We see what happened to Basketball, could this spiral into Football Season?

BarneySox2007

21 hours ago, Bellsburg2 said:

This is going to get worse before it gets better. Numbers will rise dramatically over the coming weeks, but I am hopeful that some of the actions in recent days will help to curtail that rise. Social media is not real life, but currently there are only two voices out there: "this is no big deal" guy and "we're all gonna die" guy. These generally represent the far wings of the political spectrum as well. I have no doubt he truth lies somewhere in between. People you know will be affected by this. If we can slow the spread enough to allow the number of severe cases to remain manageable, then we can keep the death rates low. I believe the sports and school restrictions will last longer than we would hope, but we will know for sure in about 2 weeks. To answer your original question: Regardless of the upcoming weeks' events, this thing will run its course well before fall football.

We are on the same page save one detail... I don't believe there's any chance to avoid this thing running it's course. I can't imagine that there aren't thousands of infected people living out their ordinary lives right now, with symptoms minor enough not to be recognized as COVID-19. It's widely publicized that young and otherwise healthy individuals may only have minor aches, sniffles, and low grade fever. They will go to work, to the grocery, to church, and they will interact with both family and friends, and they will not realize that they are spreading the bug. 

23 hours ago, sheppy said:

If spring football practice is eliminated this spring, will Tennessee do what some states that don't have spring practice allow?  "X" number of days during the summer, June and early July, to have padded practices in lieu of spring practice and in addition to summer 7 v. 7.

Sheppy, I think this is exactly what you are going to see. The way things are looking, all sports are going to be put on hold for sometime. I believe TSSAA will allow schools to work a little more this coming summer.

16 hours ago, District12AA said:

Spring Football is overrated anyway. Would be a great time to eliminate it all together.

Exactly.  These kids don't need to practice in a controlled environment to learn proper tackling and blocking techniques needed to prevent injury.  Just let them learn on the fly during games.

4 hours ago, OldRebel2 said:

Exactly.  These kids don't need to practice in a controlled environment to learn proper tackling and blocking techniques needed to prevent injury.  Just let them learn on the fly during games.

That can be done in July. More and more teams are eliminating any type of contact during practice as we continue to make the game safer 

16 hours ago, District12AA said:

That can be done in July. More and more teams are eliminating any type of contact during practice as we continue to make the game safer 

There are too few padded practices in July already.  Most teams start in pads on a Monday and scrimmage that Friday. Since safety is such a concern, I think there should be more instruction, not less.  It doesn't have to be full contact, but more drills and instruction is needed to have the game safer.

Edited by OldRebel2

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 1:14 AM, Bellsburg2 said:

This is going to get worse before it gets better. Numbers will rise dramatically over the coming weeks, but I am hopeful that some of the actions in recent days will help to curtail that rise. Social media is not real life, but currently there are only two voices out there: "this is no big deal" guy and "we're all gonna die" guy. These generally represent the far wings of the political spectrum as well. I have no doubt he truth lies somewhere in between. People you know will be affected by this. If we can slow the spread enough to allow the number of severe cases to remain manageable, then we can keep the death rates low. I believe the sports and school restrictions will last longer than we would hope, but we will know for sure in about 2 weeks. To answer your original question: Regardless of the upcoming weeks' events, this thing will run its course well before fall football.

Just something to consider.... For every one person in the US who has died from corona there have been at least 300+ die from the flu.      Corona is bad, flu is bad, every death or illness is a bad thing.    But just wondering where is the 24/7 nonstop news media cackling about the flu, when it is killing at least 300 times as many people??     It couldn't be that the repeaters.... oops, I mean reporters, have an..... agenda??

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1