Pearl-Cohn vs East Nashville

ecu

9 hours ago, BALLknowitALL said:

East has another level of press and pressure. I agree, you must play fast throughout the year. The game will be sped up at some point, even if you control tempo for most the game. You have to be prepared to survive or compete when the game does SPEED UP if you want to compete with the elite teams.  Great year for community, but sounds like they just weren’t ready, or couldn’t survive once the game was sped up.

really hoping southside, Wooddale, and pearl aren’t on same side. That would be a shame.

Our guys came out flat. Anybody who has seen us play all year know that. The kids adjusted and took the game over.

On 3/10/2020 at 6:58 PM, EastNasty said:

Our guys came out flat. Anybody who has seen us play all year know that. The kids adjusted and took the game over.

They were not flat, they were being outplayed and struggling with the zone defense. Community played poorly in 3rd quarter and once they lost the lead they had to come out of zone. East was much quicker and took over. East is good but not elite.

3 hours ago, ecu said:

They were not flat, they were being outplayed and struggling with the zone defense. Community played poorly in 3rd quarter and once they lost the lead they had to come out of zone. East was much quicker and took over. East is good but not elite.

I was lucky to get a ticket to the game Monday and I have to say in all my years of going to games and coaching a long time ago that was the most fun atmosphere I have been in in a high school game. I am sure people are down playing Community just because they don't know enough about them because they have only been in 2A for 3 years. They are one of the smallest AA schools in the state and probably will go back down to A where they belong. I read where people are bashing their schedule. They played the same teams they have always played probably because of money. Most rural schools play teams that will bring fans and won't have to travel very far. They beat Warren County, Tullahoma, Shelbyville twice who they haven't played many years. All of which are twice or 3 times their size. They beat Eagleville twice who had a Mr. Basketball candidate and made the sectionals. Teams can't control how their district is so those 10 games were set. Not only were they beating these teams they were beating them soundly. I coached at some bigger schools in the 80's so I too had the bias against small schools but as a fan I have a lot of respect watching the smaller schools compete against schools larger than them. I always enjoy watching Community play because they play hard and are very well coached. They have been to the sectional round 3 times in the last few years and are close to breaking through. The fans should be proud of what they have achieved. East is no doubt a great team and I enjoyed the atmosphere and competition between the 2 schools. Let's give East credit for a great comeback and Community for competing at the highest level. It's what makes high school sports fun! Good luck to East and if they do make a run for the championship it should confirm to everyone that Community this season deserved to be among the conversation of the best teams in AA. 

23 hours ago, Observation said:

I was lucky to get a ticket to the game Monday and I have to say in all my years of going to games and coaching a long time ago that was the most fun atmosphere I have been in in a high school game. I am sure people are down playing Community just because they don't know enough about them because they have only been in 2A for 3 years. They are one of the smallest AA schools in the state and probably will go back down to A where they belong. I read where people are bashing their schedule. They played the same teams they have always played probably because of money. Most rural schools play teams that will bring fans and won't have to travel very far. They beat Warren County, Tullahoma, Shelbyville twice who they haven't played many years. All of which are twice or 3 times their size. They beat Eagleville twice who had a Mr. Basketball candidate and made the sectionals. Teams can't control how their district is so those 10 games were set. Not only were they beating these teams they were beating them soundly. I coached at some bigger schools in the 80's so I too had the bias against small schools but as a fan I have a lot of respect watching the smaller schools compete against schools larger than them. I always enjoy watching Community play because they play hard and are very well coached. They have been to the sectional round 3 times in the last few years and are close to breaking through. The fans should be proud of what they have achieved. East is no doubt a great team and I enjoyed the atmosphere and competition between the 2 schools. Let's give East credit for a great comeback and Community for competing at the highest level. It's what makes high school sports fun! Good luck to East and if they do make a run for the championship it should confirm to everyone that Community this season deserved to be among the conversation of the best teams in AA. 

Well said, but Community will not being going back down. There numbers are in the high 500's.

On 3/12/2020 at 8:55 AM, Observation said:

True you can’t knock there region schedule or the few rivals games. It just crazy to actually hear and see something about them this late in the season. I would love to see what they do moving forward.

2 hours ago, ecu said:

Community has one

They do but they played 8 to 9 deep so their starting 5 next year should be very competitive. I know nothing about their feeder programs or where they get kids from. With a school that size I would say maybe 1 possibly 2 feeders. It's a good place for boys hoops for sure. 

1 hour ago, Observation said:

They do but they played 8 to 9 deep so their starting 5 next year should be very competitive. I know nothing about their feeder programs or where they get kids from. With a school that size I would say maybe 1 possibly 2 feeders. It's a good place for boys hoops for sure. 

One feeder school with one good player coming up. Major drop off after first six. 

On 3/10/2020 at 10:08 AM, MichaelMyers76 said:

Looks like they did. Community just had not seen the difference in the  level of basketball. They were good in their little world. Step out and get run over.

This happens every season in all sports with teams playing a weak schedule!  Those same teams finish  the season with a great record and fold when they are forced to play great teams.  Coaches that have a weak district/region competition must travel and play whomever is available to get their team ready for the "Big Show" being post season basketball.  Who cares what a teams record is going into tournament play as the ultimate goal should be to win a state championship.

On 3/23/2020 at 12:50 PM, cbg said:

This happens every season in all sports with teams playing a weak schedule!  Those same teams finish  the season with a great record and fold when they are forced to play great teams.  Coaches that have a weak district/region competition must travel and play whomever is available to get their team ready for the "Big Show" being post season basketball.  Who cares what a teams record is going into tournament play as the ultimate goal should be to win a state championship.

Community played the same teams they always play. I am pretty sure it’s for financial reasons because all their non district games are their old district where their student enrollments are closer together than in their own district. The ones they usually don’t play were AAA teams. They beat Warren County and Tullahoma both of which won their districts. They swept Eagleville who had a mr basketball winner and was a sectional team. I believe these schedules are done in spring so hard to tell sometimes who will be good. A friend of mine who would know said they went to camp in Maryville and the BCAT camp in Memphis and played some good competition. Weak schedule had nothing to do with them losing the sectional game. They were up 29-20 at half against East and led most of the third quarter. East went on a run and got the lead and then Community in the 4th started fouling and east made free throws. This was not a blow out by and stretch. Community held their own in this game. I just don’t think it’s fair for everyone to be downing their schedule when in years past no one said anything about any of the other teams in the district schedule. Nolensville played a lot of Nashville and larger schools probably because of travel and they are closer in size and they lost round one of the region at home to Creekwood. Did the tough schedule cause them to lose? Creekwood just probably made more shots that night. I saw Nolensville against Forest and they were a solid team. Community wasn’t only beating teams they did it pretty handily because they defended well and made shots the games I saw. All credit to East they made the plays late to win but Community was right there til the end.