The Tentative Plan

SportsWestTN

Article came out from the Tennessean last night that lays out the current plan the TSSAA has. Link is posted below, it is behind a pay wall:

https://www.jacksonsun.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/03/30/tssaa-schedule-state-basketball-tournaments-spring-fling/2933620001/

To lay out what was written:

• Current plan is contingent on kids going back to school April 27th (once Gov. Lee's current mandate expires)
    • Basketball gets three weeks of practice before championship. Championships played week of May 18th. 
    • Spring sports could resume as early as April 27th, if coach thinks team is ready to go. Spring Fling pushed back three weeks to June 9-12th. 

Article says that if Gov. Lee shuts down schools for the year, that would officially put an end to the 2019-20 sports year. The TSSAA hasn't received back word on whether or not these dates will work with MTSU and are awaiting word. They are working with the Rutherford Co. CoC to make sure hotels would be available. 

No decisions have been made regarding dead-period and fall sports. We would likely get any decisions regarding those in June after the Board of Control meets. 

• Like 1

My opinion:

I am glad the TSSAA has laid out what the plan is moving forward. I think kids and coaches needed to know so they can tentatively plan accordingly. I'm also glad that the TSSAA hasn't thrown out the idea of having these championships and is working to try and make them happen.

That being said, I don't expect any of this to come about. Talking with people in education, it sounds like the working theory is that the school year is over. This is obviously contingent on how the virus continues to go, but there isn't much optimism that schools will go back. 

The plan itself isn't too bad. As discussed in other forums, basketball certainly needs time to get back in rhythm and shape. The minimum amount of time needed, in my opinion, is two weeks, so three weeks seems like a good plan. Spring Fling being pushed back three weeks doesn't seem like too big of an issue either. The worst part of pushing it back into June will be the heat. When you move into June, you start to have heat index issues that could potentially delay a lot of games. Regardless, the plan is to have everything done before dead-period. 

As far as basketball is concerned, we still won't get to see these teams at their best. Three weeks is enough to help get these kids' legs back under them, but we won't be seeing the same level of basketball we saw back in March. 

This plan does appear to provide the opportunity for athletes that do basketball and a spring sport the opportunity to compete in both. Not sure how spring postseasons would line up with the proposed championship, but there is the possibility they could play in both.

As mentioned above, I don't think we will see either of these happen, but I don't have a problem with the plan that they've laid out. If I'm an athlete, I now know what could be the potential plan and can be working on my own to make sure I'm prepared if those plans come to fruition. 

President Trump recommended maintaining social distancing until the end of April. This will most probably ends the school year for good.  I really do appreciate the TSSAA efforts to make it happen though.  I am also incredibly sorry for the young people that had to miss out on this season.

58 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

My opinion:

I am glad the TSSAA has laid out what the plan is moving forward. I think kids and coaches needed to know so they can tentatively plan accordingly. I'm also glad that the TSSAA hasn't thrown out the idea of having these championships and is working to try and make them happen.

That being said, I don't expect any of this to come about. Talking with people in education, it sounds like the working theory is that the school year is over. This is obviously contingent on how the virus continues to go, but there isn't much optimism that schools will go back. 

The plan itself isn't too bad. As discussed in other forums, basketball certainly needs time to get back in rhythm and shape. The minimum amount of time needed, in my opinion, is two weeks, so three weeks seems like a good plan. Spring Fling being pushed back three weeks doesn't seem like too big of an issue either. The worst part of pushing it back into June will be the heat. When you move into June, you start to have heat index issues that could potentially delay a lot of games. Regardless, the plan is to have everything done before dead-period. 

As far as basketball is concerned, we still won't get to see these teams at their best. Three weeks is enough to help get these kids' legs back under them, but we won't be seeing the same level of basketball we saw back in March. 

This plan does appear to provide the opportunity for athletes that do basketball and a spring sport the opportunity to compete in both. Not sure how spring postseasons would line up with the proposed championship, but there is the possibility they could play in both.

As mentioned above, I don't think we will see either of these happen, but I don't have a problem with the plan that they've laid out. If I'm an athlete, I now know what could be the potential plan and can be working on my own to make sure I'm prepared if those plans come to fruition. 

I commend them for having a plan. Never know what will happen. We might have a miracle medicine readily available soon. Never know. Do think the TSSAA will have to adjust rules accordingly for this year at least when it comes to practice times, dead periods and so on. Just like college football and HS football are missing all of spring practice as basketball and others might miss a lot of their off-season workouts and practices. But again, I commend them for having a plan. Do think we need a medical breakthrough for things to slow down. I do know this. If all of the players shut it down and decided it was over, they would end up playing because that is the way things work. So for all of the comments that “it is over”and “your dumb for thinking they will play” obviously don’t have players in their family that are experiencing this. I would agree with the posters that chances don’t look good for sure, but as a family member of a player we have to assume we are playing to have them somewhat conditioned.

Edited by pioneer42

This plan doesn't make any sense from a safety perspective for spring sports. You are going to make basketball have 3 weeks of practice before the play, yet spring sport get to start right up. No way player's arms are conditioning to be playing after almost 7 plus weeks off.

If player safety is the number 1 priority of adults making these decisions, as it should be, then spring sports need an acclimation period as well.

Like a previous poster stated President Trump has extended the social distancing guidelines to April 30th. That leaves 3 weeks of school left in most of Tennessee. It is not worth the risk of these districts to go back to school. TSSAA is becoming that girl that leads you on until that one day she says I just want to be friends.

7 minutes ago, District12AA said:

This plan doesn't make any sense from a safety perspective for spring sports. You are going to make basketball have 3 weeks of practice before the play, yet spring sport get to start right up. No way player's arms are conditioning to be playing after almost 7 plus weeks off.

If player safety is the number 1 priority of adults making these decisions, as it should be, then spring sports need an acclimation period as well.

Like a previous poster stated President Trump has extended the social distancing guidelines to April 30th. That leaves 3 weeks of school left in most of Tennessee. It is not worth the risk of these districts to go back to school. TSSAA is becoming that girl that leads you on until that one day she says I just want to be friends.

The social distancing extension has ended schools for this year especially with Tennessee being called out by many for not doing enough to enforce these policies. Look for Bill Lee to shut schools down in next week.

12 minutes ago, District12AA said:

Said if coach thinks they are ready to go. If Spring Fling isn’t going to happen until middle of June, they could start playing middle of May. All of this is wishful thinking of course. None of this stuff will probably matter if school closes for the year.

28 minutes ago, District12AA said:

As stated, I agree that schools won't be going back, so I think the conversation as a whole is moot. However, since there is nothing else going on in the world of sports, it is something to talk about. 

To clarify, spring sports wouldn't be required to start right away, but they could begin once coaches felt like their kids were ready to play. As noted on other things, the TSSAA doesn't get involved with the regular season play, just postseason. Some sports would likely benefit from a reconditioning period. However, some sports are less reliant on game play for conditioning. Track, for instance, is just about running. Athletes could have been practicing on their own during this time period and be ready to run in meets once the go ahead is given.

For sports like softball and baseball, you definitely wouldn't want to send a kid out to pitch seven innings cold. However, some of these kids could be throwing on their own during this break. I don't mind them allowing schools to take this as their own coaching staffs see fit. If I'm a team and I know my kids haven't been able to do anything over the break, I wouldn't want to rush into anything. However, if I know my kids have been working on their own, I might want to go ahead and get into competition to get ready for a postseason run. 

19 minutes ago, ecu said:

The social distancing extension has ended schools for this year especially with Tennessee being called out by many for not doing enough to enforce these policies. Look for Bill Lee to shut schools down in next week.

We will see. I wouldn’t bet on him closing school for the year just yet. Bet by April 15th we will know how school will go. Good to know though that we at least have a little to go by where the TSSAA said if schools close for the year it is over. 

3 hours ago, ecu said:

Gov. Lee hasn't seemed anxious to take strong actions. People have been calling the state out for a while and I haven't seen them ratchet up the intensity. I expect it will be a few weeks before he makes a decision about extending the school shut down. 

Also a note: According to the law, as I understand it, the state can't shut down schools. They can only recommend that they shut down. Even after this most recent order by the governor, there were a number of districts that were exploring/contemplating coming back to school. Wiser heads prevailed, but don't be surprised if a district or two decides to try and go back even if there is a recommendation made to end the school year. Not that it would have any bearing on sports, but just a note. 

Edited by SportsWestTN
Corrected misspelling

33 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

Gov. Lee hasn't seemed anxious to take strong actions. People have been calling the state out for a while and I haven't seen them ratchet up the intensity. I expect it will be a few weeks before he makes a decision about extending the school shut down. 

Also a note: According to the law, as I understand it, the state can't shut down schools. They can only recommend that they shut down. Even after this most recent order by the governor, there were a number of districts that were exploring/contemplating coming back to school. Wiser heads prevailed, but don't be surprised if a district or two decides to try and go back even if there is a recommendation made to end the school year. Not that it would have any barring on sports, but just a note. 

Good points but what if some do go back and others don't. Lets say Clarkrange is back in school but Greenfield is shut down. Is it a forfeit or does someone replace them?

32 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

Also a note: According to the law, as I understand it, the state can't shut down schools. They can only recommend that they shut down. Even after this most recent order by the governor, there were a number of districts that were exploring/contemplating coming back to school. Wiser heads prevailed, but don't be surprised if a district or two decides to try and go back even if there is a recommendation made to end the school year. Not that it would have any barring on sports, but just a note. 

Yeah if anything he looks to be more of a river boat gambler than one that is extremely cautious. JMO, but I wouldn’t expect a decision on schools for at least two-three weeks if I was betting on it.