The Tentative Plan

SportsWestTN

2 hours ago, ecu said:

Good points but what if some do go back and others don't. Lets say Clarkrange is back in school but Greenfield is shut down. Is it a forfeit or does someone replace them?

2 hours ago, SportsWestTN said:

Gov. Lee hasn't seemed anxious to take strong actions. People have been calling the state out for a while and I haven't seen them ratchet up the intensity. I expect it will be a few weeks before he makes a decision about extending the school shut down. 

Also a note: According to the law, as I understand it, the state can't shut down schools. They can only recommend that they shut down. Even after this most recent order by the governor, there were a number of districts that were exploring/contemplating coming back to school. Wiser heads prevailed, but don't be surprised if a district or two decides to try and go back even if there is a recommendation made to end the school year. Not that it would have any bearing on sports, but just a note. 

As I stated in my original post, some schools choosing to go back to school wouldn't have any bearing on sports. If the state recommends closing schools for the year, the TSSAA will follow suit with sports. Schools that went back could in theory still play regular season matches with other schools that are back in session, but there wouldn't be any point. The TSSAA will not sanction a postseason in which some schools are allowed to play and others aren't. 

10 hours ago, SportsWestTN said:

Gov. Lee hasn't seemed anxious to take strong actions. People have been calling the state out for a while and I haven't seen them ratchet up the intensity. I expect it will be a few weeks before he makes a decision about extending the school shut down. 

Also a note: According to the law, as I understand it, the state can't shut down schools. They can only recommend that they shut down. Even after this most recent order by the governor, there were a number of districts that were exploring/contemplating coming back to school. Wiser heads prevailed, but don't be surprised if a district or two decides to try and go back even if there is a recommendation made to end the school year. Not that it would have any bearing on sports, but just a note. 

Talk is cheap. Nobody in their right minds will buck the Governor's recommendations unless he extends beyond the Tn. Dept. of Health's advisement, and even then, probably not. In this "I'll file a liability lawsuit" culture that we've become, it would be risky to subject the public to a known risk against the "experts" advice. People are being arrested in this country right now for bio-terrorism, for simply going out in public while displaying symptoms of COVID-19, and a Florida pastor has been arrested for holding a church sermon... imagine requiring the attendance of a minor, and them contracting and/or spreading CV-19.

For TSSAA's announcement... best thing that they've taken the initiative to do in ages. I applaud them for trying to get the sports in, and more for setting a hard deadline. Everyone now knows the date that, if before we play, and if not, we don't.

Last part is purely my opinion... snowball's chance, but in Lloyd Christmas's famous words... "so you're telling me there's a chance!!!".

Edited by tradertwo

On 3/30/2020 at 7:46 PM, tradertwo said:

Talk is cheap. Nobody in their right minds will buck the Governor's recommendations unless he extends beyond the Tn. Dept. of Health's advisement, and even then, probably not. In this "I'll file a liability lawsuit" culture that we've become, it would be risky to subject the public to a known risk against the "experts" advice. People are being arrested in this country right now for bio-terrorism, for simply going out in public while displaying symptoms of COVID-19, and a Florida pastor has been arrested for holding a church sermon... imagine requiring the attendance of a minor, and them contracting and/or spreading CV-19.

For TSSAA's announcement... best thing that they've taken the initiative to do in ages. I applaud them for trying to get the sports in, and more for setting a hard deadline. Everyone now knows the date that, if before we play, and if not, we don't.

Last part is purely my opinion... snowball's chance, but in Lloyd Christmas's famous words... "so you're telling me there's a chance!!!".

Mic drop with the dumb and dumber quote. 

On 3/30/2020 at 11:17 AM, Commodorefan said:

Honesty I don’t think schools will go back this year and IMO the TSSAA realizes this too.  Hate it for all kids, coaches, and fans of these basketball teams and all spring sports teams.   We have never seen anything like this before and hope we never do again.  Everyone stay healthy and well.  

Danielson

Man who catch fly with chopstick, accomplish anything.  

USA accomplish anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Done deal. As of 3:00 (central) this afternoon, Gov. Lee announced that his recommendation was that schools not reconvene the 2019-2020 school year. Not familiar with other system's policy, but ours is "no school...no sports", and our system is following the advice of our Governor and officially cancelling the remainder of our school calendar. I guess that we'll soon see if any system bucks the State's Advisement, and moves forward with school related activities. I'm also interested to see if TSSAA revises their position, or if they simply ride out the remainder of their deadline for sanctioning sports.

27 minutes ago, ecu said:

The biggest question now is what happens when this school year is officially over which is end of May for most if not all. How does TSSAA rule on practice and summer camps  in June? Many questions to be answered.

I agree. Will be interesting to see how this unfolds. Just like every thing else. One day at a time. 

On 4/16/2020 at 8:18 AM, ecu said:

The biggest question now is what happens when this school year is officially over which is end of May for most if not all. How does TSSAA rule on practice and summer camps  in June? Many questions to be answered.

If they are conscious of their responsibility to the public and the liability of their actions, they will simply allow the Dept. of Health and the Governor to lead them through this. I look for things to return to normal only when Gov. Lee ends the social distancing recommendations... TSSAA will have some time constraint issues to work through in order to "fit" practice time, length of seasons, and possibly overlapping sport schedules if it's into the fall before that happens. The only other option available would be to allow small groups practice time with coaches, and the small benefit vs. large headache involved almost guarantee's that not to happen.

Edited by tradertwo