TSSAA needs to give shared titles to teams

pioneer42

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

Then you will not get a trophy period because they are not going to play these games. I hope I am wrong but I have done talked to some people in the know and it is not good. GC are the reigning champs and will defend that title for another year, I don’t particularly like shared championships either but at least your team is recognized for still being in it and not getting knocked out. Got a feeling y’all better start trophy hunting because they are not playing these games.

I'm not sure what needs to be done. All final 4 teams get a trophy similar to the Gold ball that shows "final 4"??? Or each of the 12 teams left get a Gold Ball? On the other hand Greenfieldfan has a point.  They are undefeated and would have a good chance to win it all ( they obviously are the favorites). So why should they have to share anything since they worked for it? Not saying other teams didn't put in the work, because I know they did. For sure GC.. I cant really think of a scenario that would suit everyone.  They do need to do something though for the teams left.  I'm glad I dont have to make the decision. They did beat us twice and Loretto once. What to do about Clarkrange?  Did they play during the summer? FYI...Just found out Nashville is either closing bars and restaurants or limiting attendance.

Edited by gcfan2

21 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Macon County has a great tradition. I seen all three of your silver balls. McMinn Central game, CPA game and Upperman game. Upperman game had to hurt the most. Coach not getting a technical for Upperman at the end might have been the worse call at the state ever after Levy got called for a foul at the buzzer.

If you ever get a chance go to a game in Lafayette and check out the Nera White trophy case her family donated some of her memorabilia including her MVP trophy from the world championships. 

To me the CPA game was worse as they basically got caught recruiting and moved to division II and the Tigerettes had already beaten them in the Regionals plus there were a lot of missed and bad calls in that game as CPA was trying to foul late. Upperman and McMinn were better teams and losing to them was expected. 

The Levy foul was a bad call IMO but certainly the coach should have gotten a technical for all those antics plus Abby Shoulders was distracted and missed 2 free throws and it devastated her. She blamed herself for that loss and I was hoping she would get to redeem herself this season. 

These girls raised over $10000 to help the Upperman players that lost their homes in the tornado in 3 days. That’s doing the right thing for a rival and the last time they played them they hugged the players before the game and the Macon cheerleaders and fans wore shirts supporting Upperman. 

Edited by Khall555

4 minutes ago, gcfan2 said:

I'm not sure what needs to be done. All final 4 teams get a trophy similar to the Gold ball that shows "final 4"??? Or each of the 12 teams left get a Gold Ball? On the other hand Greenfieldfan has a point.  They are undefeated and would have a good chance to win it all ( they obviously are the favorites). So why should they have to share anything since they worked for it? Not saying other teams didn't put in the work, because I know they did. For sure GC.. I cant really think of a scenario that would suit everyone.  They do need to do something though for the teams left.  I'm glad I dont have to make the decision. They did beat us twice and Loretto once. What to do about Clarkrange?  Did they play during the summer? FYI...Just found out Nashville is either closing bars and restaurants or limiting attendance.

At this point there are 12 teams who are left who are still alive.  Just ate lunch at Outback Steakhouse in Jackson, TN and they think they will be closed this week. Bad deal to have a meeting Tuesday with all the closings...etc. Should have played it because most of the fans would be repeat fans and we were already exposed. That is my argument!! Best case scenario is that it’s not cancelled totally and gets revisited April 15th as hotter weather sets in, IMO. Coaches will have to be very vocal, IMO to get that done.

4 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

At this point there are 12 teams who are left who are still alive.  Just ate lunch at Outback Steakhouse in Jackson, TN and they think they will be closed this week. Bad deal to have a meeting Tuesday with all the closings...etc. Should have played it because most of the fans would be repeat fans and we were already exposed. That is my argument!! Best case scenario is that it’s not cancelled totally and gets revisited April 15th as hotter weather sets in, IMO. Coaches will have to be very vocal, IMO to get that done.

All the head coaches of state teams, both girls and  boys, should get together as one and make a pitch to TSSAA to have the state basketball tournament in April or May at a neutral site.   Give each team 2 weeks to prepare.

8 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Walmart is closing from 11pm to 6am to clean and restock. 

7 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Think it was silly to play the D-2 Tournament last weekend. Don’t come in this thread like you did all your D-2 threads looking for a fight, because I will take you up on it. You always bringing it on the internet. 

Dude, I honestly don't think that any of the games should be postponed or cancelled. I still personally think that this virus situation is overblown and mainly stirred up by liberal media and liberal politicians. As a competitor myself, I can understand the frustration felt by all of the teams and fan bases still alive.

You are missing my point. Sports teach lessons in life. Sometimes they teach the lessons that you don't want to learn. Sadly, the lesson being taught right now is that life can sometimes be hard and very unfair.

It is my hope that the tournament will be restarted in a couple of weeks. Like you, I just don't think that will happen though and everyone is just going to have to accept that fact. At this point, all that you can do is continue to practice until final word is given from the TSSAA. 

You may not believe it but I do actually feel bad for GC, Greenfield, and all of the other teams that are left hanging. What I do know for sure is that handing out co-state championship trophies is not the answer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gogold said:

All the head coaches of state teams, both girls and  boys, should get together as one and make a pitch to TSSAA to have the state basketball tournament in April or May at a neutral site.   Give each team 2 weeks to prepare.

I don’t know if that’s feasible since teams change with a lay-off if some of these teams have to wait until May they could get rusty have unexpected  injuries etc..

6 minutes ago, ReitzFan said:

Dude, I honestly don't think that any of the games should be postponed or cancelled. I still personally think that this virus situation is overblown and mainly stirred up by liberal media and liberal politicians. As a competitor myself, I can understand the frustration felt by all of the teams and fan bases still alive.

You are missing my point. Sports teach lessons in life. Sometimes they teach the lessons that you don't want to learn. Sadly, the lesson being taught right now is that life can sometimes be hard and very unfair.

It is my hope that the tournament will be restarted in a couple of weeks. Like you, I just don't think that will happen though and everyone is just going to have to accept that fact. At this point, all that you can do is continue to practice until final word is given from the TSSAA. 

You may not believe it but I do actually feel bad for GC, Greenfield, and all of the other teams that are left hanging. What I do know for sure is that handing out co-state championship trophies is not the answer.

Hopefully the coaches will go in the meeting vocal and stand together to get these games played at some point. But I don’t see it. I just don’t see these teams that are still left in the Final Four to be totally ignored as an option, personally. You have your opinion and that is fine. But I think these teams ought to be recognized if they don’t play.