that shows ignorance! As you stated before it seems they had a great program many years ago and no longer have that.

Also there are so many ways around how much a kid qualifies for when it comes to financial aid that it's not even funny, that is the reason both state pretty much exactly this same statement "need is determined by School and Student Service for Financial Aid (SSS) and by Baylor’s Financial Aid Committee." 

Do you know why they put "Baylor's Financial Aid Committee?" Plus both also have day and boarding school student scholarships in which the school themselves are in charge of handing out. Read the rules for TSSAA and let me know if those also are allowed by TSSAA for the athlete to still be eligible. 

RMC, yes your nephew would have wrestled for Soddy Daisy and been a state champ for Soddy Daisy DANG good wrestler!

Do you have a student at Baylor on financial aid? I'm Just wondering? Only because I do have a son at Baylor who at one time was on financial aid and now is NOT. Financial aid is not sprinkled around like fairy dust as you have eluded to in your post. Please don't comment on what things are or how things are done if you haven't been through it or have a child in it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jojopanono said:

Do you have a student at Baylor on financial aid? I'm Just wondering? Only because I do have a son at Baylor who at one time was on financial aid and now is NOT. Financial aid is not sprinkled around like fairy dust as you have eluded to in your post. Please don't comment on what things are or how things are done if you haven't been through it or have a child in it.

Nope, I have a 5th grader that they are calling me about just like McCallie is trying to get him to come to school there. I know exactly how much I would owe, except for the fact it changes and has lowered each time they call. Hmmm I wonder how that is happening, especially considering I make more now. So dont tell me I don't know something when I am dealing with it right now. I mean I guess some rich person must just be willing to help offset some costs of his education. 

Edited by cobrakid8