Westview or Covington who will win this one

802Tomcat

1 hour ago, HawkGuy06 said:

I asked you this in another post. What makes this year so special for Westview? They definitely will make it to state. 8th year in a row is special, but why would you say they win the gold ball this year? What makes year 8 so special? I do think their best chance was last year, when it was no clear favorite in AA. When Upperman loss & Macon went dwn all the “big dogs” was eliminated. Macon County was young last year, so now they add experience! It’s a lil different than A! Loretto is the only team that can beat y’all(Greenfield) but you are still 5-8 better! Give y’all the gold ball now! It don’t work like that in AA! 

Macon County can definitely beat Westview.  I'd love to see that game, it will be a great one.  Westview is a great team.

Coming from a Loretto fan, we aren't the only team in A that could dethrone Greenfield.  I could see Clarkrange doing so as well (I could also see Greenfield winning by 15), but they have the potential to beat Greenfield.  I don't see anyone else beating them though.

Everyone has their opinions on here but here are some facts and numbers to help formulate them.

Covington is #2 in defense in the state, giving up 33.8 ppg. Westview is 3rd, allowing 34.2. Could be a low scoring affair.

Covington had won 12 straight before Wednesday's loss to Melrose. They won four of those games without PG Kalynn Howard. She has been back in postseason.

Westview has won 15 consecutive games and held their opponents during that time to 29.1 ppg.

Common Opponents:
Fayette-Ware: WV won on road 54-27, Cov  won 51-31 on road &  52-33 at home
Union City: WV won 50-25 at home & lost 54-52 on road. Cov won 49-46 at home & lost 42-34 on road
Gibson Co.: WV lost 45-36 at home, Cov won 48-40 on road.
Both Westview losses above were without Alexis Callins. They are unbeaten with her playing.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mas1821 said:

Macon County can definitely beat Westview.  I'd love to see that game, it will be a great one.  Westview is a great team.

Coming from a Loretto fan, we aren't the only team in A that could dethrone Greenfield.  I could see Clarkrange doing so as well (I could also see Greenfield winning by 15), but they have the potential to beat Greenfield.  I don't see anyone else beating them though.

You watch the NCAA tournament don’t you? Any thing can happen up there. Call me crazy. But if Gibson County makes it up there we will love being the underdog. Puts all the pressure on the rest of the field. Westview is good, but anyone can get beat. Have to bring it every possession up there.

10 minutes ago, mas1821 said:

I haven’t seen y’all play this year. Are y’all senior lead? What experience do you guys have? I know y’all have in past been good. 

1 minute ago, pioneer42 said:

You watch the NCAA tournament don’t you? Any thing can happen up there. Call me crazy. But if Gibson County makes it up there we will love being the underdog. Puts all the pressure on the rest of the field. Westview is good, but anyone can get beat. Have to bring it every possession up there.

You'll definitely have the best knowledge of Greenfield and a more than capable coach to use that knowledge to carve out a gameplan..  that's for sure.

11 minutes ago, mas1821 said:

You'll definitely have the best knowledge of Greenfield and a more than capable coach to use that knowledge to carve out a gameplan..  that's for sure.

Union City and Gibson County both gave Greenfield a dogfight in the tournaments. Gibson County may not beat them “iF” we are blessed to play them again, but our girls are definitely more confident that they can play with them now. Think it is crucial to get off to a good start against them. We have got off to a bad start both times we played them. First game was early and we fell apart, but second game we bounced back but couldn’t get over the hump.

Edited by pioneer42
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Greenfieldfan said:

It’s all about peaking at the right time. The Westview Coach is a good coach and he knows that. Who knows I may be wrong but Westview looks like the team to beat to me. I appreciate your kind words for Greenfield but its not a sure thing. We love our team but let’s let this year play out. This could be a very special year. 

I agree he is a great coach. If he gets that gold ball he will be greater lol