If We Go To 4 Classes? How's The Tourney Look?

NWhoopaholic

7 hours ago, ecu said:

Let's just go back to Large and Small . Allow students to play wherever they want with  recruiting legal. Now we only have four gold balls to give out with everyone happy. Or maybe two gold balls with no classifications. 

Now that’s life right there. Only the strong will survive. 

I really hope that we go to four classifications in basketball, baseball, and softball.  At Adamsville, Riverside, and Scotts Hill we went into AA classification by an average of 20 students at each school.  We are in a district with 8 schools.  Over half of our district's enrollment doubles our enrollment.  We have 520 kids competing against schools that have 850-1000 kids.  Our kids compete and play hard, we don't make excuses!!!!!!  However, the numbers matter!!!  Coaches at South Side, Chester, and Lexington have told us that its not right for us to be in a district with those lop-sided numbers.

Almost every state that touches the state of Tennessee has at least 5 classifications in every sport.  We shall see what happens.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Redrage4life said:

I really hope that we go to four classifications in basketball, baseball, and softball.  At Adamsville, Riverside, and Scotts Hill we went into AA classification by an average of 20 students at each school.  We are in a district with 8 schools.  Over half of our district's enrollment doubles our enrollment.  We have 520 kids competing against schools that have 850-1000 kids.  Our kids compete and play hard, we don't make excuses!!!!!!  However, the numbers matter!!!  Coaches at South Side, Chester, and Lexington have told us that its not right for us to be in a district with those lop-sided numbers.

Almost every state that touches the state of Tennessee has at least 5 classifications in every sport.  We shall see what happens.  

I'll have to agree. No one here wanted complain about being the smallest school in 2AA in the state because it always has to be someone, so our coaches and kids just gritted their teeth and went at it. The reality of it in our district/region though, is that there are three teams between 490/530 students competing against others who average double that... no "in between" schools with one to two hundred more, and several closer to three times our enrollment than double.

It's a hard pill to swallow watching our kids get walloped by state contenders in 2AA, when we would have had very respectable teams if we'd been classified with teams of our enrollment size. I'm not throwing a pity party, or angling to have an advantage over the truly small 1A schools... just hate for our kids to give the effort that they do, with little chance of success.

• Like 1

I wish we would go to 4 classes in all sports there are way too many in football.

4 classes in Division 1

2 in Division 2 (all private schools must play in D2)

Go back to districts then regions in football and play the same teams in all sports. Let rivalries be in all sports again.

Edited by Khall555

14 hours ago, Khall555 said:

I wish we would go to 4 classes in all sports there are way too many in football.

4 classes in Division 1

2 in Division 2 (all private schools must play in D2)

Go back to districts then regions in football and play the same teams in all sports. Let rivalries be in all sports again.

The last line has a lot of meaning. We've always played with schools to our west, but when football was reclassified and regions were redrawn, we were placed in region 5 with Riverside, Lewis County, Waverly, both Hickman teams, Clarksville Academy, and Loretto. Last realignment we were (are) in region 6, all still to our east... in all other sports, we are aligned in the same area as in the past, but bumped to AA, where only the other two small AA's are traditional rivalry games. The great thing is that most teams/communities that we now play are as well represented as our long time, traditional opponents. The bad thing is, we've had to forgo playing teams that we've faced uninterrupted (before recently) for decades. 

6 hours ago, tradertwo said:

The last line has a lot of meaning. We've always played with schools to our west, but when football was reclassified and regions were redrawn, we were placed in region 5 with Riverside, Lewis County, Waverly, both Hickman teams, Clarksville Academy, and Loretto. Last realignment we were (are) in region 6, all still to our east... in all other sports, we are aligned in the same area as in the past, but bumped to AA, where only the other two small AA's are traditional rivalry games. The great thing is that most teams/communities that we now play are as well represented as our long time, traditional opponents. The bad thing is, we've had to forgo playing teams that we've faced uninterrupted (before recently) for decades. 

In my projections based on last enrollment figures the school's you refer to would be in 14AA in a four-class system. They'd be joined by Madison & maybe Bolivar who could be on "the bubble." Rest of Region 7 would be Westview, Milan, Union City, Gibson Co., & Halls.

4 minutes ago, NWhoopaholic said:

In my projections based on last enrollment figures the school's you refer to would be in 14AA in a four-class system. They'd be joined by Madison & maybe Bolivar who could be on "the bubble." Rest of Region 7 would be Westview, Milan, Union City, Gibson Co., & Halls.

I'll gladly take that 10 team region over our current situation. I'd figure that the overall disparity in enrollments would be drastically closer than we have faced in the last cycle, and that's all that we'd ask. Not that it matters, but I think that we would be top two or three baseball/softball , and top five basketball. Our football program took a hit for a couple of years, but I think that we'll get back to where we were in a few seasons and could be competitive when we do. I think that I can include Adamsville and Riverside in this statement... all that we ask is a reasonable chance.

2 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

I'll gladly take that 10 team region over our current situation. I'd figure that the overall disparity in enrollments would be drastically closer than we have faced in the last cycle, and that's all that we'd ask. Not that it matters, but I think that we would be top two or three baseball/softball , and top five basketball. Our football program took a hit for a couple of years, but I think that we'll get back to where we were in a few seasons and could be competitive when we do. I think that I can include Adamsville and Riverside in this statement... all that we ask is a reasonable chance.

Other parts of the state might not be so happy but four class basketball would benefit several schools across West Tn. and could be very competitive if numbers hold true through this Fall.

6 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Cumberland Co Football Region opponents

Macon Co

Stone Memorial 

DeKalb Co

Livingston Academy 

Cumberland Co Basketball District opponents

Marion Co

Sequatchie Co

Grundy Co

Bledsoe Co

where is the rivalry? They don’t play one single team in both sports (they only play Stone in Basketball but it’s non-District since Stone is AAA) in meaningful games. 

Edited by Khall555

Coached in TN for 20+ years now in FL for 10+

You should look at Florida's High School system now. It is crazy and no one knows how it works. No more district regular season games and unapproved website ranks everyone in the their region classification. You have to get your own schedule, 25 games, Rankings are based on strength of schedule, and strength of schedule of your opponents, plus your record. We have 8 classifications in basketball. 1A is 600 students or less and a rural zip code. 8A made up of mostly schools in south FL. Privates and Public still together but mostly in 2A-4A. Schools can petition to play up or down depending on enrollment and area. It used to be top 2 made it out of district made playoffs, then region qtr., semi and final determined final four going to state. only 4 making it to Lakeland. Now in new system district tournament winners are guaranteed to make playoffs and the next 4 highest ranked by unapproved website makes it to region. One region game this year had Pensacola playing in Orlando for region semi-final game, same as Knoxville to Memphis distance.

Long story short at least you know what you are getting by TSSAA classes 3 or 4.

2 hours ago, amqc said:

Coached in TN for 20+ years now in FL for 10+

You should look at Florida's High School system now. It is crazy and no one knows how it works. No more district regular season games and unapproved website ranks everyone in the their region classification. You have to get your own schedule, 25 games, Rankings are based on strength of schedule, and strength of schedule of your opponents, plus your record. We have 8 classifications in basketball. 1A is 600 students or less and a rural zip code. 8A made up of mostly schools in south FL. Privates and Public still together but mostly in 2A-4A. Schools can petition to play up or down depending on enrollment and area. It used to be top 2 made it out of district made playoffs, then region qtr., semi and final determined final four going to state. only 4 making it to Lakeland. Now in new system district tournament winners are guaranteed to make playoffs and the next 4 highest ranked by unapproved website makes it to region. One region game this year had Pensacola playing in Orlando for region semi-final game, same as Knoxville to Memphis distance.

Long story short at least you know what you are getting by TSSAA classes 3 or 4.

The one problem with Florida is having the privates and public’s in the same class. Get rid of that then everything will be fine. See in Tennessee this year in football you had so many new teams in the playoffs and championships because the privates were gone.