TSSAA needs to give shared titles to teams

pioneer42

On 3/19/2020 at 9:04 PM, ReitzFan said:

36 teams left by my count and 12 gold balls

36 in boys. 12 in girls, since each class got down to the Final Four. Also there are only six gold balls left; two genders, three classes. 

It feels odd to get this close to a state title and then leave the title vacant for this season. These are incredibly rare circumstances, but I think something needs to be decided one way or another.

Regardless of what the TSSAA decides, you'll see some teams "claim" a state title this year. If the TSSAA doesn't do anything official, that will be what you see. A shared title is literally "everyone gets a trophy", but I'd almost rather see that then no one getting one at all. There isn't a good solution out there, unfortunately.

On 3/15/2020 at 8:50 PM, SJF said:

It’s over let it go. No gold or silver ball for anyone this year. Folks there are lots more important things out there. I think that there are more adults butt hurt by the tourney not finishing than the actual players. 

On 3/15/2020 at 9:30 PM, smalltownguy1966 said:

This thread is only about Greenfield and Gibson County, just some selfish people that would rather put their children's life at risk over a stupid trophy, it would be sad for someone from those two areas to catch Covid 19 and pass away because they where selfish and wanted to play a game to just make a point, you all are sad indeviduals and really should be a shamed of yourselves for thinking this way.

These reactions are like asking if I want to go to Red Lobster for dinner, and me to tell you that I don't like seafood. Then you respond with, "There are starving people in this world that would kill to eat at Red Lobster!" While that statement is true, it is a red herring. 

There are some people on this board that no doubt aren't treating this virus with the proper amount of respect, or through the proper viewpoint; but, most understand that high school sports are far from the most important thing going on (or not going on) in the world right now. People are dying, people are losing jobs/money, people are afraid and uncertain about the future. 

Just because high school sports, or sports in general, aren't the most important thing right now, doesn't mean that they aren't important at all. Having empathy for kids that won't get an opportunity to try and achieve a sports goal, and having empathy for people suffering through this virus in a variety of other ways, aren't mutually exclusive. Many of us either know what it is like to try and pursue a championship and the sacrifices that must be made, or know someone who has battled and sacrificed to pursue that dream. If you know any of these kids personally, or even if you don't, your heart goes out to them. 

Right now, everyone in this country is missing out on things because of this virus. For these high school seniors, many won't get to finish their sports careers the way they wanted, or go to prom, or possibly even get to walk across the stage at their graduation. I'm not someone that looks back at my high school years that fondly, but even I can recognize that missing out on those things would stink. 

I feel for the fathers that aren't able to witness their child being born, because hospitals are on lock-down in places. I feel for the college kids who are uncertain about if they'll be able to graduate on time. I feel for the people who have either lost their jobs, or see the writing on the wall that they will lose their business. I feel for the elderly who are locked in a nursing home and can't visit with their family. It is possible to feel a lot of things at once. This situation sucks; but we bare through, not because we want to, but because we have to.

If you don't think sports are relevant right now, then maybe you should consider not coming to a message board that is dedicated to sports for the time being. For some of us, it gives us an avenue to think and talk about stuff that is outside of this gloomy reality, for however brief. So please, take the righteous indignation elsewhere, while we try to be creative about this little state championship.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, reaction said:

Going to be a lot of UCF type celebrations if they don't get to finish the tournament. :popcorneater:

I am very proud of Gibson County making it as far as they could make it. I don’t know many schools that could lose 8 players since the 2018-2019 season and 6 of them that either started or played a lot last year and lost two more that would have played this year one of them would have likely started late in the year this year and do as well as they did. Coach Wilkins deserves Coach of the Year honors for that accomplishment, IMO. Very proud statewide the effort these players and coaches have put in year in and year out. Greenfield is a team we won’t to beat for sure, but I have thoroughly enjoyed watching these girls play ball the last few years as I have all the teams especially throughout the state. Basketball is alive and well in the state of TN and I hope and pray we get this thing under control. Gibson County will have a banquet at some point and honor these kids that have stepped up their games and didn’t quit while losing players and facing adversity. I as a Gibson County Fan and a basketball fan and a people person in general am living one day at a time and are hoping basketball played or not that we find a medicine to treat this virus so most of the infected can get well in their homes and not overrun the health care systems.

51 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

I am very proud of Gibson County making it as far as they could make it. I don’t know many schools that could lose 8 players since the 2018-2019 season and 6 of them that either started or played a lot last year and lost two more that would have played this year one of them would have likely started late in the year this year and do as well as they did. Coach Wilkins deserves Coach of the Year honors for that accomplishment, IMO. Very proud statewide the effort these players and coaches have put in year in and year out. Greenfield is a team we won’t to beat for sure, but I have thoroughly enjoyed watching these girls play ball the last few years as I have all the teams especially throughout the state. Basketball is alive and well in the state of TN and I hope and pray we get this thing under control. Gibson County will have a banquet at some point and honor these kids that have stepped up their games and didn’t quit while losing players and facing adversity. I as a Gibson County Fan and a basketball fan and a people person in general am living one day at a time and are hoping basketball played or not that we find a medicine to treat this virus so most of the infected can get well in their homes and not overrun the health care systems.

Trust me I'm hoping the games can be played. Personally, I am more involved with fall/spring sports, but holding out hope that they can get everything in for the seniors. Even if we go straight into the tournament, at least they get to go out on there own terms.  As far as the title of the thread, I don't think they should give out a bunch of trophies to everyone because they couldn't finish the tournament. 

27 minutes ago, reaction said:

Trust me I'm hoping the games can be played. Personally, I am more involved with fall/spring sports, but holding out hope that they can get everything in for the seniors. Even if we go straight into the tournament, at least they get to go out on there own terms.  As far as the title of the thread, I don't think they should give out a bunch of trophies to everyone because they couldn't finish the tournament. 

Personally we were all infected and exposed for two days and cancelled in the middle. I didn’t agree with that but I do imagine the TSSAA had a lot of pressure. Going straight into the tournament coaches won’t agree to that. No way any coach will won’t to go straight into the tournament after their kids have been in the house for at least 6 weeks. Gibson County is at home. No facilities to even shoot in. The only thing I did agree on out of the postponement was we didn’t have to tell our fans they couldn’t come. I will always be against playing any game without fans. These girls would need minimum 2 weeks practice possibly 3 before playing without risk of serious injury. A lot has changed since we left almost two weeks ago. We will see how the next few weeks unfolds. 

20 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Personally we were all infected and exposed for two days and cancelled in the middle. I didn’t agree with that but I do imagine the TSSAA had a lot of pressure. Going straight into the tournament coaches won’t agree to that. No way any coach will won’t to go straight into the tournament after their kids have been in the house for at least 6 weeks. Gibson County is at home. No facilities to even shoot in. The only thing I did agree on out of the postponement was we didn’t have to tell our fans they couldn’t come. I will always be against playing any game without fans. These girls would need minimum 2 weeks practice possibly 3 before playing without risk of serious injury. A lot has changed since we left almost two weeks ago. We will see how the next few weeks unfolds. 

For you guys it will be different since your already in the state tournament. IF things start back up, I think we would just play district games then go into a modified post season. Who knows though. 

21 hours ago, reaction said:

For you guys it will be different since your already in the state tournament. IF things start back up, I think we would just play district games then go into a modified post season. Who knows though. 

At this point you never know what will happen. Got to pray for a breakthrough medicine.