Recruiting, Coaches, & Recruit Placement Services

Tangledweb

This is something that has bothered me for a few years now concerning College Recruitment as I watch families struggle with understanding the recruiting process , how to get involved with the process, what are realistic schools, and what offers are real (committable) and which ones are just chumming the waters. Recruiting has changed a lot over the years and it’s no longer if your kid is good enough they will find him.  In reality, if your kid actually plays on Friday nights and wants to play football at the next level there is a good possibility that there is a school out there for them, but how do these families find the right match? Granted, it probably isn’t the coveted D-1 FBS school, but there are a lot of smaller colleges that still support a team. So why don’t the coaches help their kids play at the next level instead of bashing the people (recruiting services) who have made it a business to help kids get to play at the next level. If you don’t like what they do then offer an alternative to the services that charge money. If you don’t help them it would be like a school teacher saying it’s not their job to help your kid be academically prepared for college. These coaches and schools need these players if they want a competitive team and these kids are willing to put their very lives and bodies on the line to play their chosen sport, so why wouldn’t you want to help them move on. Most parents don’t understand the process so they have to turn to someone to learn and get help, why wouldn’t the coaching staff and the school want to promote and help these families? Is it because they are too busy? Maybe it’s because they they don’t understand it theirselves? Maybe they think it’s a distraction? I don’t know the answer, but I know there are a lot a very good, hardworking, dedicated HS football players who don’t even get to talk to a college recruiter or have their coach take the time to help promote the kids that look up to them? Yes, the kids that fit the desired measurables (ht, wt, spd) will be found, I’m not talking about those kids - I’m talking about the kids who need a little help with the marketing side of recruitment and HS coaches saying, look - he may not be 6’4” DE, but he plays bigger than he looks. Why not find a coach that is passionate about helping these kids (not just the superstars) maneuver through the waters, goes out of their way to make contacts at the next level and call them College Liaison coaches???? We have too much unnoticed talent that could play at the next level if they had someone help them get there. Thoughts?

Edited by Tangledweb
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
On 3/4/2020 at 10:47 PM, Tangledweb said:

Why not find a coach that is passionate about helping these kids (not just the superstars) maneuver through the waters, goes out of their way to make contacts at the next level and call them College Liaison coaches???? We have too much unnoticed talent that could play at the next level if they had someone help them get there. Thoughts?

Tangled:

All football programs aren't equal, especially when it comes to recruitment of their players. I don't know what the particular circumstances and situations that are in place at the school near you, but there are differences, to be sure. You also have to understand the philosophy of the coaches involved and whether or not their is built-in orginization, and compensation. Is there a a lively and vibrant booster orginization? What is the teams record each year, is it a winning program? 

Asking those questions is the beginnig, but it all boils down to the HC and the supporting admiistration. Either you WORK at this or you don't. Believe me ... it's work. You have to have a working understanding of the recruitment process. You have to have an understainging spouse because the long hours are year round, not just during football season. How many camps does your HC attend with their players each year? 1, 2,5, 7?

There are several coaches around the state that excell at this. There are some that are decent, and then thare are those that simply aren't any good at it. It is very time consuming, to say the least. A lot of programs just don't have the support, the drive, or both. The programs that usually have a lot of D-1 recruits over and over do because they help get guys into college ... whether it's UT, UT Martin, or Tennessee State University, etc.

Either your HS football program knows what they are doing and it has a system in place, or they don't.

That's my $0.02 worth.

Edited by kwc
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tangeledweb... I enjoyed your comments on HS recruitment. I really did. This is a real problem for families. At the time I always thought the coach should be recruiting for his seniors, and to some degree I still do. But realistically the coaches need to be in the here and now regarding winning the current season. I sense your frustration with the process and I too have experienced it.

i think the state board of education should gather together all athletic directors( or who is appropriate) to develop a course on athletic recruiting ( and not just football.

It would serve as a template for families to follow, of steps to follow, key contacts.

It could be downloaded.

most important is that it would fit the needs of coaches at the next level

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2020 at 2:09 PM, kwc said:

Tangled:

All football programs aren't equal, especially when it comes to recruitment of their players. I don't know what the particular circumstances and situations that are in place at the school near you, but there are differences, to be sure. You also have to understand the philosophy of the coaches involved and whether or not their is built-in orginization, and compensation. Is there a a lively and vibrant booster orginization? What is the teams record each year, is it a winning program? 

Asking those questions is the beginnig, but it all boils down to the HC and the supporting admiistration. Either you WORK at this or you don't. Believe me ... it's work. You have to have a working understanding of the recruitment process. You have to have an understainging spouse because the long hours are year round, not just during football season. How many camps does your HC attend with their players each year? 1, 2,5, 7?

There are several coaches around the state that excell at this. There are some that are decent, and then thare are those that simply aren't any good at it. It is very time consuming, to say the least. A lot of programs just don't have the support, the drive, or both. The programs that usually have a lot of D-1 recruits over and over do because they help get guys into college ... whether it's UT, UT Martin, or Tennessee State University, etc.

Either your HS football program knows what they are doing and it has a system in place, or they don't.

That's my $0.02 worth.

Excellent points!  I moved back to Tennessee from Texas.  What kwc describes is exactly what the expectation is of the HC in most schools in Tx.  I like to follow HS sports and have seen the posts from Whitehaven with the guys at camps out of state and dominating.  People always look up to California, Florida, and Texas....what they don't realize is that those coaches grind all year.  Now I will say that the compensation structure for coaches is different in those states.....

Cheers KWC!

• Like 1