We see what happened to Basketball, could this spiral into Football Season?

BarneySox2007

16 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Just something to consider.... For every one person in the US who has died from corona there have been at least 300+ die from the flu.      Corona is bad, flu is bad, every death or illness is a bad thing.    But just wondering where is the 24/7 nonstop news media cackling about the flu, when it is killing at least 300 times as many people??     It couldn't be that the repeaters.... oops, I mean reporters, have an..... agenda??

If more people think like you our hospitals will see a crisis never before seen in this country where we don't have enough ICU beds to treat those in need. Do you want to be responsible then for who is getting treated and who just has to hope to pull through it? 

Yes the majority of people will be fine if they contract it however we do not need to needless spread a disease that is 30 times deadlier than the flu currently so that our healthcare systems are strained and do not have enough ventilators to serve people.

It is real ignorance to disregard the information that is out there. I don't know about you but I love my grandparents and elderly friends and do not want them to be put in a potentially deadly situation. I guess being pro-life stops after birth for some people.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A mass gathering of kids is a recipe for a disaster. A football locker room would be a happy environment for something like this, that's why their shutting down health spas. I would just about bet if a team decided to pull off a spring practice most of the parents wouldn't let their kids go out. I also see this going a lot farther down the road then most people think because most parents aren't going to let their kids be involved until their 110% double satisfied there are no dangers and to some that won't be enough. Do I think there will be a football season in 2020, yes I do but a very late start and maybe a 5 or 6 game schedule and I see a lot of parents not letting their kids go out this year. This may be hard for some to swallow but you wouldn't have believed me if I had told you 2 weeks ago to go get toilet paper.

• Upvote 1

On 3/18/2020 at 10:31 AM, BarneySox2007 said:

A mass gathering of kids is a recipe for a disaster. A football locker room would be a happy environment for something like this, that's why their shutting down health spas. I would just about bet if a team decided to pull off a spring practice most of the parents wouldn't let their kids go out. I also see this going a lot farther down the road then most people think because most parents aren't going to let their kids be involved until their 110% double satisfied there are no dangers and to some that won't be enough. Do I think there will be a football season in 2020, yes I do but a very late start and maybe a 5 or 6 game schedule and I see a lot of parents not letting their kids go out this year. This may be hard for some to swallow but you wouldn't have believed me if I had told you 2 weeks ago to go get toilet paper.

Barney, you must be out of touch.  Now days, the kid is the tail wagging the dog.  Parents don't decide stuff, the kid does.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, OldRebel2 said:

Barney, you must be out of touch.  Now days, the kid is the tail wagging the dog.  Parents don't decide stuff, the kid does.

I'm sure in one sense your right because you've seen enough over the years to write us a book. My biggest supply of info usually comes from a lot of the parents I know. Seems if you ask their more willing to tell you more than you really wanted to know sometimes. That's when you take this information to "The Barber Shop" and see what sticks to the wall or not.

On 3/14/2020 at 5:18 PM, orngnblk said:

I dont know if it's that big of a deal.Greenback no Spring practice 4 out last 5 years.4 Championship appearances.Heck we dont even hit in practice dont have enough bodies to sacrifice.Thats been going on for 4 years.Its all about preparation off the field as much as on.We all will be just fine.H1N1 was much more of a problem when Obama was acting like a President.We didnt even get excited,over 60,000 deaths with that one.The media is really riding this one.

Where did you get the number 60,000 from?  ive seen more like 12,000 when i looked it up.  Also, the fatality rate of this new virus is was worse than h1n1.   

The original question was could the virus continue to spread and delay or even cancel the 2020 high school football season in Tennessee and the answer is yes it could.  Now, how likely that is to happen is not very great.  I will say that high school football begins much to early and the calendar needs to be adjusted.  Having practice begin in July is much to early!  Begin practice this season on Monday August 10, 2020 and play the first game on August 28, 2020.  With the strength training programs that everyone has today and the amount of film that is being watched in the offseason three weeks is sufficient time to prepare for the first game.  Allow teams two (2) practice games with other teams or one practice game and one jamboree.  The real preparation is done with the strength/speed training and in the film room.  

• Upvote 1

On 3/18/2020 at 9:31 AM, BarneySox2007 said:

Very thoughtful and well stated.

On 3/18/2020 at 9:31 AM, BarneySox2007 said:

Good post