If We Go To 4 Classes? How's The Tourney Look?

CoachD33

10 minutes ago, NWhoopaholic said:

Now that four classes are official and they voted to continue to send 8 teams to state tournament, I will resurrect this thread and see how you'd like to have it organized.

Didn’t Childress say in the meeting before today that the tournament would start on Monday if we had 4 classes and 8 teams??

Just now, pioneer42 said:

Didn’t Childress say in the meeting before today that the tournament would start on Monday if we had 4 classes and 8 teams??

I did not stream any of the meetings so I don't know. He originally said only four would come to the Boro but that changed today. You now have 28 games to play compared to 21. Starting on Monday would require alterations in current schedule since that Monday of girls is also boys sectional night & turn-around would be too quick from girls sectional on Saturday. Don't see the tourney being spread over six days but I guess they have some tentative plan.

Several years ago, when there was only one D-2 class, the tourney was held with four classes starting on Tuesday. I cannot remember how it was organized however. 

1 hour ago, NWhoopaholic said:

I did not stream any of the meetings so I don't know. He originally said only four would come to the Boro but that changed today. You now have 28 games to play compared to 21. Starting on Monday would require alterations in current schedule since that Monday of girls is also boys sectional night & turn-around would be too quick from girls sectional on Saturday. Don't see the tourney being spread over six days but I guess they have some tentative plan.

Several years ago, when there was only one D-2 class, the tourney was held with four classes starting on Tuesday. I cannot remember how it was organized however. 

I watched the last meeting and I could have swore Childress said Monday Night and I thought that it could start on Tuesday as well. We will see how things go. Hope and pray we can have a normal state tournament this year.

Now that it is four classifications in 8AA and 6A (2021-2022) there might be some changes. In 6A Jackson Co and Trousdale Co might go up to 2A. In 8AA Livingston and DeKalb Co could go up to 3A.  York has been talked about as possibly dropping to single A. They don't want them playing Clarkrange or Pickett Co. so they could go over with Sunbright, Coalfield, Oakdale etc...with Oneida and Wartburg going to 2A. York would dominate over there, so maybe they'd choose to remain in 2A. I'm very happy to see this long overdo change. In girls basketball Summertown, Loretto and Eagleville might go to 2A which would made the state easier for other 1A teams. I think Clarkrange would have beaten Greenfield by 8-10 and easily won the final had they finished the tournament. Both Clarkrange and Pickett Co will be even better this year and could meet in the state championship.

2 hours ago, bobcatfan300 said:

Now that it is four classifications in 8AA and 6A (2021-2022) there might be some changes. In 6A Jackson Co and Trousdale Co might go up to 2A. In 8AA Livingston and DeKalb Co could go up to 3A.  York has been talked about as possibly dropping to single A. They don't want them playing Clarkrange or Pickett Co. so they could go over with Sunbright, Coalfield, Oakdale etc...with Oneida and Wartburg going to 2A. York would dominate over there, so maybe they'd choose to remain in 2A. I'm very happy to see this long overdo change. In girls basketball Summertown, Loretto and Eagleville might go to 2A which would made the state easier for other 1A teams. I think Clarkrange would have beaten Greenfield by 8-10 and easily won the final had they finished the tournament. Both Clarkrange and Pickett Co will be even better this year and could meet in the state championship.

So you think Clarkrange would have beaten Greenfield, a team that was real close to being up by 30 in the first half a year ago against Clarkrange,  by 8-10 and would have easily beaten a Gibson County or Loretto. Clarkrange is very quick but also small. They would have had matchup problems with all three teams left. Loretto is very tall and nobody in the state had guarded Gibson County’s Madison Hart all year. She put up 22 against the big girl from Pickett County. Clarkrange is a good team and very quick and scores off of pressure with them best of them but I don’t agree with your statements at all especially about if they beat Greenfield they would have won the finals “easily.” You may want to put the bottle down a minute. 

11 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

So you think Clarkrange would have beaten Greenfield, a team that was real close to being up by 30 in the first half a year ago against Clarkrange,  by 8-10 and would have easily beaten a Gibson County or Loretto. Clarkrange is very quick but also small. They would have had matchup problems with all three teams left. Loretto is very tall and nobody in the state had guarded Gibson County’s Madison Hart all year. She put up 22 against the big girl from Pickett County. Clarkrange is a good team and very quick and scores off of pressure with them best of them but I don’t agree with your statements at all especially about if they beat Greenfield they would have won the finals “easily.” You may want to put the bottle down a minute. 

If I had to bet a house payment on who would win out of the 4 left, I would have hesitantly picked Clarkrange. That being said, I think arguments could be made for all 4 and it would probably boil down to who was hot shooting and who came up with the most loose balls. I think the last 3 games in single would’ve been 3 of the best all year regardless of class. I think these were the best 4 in A and the only other team with an argument would be summertown. 

1 hour ago, Richmond30 said:

If I had to bet a house payment on who would win out of the 4 left, I would have hesitantly picked Clarkrange. That being said, I think arguments could be made for all 4 and it would probably boil down to who was hot shooting and who came up with the most loose balls. I think the last 3 games in single would’ve been 3 of the best all year regardless of class. I think these were the best 4 in A and the only other team with an argument would be summertown. 

Greenfield was the favorite but I would say that it wouldn’t have surprised me if any of the other three would have won it. Clarkrange is a great team and has a great coach but they weren’t going to easily win any game up there.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/23/2020 at 12:10 AM, pioneer42 said:

A year ago is a year ago. Clarkrange's Monday twins easily stole the ball against taller opponents all year. No one won like they did in the first game. Gibson Co. won over a Pickett co. who had gone into a slump late in the season. Loretto and Greenfield were very unimpressive in their first round games.

55 minutes ago, bobcatfan300 said:

A year ago is a year ago. Clarkrange's Monday twins easily stole the ball against taller opponents all year. No one won like they did in the first game. Gibson Co. won over a Pickett co. who had gone into a slump late in the season. Loretto and Greenfield were very unimpressive in their first round games.

They are good players no doubt but what are you going to do when you play a team that handles the ball against them?? GC’s PG hadn’t hit the floor yet but she is a top notch ball handler and one of the best in the state. Clarkrange hadn’t got nobody that can guard our post either. They are a good team and are in my top two pre-season but get ready because it will be a war to win the Gold Ball I will promise you that.