2020 Football Season (Emergency Coronavirus Plan): Hypothetical

BoardHater71

I just wanted to start this post by saying that I hope everyone is doing well and taking care of themselves during this terrible time our country is facing.  As an educator, coach, and mentor to young people I'd like to be the first to say that I miss the students.  I hope they are taking all of the necessary steps needed to remain healthy.  

I have read on several social media sites as well as articles on whether or not football needed to be played in the fall of 2020.  As a coach I desperately want to get back to the grind and hope that our students, especially the seniors, aren't "cheated" out of a year with their peers.  We all get caught up in the winning/losing and the competitive side of things.  At the end of the day it should always be about the kids and what is in the best interest for them.  

Tonight while sitting at home I drafted a potential outline of what an "Emergency Coronavirus Plan" could look like in the fall.  This is just my opinion and you all please feel more than free to comment and share your thoughts.  I hope it's not needed and hope that we are able to return to a normal schedule in May.  Here's what I came up with:

The Week of 9/4:  Preseason Week 1

The Week of 9/11:  Preseason Week 2

The Week of 9/18:  Preseason Week 3 (Jamborees)

9/25:  Week 1

10/2:  Week 2

10/9:  Week 3

10/16:  Week 4

10/23:  Week 5

10/30:  Week 6

11/6:  Week 7

11/13:  Week 8

11/20:  Week 9

11/27:  Week 10

Top 2 teams from each Region Qualify for the TSSAA State Playoffs.  16 team Playoff Brackets.  Playoff schedule as follows:

12/4:  First Round

12/11:  Quarterfinals

12/18:  Semifinals

The Next 2 Weeks are the weeks of Christmas and New Year's.  I'd propose a 2-Week Gap before the State Championships.

January 14, 15, 16 would be Blue Cross Bowl Weekend for the 2020 High School Football Season.

Tell me what you all think.  Stay safe!

Howdoitknow I agree I hope everyone is healthy and using this time to spend with your immediate family. As for your scenario I think everything would need to take place before Christmas break. I say move everything up one week or exclude jamboree. Hate doing that but I would rather have a game-like scrimmage or two than a jamboree. 

How about this:

• Season starts one month later than normal
  • Only play region games (probably max of 7 games)
  • Nobody has an "off" week
  • Then start the playoffs based on region results

Yeah, it's not perfect, for one thing not all teams have the same # of region games.   But you have to hope that someone at the T$$AA is at least contemplating some kind of plan.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2020 at 4:38 PM, blazer1set said:

How about this:

• Season starts one month later than normal
  • Only play region games (probably max of 7 games)
  • Nobody has an "off" week
  • Then start the playoffs based on region results

Yeah, it's not perfect, for one thing not all teams have the same # of region games.   But you have to hope that someone at the T$$AA is at least contemplating some kind of plan.

Impossible to put into legislature "only play region games" because nobody has the same number of regions (heck even some in Memphis only have 3 region games) but I do like a season starting a little later but playoffs starting around the regular scheduled time in November.

You can't keep pushing it back without hurting basketball. Most basketball teams will have played over half their schedule by Jan. 1. And there is no good solution because of the varying numbers in regions. It is time to realize that some will get virus (like flu) and get sick but few will die except those with underlying conditions and the elderly. We can't wait til  there  is no one getting it. We can go 15 mph on interstate and cut all deaths in travel but no one wants that. It is time to live again. And I have no problem with those who want to shelter themselves in. Use common sense and we will get through this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, ecu said:

You can't keep pushing it back without hurting basketball. Most basketball teams will have played over half their schedule by Jan. 1. And there is no good solution because of the varying numbers in regions. It is time to realize that some will get virus (like flu) and get sick but few will die except those with underlying conditions and the elderly. We can't wait til  there  is no one getting it. We can go 15 mph on interstate and cut all deaths in travel but no one wants that. It is time to live again. And I have no problem with those who want to shelter themselves in. Use common sense and we will get through this.

I tend to agree with this.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ecu said:

When we starting using math in place of doing what is right, then we have failed as a society. Until there is proven treatment/vaccine and the rate of new cases has flattened, you risk a 2nd wave of infection. I want sports back as much as anyone, but this is the biggest public health crisis in over 100 years, sports is a luxury. I hate it for the kids but it's for the best

55 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

When we starting using math in place of doing what is right, then we have failed as a society. Until there is proven treatment/vaccine and the rate of new cases has flattened, you risk a 2nd wave of infection. I want sports back as much as anyone, but this is the biggest public health crisis in over 100 years, sports is a luxury. I hate it for the kids but it's for the best

I agree that there will be no sports or even large crowds of people until a proven treatment and vaccine.