If We Go To 4 Classes? How's The Tourney Look?

NWhoopaholic

22 hours ago, NWhoopaholic said:

Always thought Urban/Rural was best way to split but it must've never got very far. Don't think it's on the table this cycle but maybe next. Truly think basketball will be four classes next time. TSSAA will decide at June meeting.

I can’t remember who said it being that it was a few years ago but a poster on CoachT made a comment about the private schools and public’s making a complete split and he said the next thing we will here is rural and urban schools splitting. I told him he was wrong but Lord have mercy he was right, I owe that guy a drink lol

4 hours ago, QSouth89 said:

I can’t remember who said it being that it was a few years ago but a poster on CoachT made a comment about the private schools and public’s making a complete split and he said the next thing we will here is rural and urban schools splitting. I told him he was wrong but Lord have mercy he was right, I owe that guy a drink lol

I think that it was one of the TCA guys, and I remember it as well.

• Upvote 1

On 3/17/2020 at 7:25 PM, NWhoopaholic said:

Always thought Urban/Rural was best way to split but it must've never got very far. Don't think it's on the table this cycle but maybe next. Truly think basketball will be four classes next time. TSSAA will decide at June meeting.

Are you saying divide based on Urban/Rural Public Schools or are you saying place the private & public schools back together and then divide along the lines of Urban/Rural?

On 3/19/2020 at 12:45 PM, cbg said:

Are you saying divide based on Urban/Rural Public Schools or are you saying place the private & public schools back together and then divide along the lines of Urban/Rural?

I would've been for Urban/Rural split before Public/Private split. Probably won't happen now, not as practical with privates gone but still something to look at.

11 minutes ago, NWhoopaholic said:

I would've been for Urban/Rural split before Public/Private split. Probably won't happen now, not as practical with privates gone but still something to look at.

Based purely on population base in Tennessee and what most all other states currently do I would highly recommend the following:  (knowing that the screaming would begin immediately)

Football, Basketball, Baseball, Volleyball, Softball

* Public and private schools are back together

Class A:  Small rural schools and no private schools, magnet schools or charter schools

Class AA:  public schools, magnet schools, charter schools and small private schools that do not offer financial aid or work study

Class AAA: public schools, magnet schools, charter schools and private schools that do not offer financial aid or work study

Class AAAA:  public schools, magnet schools, charter schools and  private schools that offer financial aid but no work study or boarding schools

Class AAAAA:  public schools, magnet schools, charter schools, private schools that offer financial aid, work study and all boarding schools

All individual sports (tennis, golf, bowling, track & field, wrestling, swimming, etc...) would be in one classification.  There is absolutely no reason with the population base in Tennessee that individual sports should have multiple classifications.

On 3/19/2020 at 9:16 AM, Red Rebels said:

We'll just play over at Alcoeee's big gym instead of driving all the way to Johnson City.

I was giving an example. If an upper East Tennessee team was to host play it at ETSU. If a Knoxville Area team is hosting play at Alcoa or Farragut or South Doyle Middle, they have a huge gym. 

On 3/20/2020 at 3:53 PM, cbg said:

Based purely on population base in Tennessee and what most all other states currently do I would highly recommend the following:  (knowing that the screaming would begin immediately)

Football, Basketball, Baseball, Volleyball, Softball

* Public and private schools are back together

Class A:  Small rural schools and no private schools, magnet schools or charter schools

Class AA:  public schools, magnet schools, charter schools and small private schools that do not offer financial aid or work study

Class AAA: public schools, magnet schools, charter schools and private schools that do not offer financial aid or work study

Class AAAA:  public schools, magnet schools, charter schools and  private schools that offer financial aid but no work study or boarding schools

Class AAAAA:  public schools, magnet schools, charter schools, private schools that offer financial aid, work study and all boarding schools

All individual sports (tennis, golf, bowling, track & field, wrestling, swimming, etc...) would be in one classification.  There is absolutely no reason with the population base in Tennessee that individual sports should have multiple classifications.

Not a bad idea 

First off, I am in support of 4 classes for all sports, including football. All sports in same classifications will help with rivals remaining so. 

I have coached HS basketball since 2001 in A LOT of places (I’m active duty military): Puerto Rico, Washington State, Hawaii, North Carolina, Tennessee (at 2 HS’s, Beech and now Franklin) & in my opinion the state tournament process in North Carolina is the best.

Basketball season in NC looks a lot like the NCAA model and consists of:

1. Non District games

2. District games

3. District Tournament

4. 64 Team SINGLE ELIMINATION State Tournament. (Always thought that if you loose in the post season, your season should be over!) Higher seed hosts all the way through the Elite 8. Semi Finals at UNC-Charlotte and UNC-Greensboro and State title game is at Dean Dome the following weekend.

**Teams are required to enter games into M@x Pr3ps and their algorithm is used for ranking.

**Teams can eliminate 1 non-district loss from algorithm to encourage tough scheduling.

**District Tourney Champ get auto bid, each District get 3 guaranteed (makes consolation game VERY important).

**Remaining seeds set via unapproved website rankings

**Bracket is broken up East & West. Take furtherest East school and move westward until you have 32 schools for the East Bracket and remaining 32 schools are in West Bracket. The following year start furtherest west and move eastward. If one mid-state school has to go East and their in-district rival West, TOO BAD! 

Edited by CoachAnderson
Type Error
  • Like 1