2020 Football Season (Emergency Coronavirus Plan): Hypothetical

BoardHater71

I just wanted to start this post by saying that I hope everyone is doing well and taking care of themselves during this terrible time our country is facing.  As an educator, coach, and mentor to young people I'd like to be the first to say that I miss the students.  I hope they are taking all of the necessary steps needed to remain healthy.  

I have read on several social media sites as well as articles on whether or not football needed to be played in the fall of 2020.  As a coach I desperately want to get back to the grind and hope that our students, especially the seniors, aren't "cheated" out of a year with their peers.  We all get caught up in the winning/losing and the competitive side of things.  At the end of the day it should always be about the kids and what is in the best interest for them.  

Tonight while sitting at home I drafted a potential outline of what an "Emergency Coronavirus Plan" could look like in the fall.  This is just my opinion and you all please feel more than free to comment and share your thoughts.  I hope it's not needed and hope that we are able to return to a normal schedule in May.  Here's what I came up with:

The Week of 9/4:  Preseason Week 1

The Week of 9/11:  Preseason Week 2

The Week of 9/18:  Preseason Week 3 (Jamborees)

9/25:  Week 1

10/2:  Week 2

10/9:  Week 3

10/16:  Week 4

10/23:  Week 5

10/30:  Week 6

11/6:  Week 7

11/13:  Week 8

11/20:  Week 9

11/27:  Week 10

Top 2 teams from each Region Qualify for the TSSAA State Playoffs.  16 team Playoff Brackets.  Playoff schedule as follows:

12/4:  First Round

12/11:  Quarterfinals

12/18:  Semifinals

The Next 2 Weeks are the weeks of Christmas and New Year's.  I'd propose a 2-Week Gap before the State Championships.

January 14, 15, 16 would be Blue Cross Bowl Weekend for the 2020 High School Football Season.

Tell me what you all think.  Stay safe everyone!  

I'm curious how you came up with 9/4 as the preseason starting point? Most year round schools start back in July, regular school systems start mid August. Are you implying that the virus will completely shut down the months of July and August with school starting back in September? The most radical shelter in place at this time is from Virginia with a June expiration. I can see an abbreviated playoff but there's no reason to carry the season into January. If we are at a point that we have to move the season that far back then having a football schedule will be the least of our worries. 

8 minutes ago, OldandBusted said:

I'm curious how you came up with 9/4 as the preseason starting point? Most year round schools start back in July, regular school systems start mid August. Are you implying that the virus will completely shut down the months of July and August with school starting back in September? The most radical shelter in place at this time is from Virginia with a June expiration. I can see an abbreviated playoff but there's no reason to carry the season into January. If we are at a point that we have to move the season that far back then having a football schedule will be the least of our worries. 

Just something to create conversation and help us escape the boredom

I think they would move to an abbreviated regular season, playing district games a priority. So say the largest district in the state has 7 teams (idk largest district), every team in the state would play 6 games. If your district only has 5 teams, then you would be allowed to pickup 2 non district games. Still take top four, playoffs go as normal.

I’m just hoping we have football season :-( 

• 2 weeks later...

COVID-19 EMERGENCY PLAN FOR THE 2020 SEASON

August 7                                               Preseason Week 1 (Shells)          

August 14                                            Preseason Week 2

August 21                                            Preseason Week 3

August 28                                            Preseason Week 4

September 4                                      Week 1

September 11                                    Week 2

September 18                                    Week 3

September 25                                    Week 4

October 2                                            Week 5

October 9                                            Week 6

October 16                                          Week 7

October 23                                          Week 8

October 30                                          Week 9

November 6                                       Week 10

November 13                                     Week 11

November 20                                     First Round

November 27                                     Second Round

December 4                                        Quarterfinals

December 11                                     Semifinals

December 17, 18, 19                        Blue Cross Bowl Games

On 4/7/2020 at 9:53 PM, WesTNFootball said:

I think they would move to an abbreviated regular season, playing district games a priority. So say the largest district in the state has 7 teams (idk largest district), every team in the state would play 6 games. If your district only has 5 teams, then you would be allowed to pickup 2 non district games. Still take top four, playoffs go as normal.

I’m just hoping we have football season :-( 

I do not think we will have sports this fall

I said this many times on the Maryville threads that streaming games was the future of high school football and will possibly be a way to add lost revenue. Now that we're in this kettle of fish it couldn't be more important than ever. Even if there was a football season the attendance would be down 75% which wouldn't pay the light bill at some schools. I also see a smaller schools not being able to even field a team because some parents are going to say no, it's to risky. I can only guess at this because the situation has gotten much worse in just a month. We were rescheduling the basketball in May only to be cancelled again. This distancing ourselves is going to be the main cause of this disruption and from what I see is that this could play out as far out as 2022 according to health officials. Much as I love football I will still go but I plan on setting a mile away from anyone. the other thing I see out of all of this from the online schooling is that it also could be the future instead of $150 million dollar school buildings that function more as a giant day care center than a place to learn and don't think for a minute this hasn't registered yet with our leaders and a way to cut money. All I can say is that we need to send Doc and Marty back to 1980 and tell them what kind of monster we've created before it's all gone.

20 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I said this many times on the Maryville threads that streaming games was the future of high school football and will possibly be a way to add lost revenue. Now that we're in this kettle of fish it couldn't be more important than ever. Even if there was a football season the attendance would be down 75% which wouldn't pay the light bill at some schools. I also see a smaller schools not being able to even field a team because some parents are going to say no, it's to risky. I can only guess at this because the situation has gotten much worse in just a month. We were rescheduling the basketball in May only to be cancelled again. This distancing ourselves is going to be the main cause of this disruption and from what I see is that this could play out as far out as 2022 according to health officials. Much as I love football I will still go but I plan on setting a mile away from anyone. the other thing I see out of all of this from the online schooling is that it also could be the future instead of $150 million dollar school buildings that function more as a giant day care center than a place to learn and don't think for a minute this hasn't registered yet with our leaders and a way to cut money. All I can say is that we need to send Doc and Marty back to 1980 and tell them what kind of monster we've created before it's all gone.

I agree sadly. I do not think people are taking this as serious as they should.