State Basketball Tournament idea

bobcatfan300

I understand the need to suspend the tournament, but these kids have been striving for this for years. The seniors will be especially hurt. Why not find a neutral high school, make sure the gym is cleaned thoroughly and then take these last 12 teams and let them play. Maybe even only the teams with no parents. Video the game and let the parents watch it live in the auditorium, or give each a DVD of the game. Broadcast it live.  At least there could be a champion in A, AA and AAA. This would be safe and would save a lot of heartache. Sure it's not like playing in the Glass House, but the tournaments could be completed. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, bobcatfan300 said:

I understand the need to suspend the tournament, but these kids have been striving for this for years. The seniors will be especially hurt. Why not find a neutral high school, make sure the gym is cleaned thoroughly and then take these last 12 teams and let them play. Maybe even only the teams with no parents. Video the game and let the parents watch it live in the auditorium, or give each a DVD of the game. Broadcast it live.  At least there could be a champion in A, AA and AAA. This would be safe and would save a lot of heartache. Sure it's not like playing in the Glass House, but the tournaments could be completed. 

I think a lot of this comes down to what the true logic behind cancelling the tournament was. Did MTSU put pressure on the TSSAA to cancel it? If so, an alternate venue seems reasonable. Does the TSSAA truly think the threat is significant enough to warrant not playing at all?

If the TSSAA thinks the threat is that significant, they need to postpone all sporting events, not just the basketball tournament. Additionally, it probably isn't smart to have kids at school in general, if this is the case. 

I thought their original plan of limiting fans in attendance was an adequate step. While there are parallels with sports at all levels, there are logistical issues that COVID-19 was effecting that you face in college and pro sports that you don't in high school. Travelling to Murfreesboro is nothing like having to travel in a plane across the country. A football arena filled with 80,000 fans for March Madness is different then family members watching a game in the Murphy Center. 

As much as I'd like to see these tournaments played this week, we aren't. Your suggestion is a solid one, but the TSSAA has already made their stance that it seems too dangerous to play at all. To change their mind now would cause only more confusion.

The real question at this point is will they ever play these games? If we have to wait a month, would the TSSAA still try to play them? If they did, what difference would we see in the teams vs. if they played now? Are these schools supposed to just keep practicing while the TSSAA is in a holding pattern? What about the kids that play spring sports too? The TSSAA has a lot of questions that need to be answered and answered quickly. Some of those questions can be kept in a holding pattern, but overall they need to come out today or this weekend and lay out what Tennessee high school sports is going to look like while this virus is going on.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, SportsWestTN said:

I think a lot of this comes down to what the true logic behind cancelling the tournament was. Did MTSU put pressure on the TSSAA to cancel it? If so, an alternate venue seems reasonable. Does the TSSAA truly think the threat is significant enough to warrant not playing at all?

If the TSSAA thinks the threat is that significant, they need to postpone all sporting events, not just the basketball tournament. Additionally, it probably isn't smart to have kids at school in general, if this is the case. 

I thought their original plan of limiting fans in attendance was an adequate step. While there are parallels with sports at all levels, there are logistical issues that COVID-19 was effecting that you face in college and pro sports that you don't in high school. Travelling to Murfreesboro is nothing like having to travel in a plane across the country. A football arena filled with 80,000 fans for March Madness is different then family members watching a game in the Murphy Center. 

As much as I'd like to see these tournaments played this week, we aren't. Your suggestion is a solid one, but the TSSAA has already made their stance that it seems too dangerous to play at all. To change their mind now would cause only more confusion.

The real question at this point is will they ever play these games? If we have to wait a month, would the TSSAA still try to play them? If they did, what difference would we see in the teams vs. if they played now? Are these schools supposed to just keep practicing while the TSSAA is in a holding pattern? What about the kids that play spring sports too? The TSSAA has a lot of questions that need to be answered and answered quickly. Some of those questions can be kept in a holding pattern, but overall they need to come out today or this weekend and lay out what Tennessee high school sports is going to look like while this virus is going on.

Everything should be cancelled if there is this great a risk. Look for other sports to shut down next week.

• Like 1

ReedM@hcboe.net,
btrue12@hotmail.com,
david_meske@webbschool.org,
dgoodwin@dcawildcats.org,
grant.swallows@whitecoschools.net,
henry_steven@hcde.org,
jody.wright@knoxschools.org,
mcculloughgf@scsk12.org,
michel.sanchez@mnps.org,
ricky.catlett@chestercountyschools.org,
scottg@milanssd.org,
srussell@fayetteacademy.com

Above is the email for each member of the TSSAA board of control as well as the executive director, Mr. Childress. Please consider sending an email in support of moving the state tournament to a new location, allowing parents, players, and coaches only and FINISHING the tournament. The fact is the kids deserve the closure of playing the boys and girls state tournament out and seeing where they fall. If they don't finish it, they will always wonder what if. It will always be in their mind and never go away. I urge people, whether they have a team left of not, to please take the time to send a group email to the above emails and ask them to reconsider. 

Mr. Childress has said in an email to me that they will make a decision on tuesday on a conference call. PLEASE let them know that the kids should be allowed to finish and Tennessee should set the example for the rest of the country that we will not be pushed into a state of panic and fear!!

First, I think the safety and health of everyone involved is the first priority.  BUT..

In a culture where the media over hypes anything they can to get you to watch their broadcasts and everything said has political overtones, do you really think anyone will take a chance on being the one to make a call and put themselves in the crosshairs if someone were to bring a case of the common cold into the arena much less an over hyped flu? No way. Instead you will probably find them in the line at the General Dollar loading up on toilet paper.

• Like 1

My two cents is that the TSSAA should informed teams that a final decision on the tournament will be made on the weekend of April 5th. Therefore, that can give teams a few days off and also let them have some light scrimmages. Then, make the decision on that week whether if the tournament is going to be played or not. If it will be played, girls will be on April 16-17, and the boys will be on April 22-25. Our only hope is that the TSSAA doesn’t fall in line and just cancel everything just because all of the collages have cancelled their games. There’s no doubt the media is blowing this thing out of proportion, who knows what it’ll be like in 3 weeks from now - hopefully good. 

12 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

My two cents is that the TSSAA should informed teams that a final decision on the tournament will be made on the weekend of April 5th. Therefore, that can give teams a few days off and also let them have some light scrimmages. Then, make the decision on that week whether if the tournament is going to be played or not. If it will be played, girls will be on April 16-17, and the boys will be on April 22-25. Our only hope is that the TSSAA doesn’t fall in line and just cancel everything just because all of the collages have cancelled their games. There’s no doubt the media is blowing this thing out of proportion, who knows what it’ll be like in 3 weeks from now - hopefully good. 

With Spring sports in season now, I do not see them doing this as several that play basketball also play baseball and softball. I could be wrong though

2 hours ago, Play 4 Fun said:

ReedM@hcboe.net,
btrue12@hotmail.com,
david_meske@webbschool.org,
dgoodwin@dcawildcats.org,
grant.swallows@whitecoschools.net,
henry_steven@hcde.org,
jody.wright@knoxschools.org,
mcculloughgf@scsk12.org,
michel.sanchez@mnps.org,
ricky.catlett@chestercountyschools.org,
scottg@milanssd.org,
srussell@fayetteacademy.com

Above is the email for each member of the TSSAA board of control as well as the executive director, Mr. Childress. Please consider sending an email in support of moving the state tournament to a new location, allowing parents, players, and coaches only and FINISHING the tournament. The fact is the kids deserve the closure of playing the boys and girls state tournament out and seeing where they fall. If they don't finish it, they will always wonder what if. It will always be in their mind and never go away. I urge people, whether they have a team left of not, to please take the time to send a group email to the above emails and ask them to reconsider. 

Mr. Childress has said in an email to me that they will make a decision on tuesday on a conference call. PLEASE let them know that the kids should be allowed to finish and Tennessee should set the example for the rest of the country that we will not be pushed into a state of panic and fear!!

I sent my message which was the first post to everyone associated with TSSAA before I posted it on here. Go to TSSAA.com and all the emails are there. Let them know the tournament needs to be completed.

Edited by bobcatfan300
Added to it.

11 hours ago, bobcatfan300 said:

Sounds like a workable idea.

4 hours ago, Waker said:

Have any of the schools involved been closed? I’m asking because if they are still allowed to go to school they should be allowed to play.

Wilson, Shelby, Davidson, Rutherford, Williamson are all closed. Might be more but I know these are. Quite a few teams in boys and girls left from these School districts.