Any Coaches.......

Lost Old Dad

Staying in touch with their players?

How about calling them to let them know they are still considered part of a TEAM!  While they have to remain isolated there is things they could be doing.  How about lifting weights?  Does not have to be commercial weights.  It can be something as simple as say 500 reps of lifting a gallon of water in one of those empty bleach bottles.

How about a one or two mile run a day.  How about a second one with your school backpack with a few books or a 25 pound bag of sand or dirt in it?

Thing is there IS things players and Coaches can be doing during this time besides sitting on their......ah........tails and watching re-run after re-runs of Harry Potter!

Coaches even if you haven't called your players, have you even talked to your staff?!?!

Success comes from prior planning and hard work NOW!

Got an email that TSSAA has stated that only Spring Sports teams can utilize ZOOM meetings. All other sports are violating the rules if they host a ZOOM meeting. What are they possibly trying to prevent? These kids need to see each other and laugh with each other. I think it’s an extreme measure and a decision that hurts the kids. Maybe I’m too naive in thinking the meetings are harmless. These are crazy times and ZOOM is a great platform for these kids to see each other on a computer screen and communicate with each other. And Heaven forbid they get a chance to cut up and laugh a little along the way. Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2020 at 9:00 AM, gcapride said:

Got an email that TSSAA has stated that only Spring Sports teams can utilize ZOOM meetings. All other sports are violating the rules if they host a ZOOM meeting. What are they possibly trying to prevent? These kids need to see each other and laugh with each other. I think it’s an extreme measure and a decision that hurts the kids. Maybe I’m too naive in thinking the meetings are harmless. These are crazy times and ZOOM is a great platform for these kids to see each other on a computer screen and communicate with each other. And Heaven forbid they get a chance to cut up and laugh a little along the way. Thoughts?

the braintrust......or shall Booger say the lack of Braintrust of T$$AA.....r inept at bein able to think outside the box...they r a small picture bunch....the annual flu season has got everyone backed up in a corner

Booger just sayin :shock:

• Upvote 1

Our kids got weekly work out schedules when this whole thing started. Health class is integrated with strength and conditioning at our school, allowing the coaches to keep an eye on checking the boxes.

Got an email today that the team will have a zoom meeting on April 22 when spring ball was supposed to start, to determine a path forward through the summer.

• 1 month later...

The TSSAA has shown complete lack of leadership with COVID19.  IMO, it's really not fair for some schools to already be in the middle of Summer workout when other school districts are closed.  The smart and equitable thing to do would have been to do away with the dead period but not allow teams to begin summer workouts until July 6, 2020 which is the first Monday in July.  I would also seriously consider not allowing the first practice in pads until August 10, 2020 with the first game being August 28, 2020.  The TSSAA has done nothing more that pass the buck by basically allowing each school district to do their own thing.  I realize that my plan would not be popular but it's really not fair for some teams to be working out for a full month or more before some of the competition is allowed to workout.  

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, cbg said:

The TSSAA has shown complete lack of leadership with COVID19.  IMO, it's really not fair for some schools to already be in the middle of Summer workout when other school districts are closed.  The smart and equitable thing to do would have been to do away with the dead period but not allow teams to begin summer workouts until July 6, 2020 which is the first Monday in July.  I would also seriously consider not allowing the first practice in pads until August 10, 2020 with the first game being August 28, 2020.  The TSSAA has done nothing more that pass the buck by basically allowing each school district to do their own thing.  I realize that my plan would not be popular but it's really not fair for some teams to be working out for a full month or more before some of the competition is allowed to workout.  

Nothing is fair. I am not sure it is TSSAA's job to tell schools or counties what to do. I do like your idea of doing away with dead period and starting back July 6. For football I think this is when it should start every year not just this one.