If We Go To 4 Classes? How's The Tourney Look?

NWhoopaholic

Since there’s nothing we can do about the present lets turn our attention to the future. The TSSAA is set to consider going to four classes in basketball and from all indications this has some serious traction. Would love to hear input on how the state tournament should be done. I’m going to throw out three options. If you have another idea put it out there.

#1 Basically the current schedule but would require 8 games Wed-Fri. Play 2 class of quarters the first two days, 8 semifinals on Friday, & 4 championships on Saturday. Downside:This would make for long days TSSAA staff.

#2 Use two different venues concurrently, for example A/AA one place & AAA/AAAA at another. One class would play Wednesday, other on Thursday, all semis on Friday, & championships on Saturday. Downside: Everyone would not be together but hopefully they’d be close enough people could attend both easily. Also double the staffing required.

#3 Add a “Super-Sectional” game pitting Sectional winners at a larger venue in each of the four sections of state and send only four teams to Murfreesboro in each class. Play four semifinals Wednesday & four Thursday. Two championships Friday & two Saturday. Downside: Fewer teams make "State."

Edited by NWhoopaholic

1 hour ago, NWhoopaholic said:

Since there’s nothing we can do about the present lets turn our attention to the future. The TSSAA is set to consider going to four classes in basketball and from all indications this has some serious traction. Would love to hear input on how the state tournament should be done. I’m going to throw out three options. If you have another idea put it out there.

#1 Basically the current schedule but would require 8 games Wed-Fri. Play 2 class of quarters the first two days, 8 semifinals on Friday, & 4 championships on Saturday. Downside:This would make for long days TSSAA staff.

#2 Use two different venues concurrently, for example A/AA one place & AAA/AAAA at another. One class would play Wednesday, other on Thursday, all semis on Friday, & championships on Saturday. Downside: Everyone would not be together but hopefully they’d be close enough people could attend both easily. Also double the staffing required.

#3 Add a “Super-Sectional” game pitting Sectional winners at a larger venue in each of the four sections of state and send only four teams to Murfreesboro in each class. Play four semifinals Wednesday & four Thursday. Two championships Friday & two Saturday. Downside: Fewer teams make "State."

I personally don’t like the idea of four classes. It has ruined HS football, IMO.

10 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

I personally don’t like the idea of four classes. It has ruined HS football, IMO.

Whether we like it or not there's a good chance it's coming. Would like to hear some opinions on the tournament format. TSSAA is set to look at options soon and whether they would be feasible.

I love the idea of a "super-sectional" at a larger venue. For instance:

West TN A super-sectional: UT-Martin OR Bethel University

West TN AA super-sectional: Union University OR Oman Arena

West TN AAA super-sectional: Elma Roane Fieldhouse OR Canale Arena (CBU home gym)

On 3/14/2020 at 2:55 PM, BigEdMo said:

There it is. Let’s add another one. Maybe everyone gets a trophy then.  Plz.  Suck it up and compete. Teach kids life lessons. Not make it easier for mommy and daddy to have a champion.  Tn sports is so watered down now it is ridiculous. 

Let's just go back to Large and Small . Allow students to play wherever they want with  recruiting legal. Now we only have four gold balls to give out with everyone happy. Or maybe two gold balls with no classifications. 

4 hours ago, rebelboy121 said:

lOOK AT THE way Alabama runs their tournament.  Makes way more money and the gym is full.

The only problem with that would teams from the same region and same district could not make it to state.  Only regional champions could get to final 4.  In single A 6 teams came from same region, so 3 of those would have no chance to get to the state (Gibson, Huntingdon, and Pickett).  It means that you'd have weaker teams in state finals. I would be a final 4 instead of 8 teams.   In Alabama, the girls basketball best are located Birmingham to the north.  Been their when the best were out of the tournament in regions.  

I personally hope they keep it like it is. Right now there is only 6 teams in our district and attendance is not what it used to be at all. There is only 6 teams in 13 AA. How is this going to improve basketball in TN by doing this? I don’t see it at all. Already have to many classes in football and attendance is down. Don’t understand the logic with this. What seems to be the problem now?

Edited by pioneer42