Job Openings

WestTNroundball

16 hours ago, 99Guy said:

Mike White I believe was his name, was a college coach. There are 2 Grace Christian's, 1 in Knoxville and 1 in Franklin.

Mark White, yes he is a friend of mine so I was wondering where he might have gone to. He had told me how good of a job and situation it was coming from the JUCO ranks. Thanks for the help and yes that is why I was wondering. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 12:49 PM, thegame523 said:

Mark White, yes he is a friend of mine so I was wondering where he might have gone to. He had told me how good of a job and situation it was coming from the JUCO ranks. Thanks for the help and yes that is why I was wondering. 

I was told he was not a good fit for the school at all.

10 hours ago, IrishBBall said:

I was told he was not a good fit for the school at all.

I completely understand. I would think Grace Christian would be a good coaching situation for basketball with the success they've had in the past. Of course I am from the way outside looking in. 

5 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Why do so many schools promote within ?  

I'm going to take a stab and answer your question.

In basketball, and especially this year, a lot of schools promoted from within is largely due to the coronavirus. Since schools have been out since mid-March (when a lot of these jobs weren't even announced), schools aren't willing to deal with their due diligence or do their homework and find the best fit for their program. Even if schools were to be in session, you're dealing with EOC testing at the end. In addition, basketball arguably doesn't make enough revenue compared to other schools. Also, you can't really justify how good an assistant coach is, especially in basketball If a team has a 10+ win increase, or a substantial increase in offensively and defensively numbers, who gets the credit? Head coach or assistant? Yes, assistant coaches have "specific duties" (whether if it's shooting, dealing with press, or defense) to help in practice. I just don't think that persuade's the AD or principal enough.

In football, if a head coach is offensive guy, and the defensive coordinator has a very much improved defense, that justifies the defense as a very good coach. The defensive coordinator can use stats as: how many players had over 100+ tackles in a season, tackles for loss, turnovers, points allowed, and yards allowed as a measuring tool to determined how good he is.  If the numbers are good or substantially than the numbers he inherited, then you, then you know coaches will put that on their resume. Also, job openings are usually in December (where you have the holiday break) and basically through Valentine's Day for the most part. Therefore, there's more time for AD's and principals to go through their homework and find out what's the best fit. Also, there's way more "community pride" and money in football, especially in the southeast (some schools are exception to that, but very few). 

In baseball/softball, unless a coach that has won numerous district titles, win 30+ games a season, have been to the spring fling a few times, or just setting the world on fire in terms of statistics, schools will probably hire from within. Unless, that assistant coach doesn't want the job.

• Upvote 1