No Cancellation

mas1821

2 hours ago, ecu said:

Most counties in TN still have no reported cases so why wouldn't they go back in these places. Not saying you're not right, but I want to see what we do after the 15 day period the President has asked Americans to do social distancing. Last week I was probably thinking more like you, but I am a bit more optimistic things will turn around soon. Hope everyone will stay in as much as possible.

Going to be interesting to see what happens. I am starting to have doubts myself now that cases have increased but you never know. I am in favor of no sporting event as long as fans are not allowed. If it is too dangerous for fans to be there, it is too dangerous for players and coaches, IMO. It bothered everyone when they were going to ban fans to finish the tournammet.

4 hours ago, ecu said:

Most counties in TN still have no reported cases so why wouldn't they go back in these places. Not saying you're not right, but I want to see what we do after the 15 day period the President has asked Americans to do social distancing. Last week I was probably thinking more like you, but I am a bit more optimistic things will turn around soon. Hope everyone will stay in as much as possible.

We are in different camps in our way of thinking, I'm an optimist by nature, but a realist too... I was not in favor of dismissing when we did, as there were two confirmed cases west of Nashville, both in Shelby County. I thought that we should have kept schools open until there was an imminent threat in our area. At the present (one week later), there are confirmed cases in every county we share a border with save one. I think that we may just be in the beginning stages here in West Tn., and that it will take time for the situation to improve.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tradertwo said:

We are in different camps in our way of thinking, I'm an optimist by nature, but a realist too... I was not in favor of dismissing when we did, as there were two confirmed cases west of Nashville, both in Shelby County. I thought that we should have kept schools open until there was an imminent threat in our area. At the present (one week later), there are confirmed cases in every county we share a border with save one. I think that we may just be in the beginning stages here in West Tn., and that it will take time for the situation to improve.

By last count only 32 counties in TN had any cases of virus which means 60+ had none. Let's pray we come out of this with few deaths here and throughout the world.

• Like 1

Tradertwo and ECU,

Both of you demonstrate an ability to make sense under a situation that is very emotionally confusing. I thank you for your comments. I wish I could join in the discussion with my own opinions but I posted in another thread I would keep my original thoughts to myself. I only posted because you two deserve positive feedback.

On 3/21/2020 at 7:47 PM, ecu said:

By last count only 32 counties in TN had any cases of virus which means 60+ had none. Let's pray we come out of this with few deaths here and throughout the world.

As of yesterday afternoon it was up to 42 counties, and we are up to over 600 cases statewide. TN ranks in the top half of states in per capita cases (somewhere in the 18th-19th range, depending on the exact number of cases). In other states where the virus isn't growing at an alarming rate (KY being one of those), you'd contemplate going back. However, part of the reason places like that have lower numbers is because they've been more proactive about staying home and social distancing.

Now that schools are out, I know many districts are planning as if they won't be able to come back to school at all. This doesn't mean they won't come back, but steps are being taken with that being the likely case. 

When they postponed the tournament a few weeks ago, I was very vocal saying they should have just gone ahead an played it out. I still stand by that. However, with the developments of the last week or so, I don't feel optimistic about the trajectory of the virus. It was easy when no one around had it, to believe that your school wouldn't be effected. Now, if I was a superintendent, I'd be leery of bringing kids and teachers back. No one wants to be the district who has someone catch this thing, much less have someone die from it. While most kids are healthy, there are a number of "at-risk" kids and teachers who are extra vulnerable, and need to be protected. 

All this being said, they might come back and try and storm ahead. Betting money right now would say they are done for the year, which means sports will be done for the year.

It really is conflicting what should be done. Many want to criticize our leaders but how many want to deal with the pressure they under. Older teachers would be the biggest concern for schools. I don’t see how Tennessee schools can go back with numbers still rising. It is ok to wait but at some point we need to have a date where we cancel spring sports. Hope everyone will stay in so we can get through this difficult time.

1 hour ago, WillieTheWildcats said:

Tradertwo and ECU,

Both of you demonstrate an ability to make sense under a situation that is very emotionally confusing. I thank you for your comments. I wish I could join in the discussion with my own opinions but I posted in another thread I would keep my original thoughts to myself. I only posted because you two deserve positive feedback.

I understand a man (or woman) staying true to their word Willie, but as much and as fast as situations are changing daily, a little discussion is a good thing among friends. We all have opinions, we are all partially right and wrong, and I for one am apprehensive about how different our little corner of the world will forever be from how it was before. I'd love to hear your opinion on all these matters.

18 minutes ago, ecu said:

It really is conflicting what should be done. Many want to criticize our leaders but how many want to deal with the pressure they under. Older teachers would be the biggest concern for schools. I don’t see how Tennessee schools can go back with numbers still rising. It is ok to wait but at some point we need to have a date where we cancel spring sports. Hope everyone will stay in so we can get through this difficult time.

There are also younger teachers that have health issues as well. 

I agree with you that there needs to be a plan that is laid out as "make or break". If I was the TSSAA, I'd come out and say what the plan is and when the cutoff date is to make a decision. They should have a contingency plan made already. If everyone knows what the deal is, we can mentally prepare ourselves better. 

There would be a lot of issues with trying to start the season back up at this point, considering most of these kids can't practice and likely aren't staying in game shape. @pioneer42 mentioned some of those earlier in this thread I believe, although it might have been in another. 

Regardless, I hope that this thing clears up soon enough that we can have that debate of whether or not to play these things. Would much rather have to decide what to do then for the virus to decide for us.

56 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

There are also younger teachers that have health issues as well. 

I agree with you that there needs to be a plan that is laid out as "make or break". If I was the TSSAA, I'd come out and say what the plan is and when the cutoff date is to make a decision. They should have a contingency plan made already. If everyone knows what the deal is, we can mentally prepare ourselves better. 

There would be a lot of issues with trying to start the season back up at this point, considering most of these kids can't practice and likely aren't staying in game shape. @pioneer42 mentioned some of those earlier in this thread I believe, although it might have been in another. 

Regardless, I hope that this thing clears up soon enough that we can have that debate of whether or not to play these things. Would much rather have to decide what to do then for the virus to decide for us.

Can’t use school facilities. TSSAA said players couldn’t practice. Now players may be doing some stuff on their own running and in back yards. But we are instructed to stay home like every body else. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out. Getting close to getting in the 2020-2021 season’s AAU and spring basketball. Really feel terrible for the baseball and softball players as their season never got started and is in major jeopardy as well as proms and graduations.  Hope and pray the tide changes soon.

6 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Can’t use school facilities. TSSAA said players couldn’t practice. Now players may be doing some stuff on their own running and in back yards. But we are instructed to stay home like every body else. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out. Getting close to getting in the 2020-2021 season’s AAU and spring basketball. Really feel terrible for the baseball and softball players as their season never got started and is in major jeopardy as well as proms and graduations.  Hope and pray the tide changes soon.

All very good points. We aren’t going to know much until the 15 day period is over. If that is extended another 15 days, it would make it nearly impossible to do spring sports. Like you said TSSAA needs to give a set date for everyone. Clarksville has already pushed their return date to 5-1. How do you handle all the different dates schools will return. Very complicated!

30 minutes ago, ecu said:

All very good points. We aren’t going to know much until the 15 day period is over. If that is extended another 15 days, it would make it nearly impossible to do spring sports. Like you said TSSAA needs to give a set date for everyone. Clarksville has already pushed their return date to 5-1. How do you handle all the different dates schools will return. Very complicated!

TSSAA is just doing what we are doing and living one day at a time. None of us know when things will get back to normal. What would be great is if a medication could treat this and so the virus won’t boggle up the health care system so things could get back to normal quicker. The 15 day period ends I think Sunday or Monday right? I would bet that schools will be closed until the middle of April at least. 

Edited by pioneer42

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

During track, spring break always fell during the middle of our season. We would stay in town and practice, but people that traveled were always told to run on their own because that week of no activity would lose a majority of their conditioning. You could always tell after spring break who had run and who had not. 

Basketball is a bit harder, because just going and running a couple of miles doesn't work the same muscle groups as basketball and it doesn't simulate the anaerobic nature of the sport. Even if these kids have been doing some stuff on their own, they are going to need a couple of weeks to even been remotely prepared to physically compete at a state championship level. I don't think it will be as simple as everyone getting back to school and then just going out and playing. Players will really need some sort of tune-up. I wonder if the TSSAA would allow tournament teams to scrimmage some non-tournament teams to help get back in shape? 

There are a lot of questions that will need to be answered if we get to see a tournament played. At this point, I think it is moot, because I don't expect them to get approval to play.