If We Go To 4 Classes? How's The Tourney Look?

NWhoopaholic

4 hours ago, CoachAnderson said:

First off, I am in support of 4 classes for all sports, including football. All sports in same classifications will help with rivals remaining so. 

I have coached HS basketball since 2001 in A LOT of places (I’m active duty military): Puerto Rico, Washington State, Hawaii, North Carolina, Tennessee (at 2 HS’s, Beech and now Franklin) & in my opinion the state tournament process in North Carolina is the best.

Basketball season in NC looks a lot like the NCAA model and consists of:

1. Non District games

2. District games

3. District Tournament

4. 64 Team SINGLE ELIMINATION State Tournament. (Always thought that if you loose in the post season, your season should be over!) Higher seed hosts all the way through the Elite 8. Semi Finals at UNC-Charlotte and UNC-Greensboro and State title game is at Dean Dome the following weekend.

**Teams are required to enter games into M@x Pr3ps and their algorithm is used for ranking.

**Teams can eliminate 1 non-district loss from algorithm to encourage tough scheduling.

**District Tourney Champ get auto bid, each District get 3 guaranteed (makes consolation game VERY important).

**Remaining seeds set via unapproved website rankings

**Bracket is broken up East & West. Take furtherest East school and move westward until you have 32 schools for the East Bracket and remaining 32 schools are in West Bracket. The following year start furtherest west and move eastward. If one mid-state school has to go East and their in-district rival West, TOO BAD! 

I would be OK with four classes in all sports too if we could have same school's playing each other in ALL sports. Divide football-playing schools by four, then plug in non-football school's where their enrollment falls. As far as the NC model, I like some of it, dislike other parts. Don't think we'll see anything new develop that could potentially cut post-season revenue.

2 hours ago, Indian said:

It would be difficult to do basketball with power ranking, girls and boys teams at the same school may be much different in strength and except in tournaments would be playing doubleheaders. 

The ranking algorithm only comes into play for seeding the 64 team state tournament and has zero bearing on the scheduling of non-district and district games. 

Teams that are in a weak league will only get 3-4 teams in and teams that are in a strong district (Memphis, WilCo, etc) will get multiple teams in the State Tourney. In NC there’s usually 5-7 teams from the top districts in and around the Raleigh-Durham area in the post season, which is how it should be. You finish 5th in a tough district, you’re in but you’re on the road. 

Trying to explain the post season to the average sports fan should not be difficult and explaining & comprehending TN’s system of Districts, Regions, Sun-State and which games are and are not elimination games requires a PhD.

Bottom line, if you lose in the post season, you should be done!! No district runner up (or 3rd / 4th place game), and no region runner up trophy, WIN OR GO HOME! 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NWhoopaholic said:

I would be OK with four classes in all sports too if we could have same school's playing each other in ALL sports. Divide football-playing schools by four, then plug in non-football school's where their enrollment falls. As far as the NC model, I like some of it, dislike other parts. Don't think we'll see anything new develop that could potentially cut post-season revenue.

There would be 1 less game.

In Tennessee 10 games

District 11AAA Tournament  = 3 games, Region 6AAA = 3 games, SubState = 1 game, State Tournament = 3 games

In North Carolina 9 games:

MEC Conference Tournament = 3 games, Round of 64 = 1 game, 32 = 1 game, 16 = 1 game, 8 = 1 game, 4 = 1 game, ‘Ship = 1 game.

I don’t know the cost to use MTSU for 3 days,  but w/the NC model, the “Regional Championship” (State semi-finals, i.e. West Bracket & East Bracket finals) and the State Championship would be the only 3 games played at a non-HS venue. 

West Region Title = UT Martin(??) Bethel(??)

East Region Title = Tennessee Tech(??) UTC(??)

All Region Title games on a Sat and all state title games the following Saturday at MTSU. 

Coached in TN for 20+ years now in FL for 10+

You should look at Florida's High School system now. It is crazy and no one knows how it works. No more district regular season games and unapproved website ranks everyone in the their region classification. You have to get your own schedule, 25 games, Rankings are based on strength of schedule, and strength of schedule of your opponents, plus your record. We have 8 classifications in basketball. 1A is 600 students or less and a rural zip code. 8A made up of mostly schools in south FL. Privates and Public still together but mostly in 2A-4A. Schools can petition to play up or down depending on enrollment and area. It used to be top 2 made it out of district made playoffs, then region qtr., semi and final determined final four going to state. only 4 making it to Lakeland. Now in new system district tournament winners are guaranteed to make playoffs and the next 4 highest ranked by unapproved website makes it to region. One region game this year had Pensacola playing in Orlando for region semi-final game, same as Knoxville to Memphis distance.

Long story short at least you know what you are getting by TSSAA classes 3 or 4. No one will explain unapproved website system in FL

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/preps/story/2020/apr/25/tssaexecutive-director-lose-football-would-be/521547/

Interesting Read. 

To stick with the classification topic, article said;

“Last season 48 teams earned a playoff berth despite having losing records, including 10 with two or fewer wins...48 of the 96 first-round games in the six public-school classifications were decided by the state's 35-point mercy rule.” 

Also mentions with footballs declining revenue, it still brought in nearly 3x more than boys' basketball, which is the next-highest revenue-generating state tournament.

Nevertheless, 48 playoff teams with loosing records and 10 playoff teams with 2 or less wins is IMO an unacceptable playoff format. No wonder 50% of the games were decided by the 35-point mercy ruled. 

• 2 months later...

Regular season champ gets home court for district tourney. District tourney champ gets home court for region tourney. Region champ hosts sectional (sweet 16 game). Sectional winner gets super sectional home game in elite 8 if they were number 1 seed not tourney winner throughout district and regions. Etal a team goes undefeated wins district tourney, loses region title game goes away and wins sectional game (they would not host a supersectional due to region title loss. Only have final 4 at glass house

On 3/30/2020 at 12:01 AM, CoachAnderson said:

The ranking algorithm only comes into play for seeding the 64 team state tournament and has zero bearing on the scheduling of non-district and district games. 

Teams that are in a weak league will only get 3-4 teams in and teams that are in a strong district (Memphis, WilCo, etc) will get multiple teams in the State Tourney. In NC there’s usually 5-7 teams from the top districts in and around the Raleigh-Durham area in the post season, which is how it should be. You finish 5th in a tough district, you’re in but you’re on the road. 

Trying to explain the post season to the average sports fan should not be difficult and explaining & comprehending TN’s system of Districts, Regions, Sun-State and which games are and are not elimination games requires a PhD.

Bottom line, if you lose in the post season, you should be done!! No district runner up (or 3rd / 4th place game), and no region runner up trophy, WIN OR GO HOME! 

Lose in region championship u should still get a chance. Every team has a bad game and it makes for great upsets. I agree with no 3rd place game in district tourney. Base those seeds on record

• 1 month later...