A State Matchup Gibson Co vs Pickett Co

mas1821

1 hour ago, bobcatfan300 said:

And last year a very good Clay Co. team lost to Eagleville. Comparing scores doesn't always work. PC beat Gordonsville by 37 and 39. Eagleville beat them by 3 and 4. So PC should have won by 25. They didn't. They won though. They have lost 4 games...to Clarkrange four times but have beaten AAA, AA and every other A team they played. They had a bad game. That doesn't mean their next one will be. They had 8 threes but every time they drove in they were fouled and few were called including four times our girls were knocked down and once when Elly was given a bloody nose. Their coach stormed on to the floor screaming at the refs and continued to scream after being warned...no T! Near the end an Eagleville player wrapped her arms completely around Abbi and it was just a foul...no intentional. They overcame all that to win. Thursday is a new game.

Just because you drive it in doesn't mean you are fouled. Eagleville went straight up and blocked many shots. Was not impressed with PC.

3 hours ago, ecu said:

Just because you drive it in doesn't mean you are fouled. Eagleville went straight up and blocked many shots. Was not impressed with PC.

And when you are knocked to the floor at least four times and when you get hit so hard you get a bloody nose, you've been fouled. When our girls went straight up at the other end of the court, they were called for fouls. Also the coach got away with screaming at the refs and that girl got away without n intentional foul. Guess what? We weren't impressed with what was most likely our worst game of the year either...but we overcame that, and  bad officiating and won. All that matters is we're going to the state tournament for the fifth time in six years playing with one senior and the rest Juniors and sophomores.

31 minutes ago, GCPioneer said:

I’m watching the sub-state game between Pickett and Eagleville right now... Pickett reminds me a lot of Dresden. Good team, they may beat us, but I think we are the better team going in.

Very fundamental in what I have watched. Moves the ball extremely fast. Passes the ball well, shoots well and for sure gets down the floor in transition very quick. Always seems to be on the move. Looking on  film don’t seem to be an overally tall team but a team that has lots of ball handlers and skilled players. Looks like an interesting matchup.

Edited by pioneer42

On 3/8/2020 at 5:22 PM, westtn12 said:

What’s Pickett County’s makeup? Guards? Post? I feel this will be the best matchup at state. 

Post is Abbi Bilbrey who is I think 6'1' maybe a little taller. She blocks a lot of shots and can drive in to score and can hit the three. She is a junior. Elly Smith is the point guard. She's a good ball handler and can hit the three. Bailey Evans is a guard and hit the three and can handle the ball. Kyndal Lydick is a junior and is the leading scorer. She's an all around player, hits the three, can drive, rebounds etc. Chloe Burton is also a good three point shooter, great rebounder and gets lost of steals.  Coming in off the bench and plays a lot is Shalya Wood who is great on D, can hit the three, can drive in strong for layups and gets rebounds. She is a sophomore who made both the district tournament and region tournament all tournament teams. Also coming off the bench is Carol Ann Stockton who is also a sophomore. She is tough on D, can drive to the basket and gets plenty of rebounds. They are young and should be even better next year.

On 3/8/2020 at 5:22 PM, westtn12 said:

What’s Pickett County’s makeup? Guards? Post? I feel this will be the best matchup at state. 

This will be the best 1st round matchup. They have quick guards and 6’1 post that is a very good player. They press the entire game and really look to push the ball. Pressure pressure pressure 

Edited by UCSportsFan

43 minutes ago, UCSportsFan said:

That was a bad game for them. You’ll more than likely see a much better team. 

Bad game as all of you all are calling it is fine, but the player match-ups coming into this game favor Gibson... Outside of 1 player, Eagleville wasn’t very good.

Also, Gibson is on a roll right now... bad time of the year to be playing “bad games”....

Edited by GCPioneer

23 minutes ago, GCPioneer said:

Bad game as all of you all are calling it is fine, but the player match-ups coming into this game favor Gibson... Outside of 1 player, Eagleville wasn’t very good.

Also, Gibson is on a roll right now... bad time of the year to be playing “bad games”....

Pickett struggled, by their standards, against Trousdale twice late in the year and almost got beat by Eagleville. The common denominator is they both played predominantly 2-3 zone. Outside of #11, they didn’t show the ability to consistently stretch the floor against the zone. #24 struggled against the length of Eagleville’s post players at times and was reluctant to shoot it outside of 15 feet, although she did hit 1 long jumper. 

Eagleville only turned it over 10ish times and was able to keep the game largely in the half court. I think the key is limiting turnovers against Pickett’s pressure that turn into transition buckets and trying to contain their tempo.

I do think this game will be really entertaining. Two really good coaches and two really good teams playing with a lot on the line.